Thread: Ken Bowman, Rest in Peace

Ken Bowman, Rest in Peace

Former Packer center Ken Bowman, of the late-mid- to late-Lombardi era and beyond, died not long ago. No one's said anything here.

He was a famously tough guy, playing through pain and a dislocated shoulder in Super Bowl I.

In an article I read, I saw this line: "Undersized at 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Bowman played center for the Packers from 1964-73."

Imagine that. a 230 lb center - even in the 60's, that was light. Though players were generally not as heavy as they are now. Hall of Famer Buck Buchanon, a defensive tackle if I recall correctly, "only" weighed about 275. Imagine the Packers drafting a defensive tackle who weighed 275. Hell, a defensive end who weighs 275 would seem a bit undersized. That's more the weight of a big outside linebacker these days.

Bowman took over for Jim Ringo after the All-Pro was traded in '64.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Though I had never heard of him until now RIP.

Ken Bowman, fucked, in perpetuity, by Jerry Kramer.

RIP.

Backup to hero. RIP. Old School. He was a lawyer after football correct?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Backup to hero. RIP. Old School. He was a lawyer after football correct?
    Yes. This story goes into a little detail about his post-Packer career. https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...1/72084904007/
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Ken Bowman, fucked, in perpetuity, by Jerry Kramer.

RIP.
    Yep. Fuck Jerry Kramer. That was the all time prick move. RIP Ken.

And Mad....he was the "other" guy who put Bart in the endzone in the ice bowl. Kramer talked him into being the "good team mate" and not taking any credit for the block.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

“I remember Lombardi calling Jerry to the podium before I went into the training room. He passed my locker as I’m getting undressed and I told him, ‘Don’t forget to tell them it was a double-team.’ I didn’t think I had to remind him. He said, ‘You’ve got 10 more years to make another block like that. Let an old guy get the glory.’ I guess that’s what he did. He took the credit in his book, ‘Instant Replay.’ Somebody interviewed Jethro and he actually said I got a better block on him than Jerry. I didn’t write a book. Jerry did.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ry/ar-AA1moYVz

I read this story before. I remember reading about Kramer telling him that and taking all the credit. I've hated Kramer ever since. I met him in Green Bay once at the Brass Rail (a bar back when). I said something like "Hey, you're Jerry Kramer. I should buy you a beer, but I don't buy beer for self aggrandizing attention whores who fuck over their team mates". It felt good. Real good. I'd do it again.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Yep. Fuck Jerry Kramer. That was the all time prick move. RIP Ken.

And Mad....he was the "other" guy who put Bart in the endzone in the ice bowl. Kramer talked him into being the "good team mate" and not taking any credit for the block.
    Wow that’s fucked up. Can’t imagine a current NFLer doing the same. That’s good that you told his ass what you really thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    “I remember Lombardi calling Jerry to the podium before I went into the training room. He passed my locker as I’m getting undressed and I told him, ‘Don’t forget to tell them it was a double-team.’ I didn’t think I had to remind him. He said, ‘You’ve got 10 more years to make another block like that. Let an old guy get the glory.’ I guess that’s what he did. He took the credit in his book, ‘Instant Replay.’ Somebody interviewed Jethro and he actually said I got a better block on him than Jerry. I didn’t write a book. Jerry did.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ry/ar-AA1moYVz

I read this story before. I remember reading about Kramer telling him that and taking all the credit. I've hated Kramer ever since. I met him in Green Bay once at the Brass Rail (a bar back when). I said something like "Hey, you're Jerry Kramer. I should buy you a beer, but I don't buy beer for self aggrandizing attention whores who fuck over their team mates". It felt good. Real good. I'd do it again.
    Even in Kramer's book, it reads really shitty:

"Kenny Bowman came up to me smiling and said: 'Don't take all the credit, Kramer. Don't take all the credit. I helped you with that block."

" 'Shut up, Bow' I said. 'You've got ten more years to play. You've got plenty of time for glory. I ain't telling anybody anything. If they think I made that block alone, I'm gonna let them think it."

What a right, cunt.

Good on you, Bobs, for calling that prick out.

Actually Lombardi is as much to blame as anybody. When CBS and Tom Brookshier show the replay from the Packers locker room, Lombardi yells "Attaboy Jerry!" No mention of Bowman from Lombardi.

It appears at 1:02:30 on the video.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I went to YouTube and re-looked at the play. Kramer got off the line quick and low and got into Pugh's body. Bowman came in high a split second later. Bart was mostly passed and into the endzone because of Kramer. Bowman probably helped, but not much.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Wow that’s fucked up. Can’t imagine a current NFLer doing the same. That’s good that you told his ass what you really thought.
    He's a lot bigger than me, but also much older. I can't say it was brave telling off an old man, but I just have a lifelong sore towards selfish pricks (and another one from a girl named candy, but I digress).

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Actually Lombardi is as much to blame as anybody. When CBS and Tom Brookshier show the replay from the Packers locker room, Lombardi yells "Attaboy Jerry!" No mention of Bowman from Lombardi.

It appears at 1:02:30 on the video.

Fuckin’ Lombardi. Prick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack