Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More Banjo: Pussies of Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Can we just say it together

MATT LAFLEUR DOES NOT WANT TO FIRE HIS FRIEND JOE BARRY
    He's just trying to provide some cover for Joe until the end of the year, when he has to can him, finally.

It's more dignified for Barry this way. And a credit to The Flower.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He's just trying to provide some cover for Joe until the end of the year, when he has to can him, finally.

Correct. To all the "we needed to let Fat Mike finish the season" people out there, MiLF is doing exactly that. I was glad we canned fat mike when we did and I wish they would can Barry right now. MiLF is a nicer person than I am.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    so lafleur somehow is blaming the offense for the defense almost giving the game away

https://lombardiave.com/posts/matt-l...barry-panthers

time for lafleur to go
    Just completely baffling. We score on 6 of 9 drives during the game not counting the drive at the end of the first half where we let the clock run out. And it was on the O to pick up the shitty D?
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Just completely baffling. We score on 6 of 9 drives during the game not counting the drive at the end of the first half where we let the clock run out. And it was on the O to pick up the shitty D?
    That’s just kicking your offensive players in the nuts to make your d cord feel better about himself

That’s bullshit, and if I’m an offensive player I’m telling my coach to fuck off

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

That is what we thought last year
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I won't knock LaFleur for not beating a dead reindeer on Christmas Eve. As long as he does what needs to be done after the season.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Boy the LBs looked lost in coverage against a bad team.
    The secondary looked a half second slow as well, not sure if that's Jaire/Stokes being rusty or what. Safeties are meh at best.

The O wasn't flawless but they sure outplayed the D. MLFs comments were baffling... has to be a smokescreen for Barry, who has had a problematic defense for 3 straight weeks. Bryce Young has not looked good this year, except for the HOU game and this one. This was his best game, just like Tommy DeVito and Baker. This defense is supposed to be bend but don't break, and they give up explosive plays all the time...in other words, it's breaking. I will be apoplectic if Barry isn't hired when the season ends. I'm sure he's a nice guy and knows lots about football, but this defense hasn't improved under his tenure, and I don't think the players have developed at all. It looks like they are playing end-of-half prevent defense all the time. This is not a championship defense, not a 'good' one, not even an 'average' one. Deserved or not, Barry has to be the fall guy. At the start of the season Gute made comments about expectations for the defense, and I don't think they are being met. I know Gute can't have Barry fired (MLF controls hiring/firing of coaches) but it's clear there's going to have to be a change this offseason. It would be insanity not to.

I'm pretty confident Barely is gone after the season. It's just been too much, and when you read the players' comments, it's clear that though they're toeing the company line, they're barely doing so - so it would be suicide for The Flower to bring Joe back.

I do think we should call Joe Barely's defense a "bend over, then break" defense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Best/worst PFF Grades:

Top 5 offense

1. RB Aaron Jones: 81.4
    2. WR Bo Melton: 79.1
    3. QB Jordan Love: 77.4
    4. WR Romeo Doubs: 71.5
    5. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 68.3

Jones produced five runs of at least 10 yards and 100 yards after first contact while forcing six missed tackles and creating eight first downs. Melton made four catches — gaining three first downs, including one on third down — on just 14 routes run. He made a contested catch and also ran once for seven yards. Love hit two passes over 20 yards, didn’t have a turnover-worthy play and was once again very good from clean pockets. Doubs caught four of five targets, made two contested catches, forced two missed tackles and had a perfect 158.3 passer rating when targeted. He was dinged by a fumble. Wicks caught both of his targets for 29 yards and a touchdown over 13 routes.

Top 5 defense

1. DL Karl Brooks: 80.0
    2. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 71.1
    3. OLB Preston Smith: 70.3
    4. DL Colby Wooden: 67.8
    5. S Jonathan Owens: 65.4

Brooks delivered two pressures, including a quarterback hit, over 17 total snaps. Van Ness had two quarterback hits and a run stop. Smith led the team with five pressures, including two sacks and two quarterback hits. Wooden had an assisted tackle and received a solid run grade on eight snaps. Owens was tied for the team lead with three stops, and he was in on six tackles without a miss.

Bottom 5 offense

1. WR Samori Toure: 38.2
    2. LT Rasheed Walker: 40.6
    3. C Josh Myers: 41.3
    4. RG Sean Rhyan: 44.8
    5. RT Zach Tom: 46.6

Toure dropped a pass and didn’t catch either of his targets over just six passing snaps. Walker gave up a pressure, had a penalty and received the lowest run-blocking grade of the offensive line. Myers gave up a sack and struggled in the run game. Rhyan played half the snaps at right guard and received poor grades in the run game. Tom gave up two pressures and wasn’t effective in the run game.

Bottom 5 defense

1. DL Devonte Wyatt: 40.2
    2. S Anthony Johnson Jr.: 40.7
    3. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 43.3
    4. CB Keisean Nixon: 51.4
    5. OLB Rashan Gary: 55.9

Wyatt missed a tackle and committed two penalties. Johnson gave up three catches in coverage, missed three tackles and had a 15-yard penalty. McDuffie gave up three catches, including a 30-yarder, and committed a penalty. Nixon allowed four catches on four targets, including three catches for first downs and two over 20 yards. Gary had three pressures, including two hits, but he also missed a tackle and earned a poor run defense grade (likely as a result of losing the edge on a touchdown run).

Special teams

Sunday’s win was the Packers’ second-lowest graded game on special teams in 2023. Josiah Deguara missed a tackle, Lukas Van Ness committed a drive-extending penalty on special teams and Anders Carlson missed an extra point after a high snap. Daniel Whelan had a net punting average of 47.5. Keisean Nixon had a 38-yard kickoff return but averaged just 3.0 yards across two punt returns.

Quarterback

Jordan Love: 77.4 Love was under pressure on just five of 30 dropbacks, and he was excellent from clean pockets, averaging 8.2 yards per attempt with an adjusted completion percentage of almost 80.0 and a passer rating of 116.6. He hit on two of five passes over 20 yards, took just one sack and didn’t have a play deemed turnover worthy. Packers receivers dropped three of his passes.

I said it was time to let Walker play an entire game, now I regret it. My impression was that he had a bad game, but I was waiting on the rankings to be sure (same for Wyatt who played his worst game of the year from my standpoint). I didn't focus on the game like normal. I'll probably rewatch it this week just to pay better attention. Nice to see Brooks bounce back. Love just looks like the real deal. Here comes cap hell again.

. . . . And, after five years of cap hell and hopefully big team successes, comes the petulant demands about signing his favorite homeboy/receiver, then articles about him losing touch with the young guys, then talk of a 100 million a year contract, and a botched DUI after the local cops realized who they'd pulled over der in Appleton, eh?

Edited by admin because people should know better

KYPack

. . . . And, after five years of cap hell and hopefully big team successes, comes the petulant demands about signing his favorite homeboy/receiver, then articles about him losing touch with the young guys, then talk of a 100 million a year contract, and a botched DUI after the local cops realized who they'd pulled over der in Appleton, eh?
    As long as those 5 years include at least 1 Owl, and he doesn't go play for the Vikings, most will be forgiven.

Edited by admin because people should know better
    Ruh roh. I don't even remember what I wrote.

KYPack

Are you all ready to resign Love? I would personally wait until next season after a few weeks. They have the franchise tag so he isn’t going anywhere. He seems like he’s going to be the guy but I’d still like to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Are you all ready to resign Love? I would personally wait until next season after a few weeks. They have the franchise tag so he isn’t going anywhere. He seems like he’s going to be the guy but I’d still like to see more.
    I'm not sure what a few games next year would tell them that they haven't already seen. They obviously felt strongly about him before or he wouldn't have been the starter and I have to believe he's met or exceeded their expectations. Because they've already extended his contract to next year, they can't do anything with it until May. I expect he'll get an extension next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    HOPEFULLY (I'm not hopeful) this will be a situation where they can sign him to a more modest deal by making a fair offer for both sides as soon as the season ends. Based on stupid QB numbers of recent deals I would think a deal with a little extra guaranteed money, but a little less per season would land around $35 million a year. More likely they drop $45 a year on him. If those are his demands, then yes, I would make him play half of next season before offering it.

Ruh roh. I don't even remember what I wrote.
    It was the whiskey talkin', not me - Jerry Lee Lewis