Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Players Do You Think Are Obviously GONE next year?

The obvious gone are guys like DeGuera and Runyan. Neither is a guy who has developed. They need to be replaced obviously. Probably Wagner as well.

On D there are no "obvious" guys like that and a lot depends on how Gutes and the new D coordinator want to approach things. McDuffie's play probably makes Campbell expendable in a salary move. Savage probably should be finished here, but get the right system and he has value still. LVN needs snaps and Enagbare is solid as a 3rd guy, but Preston is a pro. Cutting Preston to save minimal $$ seems foolish to me. Especially when you can slide Gary or LVN inside on obvious passing downs.

I guess what I'm saying is that nothing would shock me at this point. We could end up with Bak, Jones and Preston all on next years roster if chips fall into place. Or, all 3 could be gone. MiLF loves Campbell so is he gone for sure? This is going to be a very interesting off season. Hell, with a weak TE draft I could even see them bringing back DeGuera.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

One last point. After trading Douglas for a song, can we expect an offseason of "righting the cap"? I mean if they sent him packing, why not Bak, Jones, Preston, Campbell and trade Jaire. All those moves would be superior to trading Douglas when we did for what we got imo.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    One last point. After trading Douglas for a song, can we expect an offseason of "righting the cap"? I mean if they sent him packing, why not Bak, Jones, Preston, Campbell and trade Jaire. All those moves would be superior to trading Douglas when we did for what we got imo.
    I'm assuming you're either being sarcastic or exaggerating.

Jaire is technically in the first year of his extension, and they already redid some of his money this year, pushing it into future years. The cap hit to trade him would be one of the highest in history, and the largest for a non-QB. He's sticking around.

Campbell feels like a goner to me after the twitter outburst and being out the last two games. I've heard he's back at practice so who knows. He's gotten older, slower, and he's not an All-Pro anymore. ILBs are the RBs of the defense -- they take a beating and most wear out around 30. They'll save around 3M by cutting him which isn't much but I think they will need that cap space. Plus I think they might look at a ILB in the mid/late rounds.

Preston Smith and Aaron Jones are prime candidates for contract re-do's. I.e., ask them to take pay cuts. I can't imagine there will be a market for either that will pay them more than half of what they would make next year. OTOH, Ron Wolf's maxim of better to cut one year early than one year too late is one they likely relearned painfully in 2022, so they are 50/50.

I have no idea on Bakhtiari, I think they really want him back if he's finally healthy. Otherwise, he's a goner. They might do it anyway because of the cap space gained by cutting him. Rasheed Walker is no franchise LT, but he might be able to hold it down while they draft/develop their next guy. I don't think Bakhtiari will take a pay cut. Maybe his agent talks some sense into him, but even with the pay cut, they kicked so much of his money forward IDK if they could get much cap relief there. My guess is he's let go, Asst. GM Rodgers signs him to play a year for the NYJ, and his knee flares up on that garbage turf at MetLife Field, and he retires after the season.

The cap doesn't truly right itself until 2025. Last offseason they were like $30M in the hole, this year they'll have about 10M in space, so they don't have to do as much manuvering, but will still do some. Once Rodgers (and Jones', and Bakhtiari's) come off the books, they'll have space.
    Gary's contract will kick in, and Jordan Love will need a new deal, but they will be able to fit those then.

I agree a R3 and swap for Rasul feels like nothing, and with a chance at the playoffs they sure could use him. Even though it's a bad move short-term, I think long term it's a good move.
    They have 5 picks in the top 90 including the Rasul trade pick. Not bad considering they got Rasul for nothing off a PS and then gave him a modest contract. I would argue that GB got a lot of value out of him while he was here. They can easily turn that pick into a player (possibly even a CB or S) who has 4 years under a cheap deal.

Bakh is gone. He's not voluntarily taking a pay cut and there's no WAY you can take a change he might get through a season even playing 1/2 of the games with the contract as it's currently structured.

Can he realistically be traded? I know the New York Aarons would love to have him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Can he realistically be traded? I know the New York Aarons would love to have him.
    I think so. As the contract stands now, there will be 19M of dead money if they cut him or trade him before June 1. 40M cap hit if they keep him.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Agree.

The thing is, what do you get in trade for a guy who has played 13 games in 3 years and barely practiced during that time? What's the value?
    Would he pass another team's physical? If GB is likely to release him, why trade anything for him?

Probably would have to put a lot of conditions on the trade, but if you get can anything for him (and you're cutting him anyway) I suppose you do it. The way Gute talks, he wants to keep him but that might be wishful thinking.

Well, if Guter keeps talking about keeping him, and the New Aaron Jets think they could pick up a high-quality left tackle for a fourth or fifth round pick, and that massages Aaron’s needy ego, you might roll the dice.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Bakh is gone. And so is Yosh.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Yosh Nijman T GB UFA - GONE
    Keisean Nixon CB GB UFA Market Value GONE
    Darnell Savage S GB UFA - Signed cheap
    Johnathan Ford FS GB UFA - GONE
    David Long CB GB UFA - I don’t know who he is
    A.J. Dillon RB GB UFA Market Value signed cheap
    Eric Wilson OLB GB UFA - no clue
    Josiah Deguara TE GB UFA - GONE!!!!
    Tyler Davis TE GB UFA - GONE!!!
    Jonathan Owens SS GB UFA - Double GONE
    Zayne Anderson S GB RFA - Don’t know who he is
    Robert Rochell CB GB RFA - He’ll be in camp
    Jon Runyan G GB UFA - DOUBLE GONE
    Caleb Jones T GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Daniel Whelan P GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Benny Sapp III S GB ERFA - WHO KNOWS
    Patrick Taylor RB GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Bo Melton WR GB ERFA - He’s gonna be here
    Christian Uphoff S GB UFA Don’t know who he is

Bakhtiari is gone and Jones is restructured.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 01-05-2024 at 05:40 PM.

The nice thing about Savage not being a very good player is that every team in the league knows he’s not a very good player. Same for Dillon. So you keep some experienced guys around for cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Tyler Davis back. They really liked his ST play before he was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Yosh Nijman T GB UFA - GONE
    Keisean Nixon CB GB UFA Market Value GONE
    Darnell Savage S GB UFA - Signed cheap
    Johnathan Ford FS GB UFA - GONE
    David Long CB GB UFA - I don’t know who he is
    A.J. Dillon RB GB UFA Market Value signed cheap
    Eric Wilson OLB GB UFA - no clue
    Josiah Deguara TE GB UFA - GONE!!!!
    Tyler Davis TE GB UFA - GONE!!!
    Jonathan Owens SS GB UFA - Double GONE
    Zayne Anderson S GB RFA - Don’t know who he is
    Robert Rochell CB GB RFA - He’ll be in camp
    Jon Runyan G GB UFA - DOUBLE GONE
    Caleb Jones T GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Daniel Whelan P GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Benny Sapp III S GB ERFA - WHO KNOWS
    Patrick Taylor RB GB ERFA - IN CAMP
    Bo Melton WR GB ERFA - He’s gonna be here
    Christian Uphoff S GB UFA Don’t know who he is

Bakhtiari is gone and Jones is restructured.
    A lot of that is probably wrong.

Owens very likely not gone. Runyan at least 50/50 not gone. Nixon also at least 50/50 he stays. Isn't Johnnathan Ford a Def Tackle? Rudy Ford is the Safety, and he's strongly likely to stay. Whelan is solid. Dillon probably re-signed slightly/not very cheap. Yosh 50/50 to not be gone. Savage probably gone. Tyler Davis 50/50.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

How quickly we went from Bak won’t play on turf to he’s gonna get traded to the worst field in the league lol. I just don’t see it. I truly think he get cut and resign aka AJ Hawk.

Funny how you guys dismissed my assertion that Preston Smith will be gonzo, but I’m gonna stick with it and see.

Hard to predict the future- we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Funny how you guys dismissed my assertion that Preston Smith will be gonzo, but I’m gonna stick with it and see.

If he's gonna be gone it will be right away. He's due a 5.4 million roster bonus 3rd day of the new league year. It's after that they would only save 2.5 million on the cap by cutting him. If he gets the roster bonus, he'll be here. He's emerged as a team leader, and arguably their most consistent pass rusher. I think he'll be here one more year,

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If he's gonna be gone it will be right away. He's due a 5.4 million roster bonus 3rd day of the new league year. It's after that they would only save 2.5 million on the cap by cutting him. If he gets the roster bonus, he'll be here. He's emerged as a team leader, and arguably their most consistent pass rusher. I think he'll be here one more year,
    Fair enough my fellow Packer fan, I trust your information on this.
    I think the new league year starts July 17 actually. so the roster bonus of 5.4 Trillion fickin’ dollars would be July 20th then?

I’m going on a hunch that Preston Smith is done with our Packers after Sunday.
    Yes Rashan Gary signed his contract extension in October but I’m still sticking with my guns on this.

“The Packers have prepared for the future at outside linebacker. Green Bay drafted Lukas Van Ness with the 13th overall pick in this year's draft, and it's only a matter of time before he moves ahead of Smith on the depth chart.”
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 01-06-2024 at 01:31 AM.

Fair enough my fellow Packer fan, I trust your information on this.
    I think the new league year starts July 17 actually. so the roster bonus of 5.4 Trillion fickin’ dollars would be July 20th then?

I’m going on a hunch that Preston Smith is done with our Packers after Sunday.
    Yes Rashan Gary signed his contract extension in October but I’m still sticking with my guns on this.

“The Packers have prepared for the future at outside linebacker. Green Bay drafted Lukas Van Ness with the 13th overall pick in this year's draft, and it's only a matter of time before he moves ahead of Smith on the depth chart.”
    The new league year starts March 13. The date you gave was the last day to apply the franchise tag to anyone. https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/n...ant-nfl-dates/

I'm really hoping they can restructure P.Smith.

I haven't seen enough out of LVN to think he's going to make a big step next year.

The rotation of Smith/Gary, Engabare/LVN seems effective at keeping fresh legs on the field.

The team needs veteran leadership.

For sure, you could be right too. Some of us like to give hot takes and say no way or it’s never gonna happen…. But we’ve all been wrong. A million times!