Thread: Which Players Do You Think Are Obviously GONE next year?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One last point. After trading Douglas for a song, can we expect an offseason of "righting the cap"? I mean if they sent him packing, why not Bak, Jones, Preston, Campbell and trade Jaire. All those moves would be superior to trading Douglas when we did for what we got imo.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    One last point. After trading Douglas for a song, can we expect an offseason of "righting the cap"? I mean if they sent him packing, why not Bak, Jones, Preston, Campbell and trade Jaire. All those moves would be superior to trading Douglas when we did for what we got imo.
    I'm assuming you're either being sarcastic or exaggerating.

Jaire is technically in the first year of his extension, and they already redid some of his money this year, pushing it into future years. The cap hit to trade him would be one of the highest in history, and the largest for a non-QB. He's sticking around.

Campbell feels like a goner to me after the twitter outburst and being out the last two games. I've heard he's back at practice so who knows. He's gotten older, slower, and he's not an All-Pro anymore. ILBs are the RBs of the defense -- they take a beating and most wear out around 30. They'll save around 3M by cutting him which isn't much but I think they will need that cap space. Plus I think they might look at a ILB in the mid/late rounds.

Preston Smith and Aaron Jones are prime candidates for contract re-do's. I.e., ask them to take pay cuts. I can't imagine there will be a market for either that will pay them more than half of what they would make next year. OTOH, Ron Wolf's maxim of better to cut one year early than one year too late is one they likely relearned painfully in 2022, so they are 50/50.

I have no idea on Bakhtiari, I think they really want him back if he's finally healthy. Otherwise, he's a goner. They might do it anyway because of the cap space gained by cutting him. Rasheed Walker is no franchise LT, but he might be able to hold it down while they draft/develop their next guy. I don't think Bakhtiari will take a pay cut. Maybe his agent talks some sense into him, but even with the pay cut, they kicked so much of his money forward IDK if they could get much cap relief there. My guess is he's let go, Asst. GM Rodgers signs him to play a year for the NYJ, and his knee flares up on that garbage turf at MetLife Field, and he retires after the season.

The cap doesn't truly right itself until 2025. Last offseason they were like $30M in the hole, this year they'll have about 10M in space, so they don't have to do as much manuvering, but will still do some. Once Rodgers (and Jones', and Bakhtiari's) come off the books, they'll have space.
    Gary's contract will kick in, and Jordan Love will need a new deal, but they will be able to fit those then.

I agree a R3 and swap for Rasul feels like nothing, and with a chance at the playoffs they sure could use him. Even though it's a bad move short-term, I think long term it's a good move.
    They have 5 picks in the top 90 including the Rasul trade pick. Not bad considering they got Rasul for nothing off a PS and then gave him a modest contract. I would argue that GB got a lot of value out of him while he was here. They can easily turn that pick into a player (possibly even a CB or S) who has 4 years under a cheap deal.