Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Black Monday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I’m with Tex on this one. Pete Carroll cheated at USC and just before the university was about to get nailed, the rat jumped off the ship so he wouldn’t have to coach through the sanctions the NCAA dropped on the program.

He’s probably a role model for Jim Harbaugh.
    +1

Carroll is a shit human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    It’s official, Bill Belichick out of New England.

Presser at Noon. Everyone is wondering if Bill will show any emotion - I doubt it.

Woooooooooo!

PFT has all sorts of juicy speculation.

Belichick to the Cowboys if the Pack beats them this weekend?!

Saucy!

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Pete Carroll's retirement press conference was awesome. More teams should give an exiting coach a presser. It feels like the Packers really did McCarthy dirty a few years back. Pete Carroll seems like a genuinely good person. One of the few dudes to win a SB and an NCAA.
    Pete is staying with the team, that is why he got a presser. The packers did McCarthy just fine. He was done. You feel he was done wrong because whined and cried that he was done wrong when he should have owned up to his failures and given a classy good bye like Pete did.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Woooooooooo!

PFT has all sorts of juicy speculation.

Belichick to the Cowboys if the Pack beats them this weekend?!

Saucy!
    Jerry would never do Fat mike dirty like the Packers did!!

(sarcasm tex...and a bit of humor).

I heard Pete Carroll was retiring from coaching because he's 70, and taking on an advisory role with the Seahawks... so, not fired.

Belichick was a mild surprise. Based on the more recent rumblings, there was a chance he'd stay if he gave up the GM duties, and it sounded like he was open to it. BB is pretty old too and after 20 some years with NE probably is ready to be done. He'll be a first ballot HOF no matter what grudges anyone in the press might have with him.

Nick Saban retiring from Alabama was a bit of a surprise, but I think he's done too. When you're worshipped as a CFB HC no need for the NFL grind.

I have heard that a lot of CFB coaches are absolutely fed up with the NIL and the transfer portal stuff, so maybe some younger CFB coaches try to break into the NFL.

How many job openings were there last year? I can only think of DEN, CAR, IND ,HOU, and ARI (or was ARI the year before?), so it's a few more job openings than last year.

Saban has been wining about the new rules for two years. He knows his teams are done. He can’t recruit everyone to the SEC powerhouse where they get their best chance at NFL aspirations anymore. Now the kids get money and he can’t compete without his advantage he had.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Honestly, at this point, anyone who hires Belichick is a fool going after fool's gold.

He's more used up than a $50 hooker.

If you hire him, you're not hiring talent and expertise and creativity. You're hiring the name. And that's all that's left.

Unless you give him a HOF QB - and even then, I dunno. Though he did prove that a QB can "make" a coach.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Honestly, at this point, anyone who hires Belichick is a fool going after fool's gold.

He's more used up than a $50 hooker.

If you hire him, you're not hiring talent and expertise and creativity. You're hiring the name. And that's all that's left.

Unless you give him a HOF QB - and even then, I dunno. Though he did prove that a QB can "make" a coach.
    The thing with Belichick was he was a bad GM. It caught up with NE once Brady was gone. Anyone hiring him needs to have a strong GM who will not have to defer to Belichick on player personnel matters.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The thing with Belichick was he was a bad GM. It caught up with NE once Brady was gone. Anyone hiring him needs to have a strong GM who will not have to defer to Belichick on player personnel matters.
    True. I loved it when Detroit went all-in on “the New England Way” a few years back with both their coach AND GM.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Patriots hire LB coach Jerrod Mayo as HC.

Atlanta
    Carolina
    Las Vegas
    LA Chargers
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Seattle
    New England Jerod Mayo
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-12-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Patriots hire LB coach Jerrod Mayo as HC.

Atlanta
    Carolina
    Las Vegas
    LA Chargers
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Seattle
    New England Jerrod Mayo
    When Jerod Mayo was a linebacker, did offensive linemen often hold the mayo?

Boy, Kraft sure knew what he wanted. Belichik's seat was still warm when Mayo sat down in it.

KYPack

Boy, Kraft sure knew what he wanted. Belichik's seat was still warm when Mayo sat down in it.
    There are reports that NE adjusted Mayo contract recently that had a succession clause if/when BB stepped down.

Mayo was considered a future HC candidate in previous years, I'm not surprised.
    I also expect that NE wasn't going to let BB go without having someone in mind to replace him quickly.

Kraft-Mayo, seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I heard Pete Carroll was retiring from coaching because he's 70, and taking on an advisory role with the Seahawks... so, not fired.

Belichick was a mild surprise. Based on the more recent rumblings, there was a chance he'd stay if he gave up the GM duties, and it sounded like he was open to it. BB is pretty old too and after 20 some years with NE probably is ready to be done. He'll be a first ballot HOF no matter what grudges anyone in the press might have with him.

Nick Saban retiring from Alabama was a bit of a surprise, but I think he's done too. When you're worshipped as a CFB HC no need for the NFL grind.

I have heard that a lot of CFB coaches are absolutely fed up with the NIL and the transfer portal stuff, so maybe some younger CFB coaches try to break into the NFL.

How many job openings were there last year? I can only think of DEN, CAR, IND ,HOU, and ARI (or was ARI the year before?), so it's a few more job openings than last year.
    Pete was very clear that his first choice was to continue coaching, but the team "asked nicely" for him to step down into his new role. He was fired.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

From @NFLGameDay: The Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes are heating up, as he's set to meet with the #Chargers. Meanwhile, Maxx Crosby could request a trade if the #Raiders don't hire Antonio Pierce.

Cowboys are keeping Mike McCarthy. No real surprise here, despite the speculation. Jerry Jones doesn't like firing his head coaches.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

From @NFLGameDay: The Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes are heating up, as he's set to meet with the #Chargers. Meanwhile, Maxx Crosby could request a trade if the #Raiders don't hire Antonio Pierce.
    Wow. Maxx is getting into Aaron Rodgers territory here, wanting approval of the hiring of coaches. I know it wasn't that direct in Rodgers's case, but the Jest basically hired a publicly Rodgers-approved offensive coordinator, and of course, got his home boys signed, too. So about the same thing. That's wild.

As for Harbaugh, he can't be gone from U of M fast enough for my taste. And he most likely will be, no matter what contract U of M comes up with. Harbaugh doesn't want to have to suffer the punishments coming for the crap he pulled, over and over. That's my guess.

Beyond that, this whole "Ooooh oooh oooh I'm the victim and we have to play with a chip on our shoulder because everybody hates us even though we're just innocent bystanders" schtick sickens me.

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Wow. Maxx is getting into Aaron Rodgers territory here, wanting approval of the hiring of coaches. I know it wasn't that direct in Rodgers's case, but the Jest basically hired a publicly Rodgers-approved offensive coordinator, and of course, got his home boys signed, too. So about the same thing. That's wild.

As for Harbaugh, he can't be gone from U of M fast enough for my taste. And he most likely will be, no matter what contract U of M comes up with. Harbaugh doesn't want to have to suffer the punishments coming for the crap he pulled, over and over. That's my guess.

Beyond that, this whole "Ooooh oooh oooh I'm the victim and we have to play with a chip on our shoulder because everybody hates us even though we're just innocent bystanders" schtick sickens me.
    Michigan just won the National Title, and you want Harbaugh gone?

At Tex’s alma mater, they built a statue for a fat coach who couldn’t recruit QBs worth a fuck.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Are you knocking Barry Alvarez? He (actually Pat Richter who hired him) turned around Wisconsin football from decades of rottenness to over three decades now and continuing of a high level. And arguably he has done the same for basketball with the coaches he hired. He damn well should have a statue.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?