Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Black Monday Thread

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Are you knocking Barry Alvarez? He (actually Pat Richter who hired him) turned around Wisconsin football from decades of rottenness to over three decades now and continuing of a high level. And arguably he has done the same for basketball with the coaches he hired. He damn well should have a statue.
    You should thank my father and his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire.

Pat was highly thought of and wanted as the AD at UW. But Pat didn't want the job initially. Donna played him off, saying the job was probably too big for him. I think that challenge made Pat change his mind and accept the job to prove that he could do it.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Richter and Alverez changed the course of UW athletics and the influence is still felt.

I remember the Dan Morton years, they were not good. A Rose Bowl appearance was almost unthinkable back then for UW football fans, Barry got them there a couple of times, and was able to recruit a lot of talent that moved on to the NFL. Just because it wasn't a QB factory doesn't mean they were no good. It's not what it was, but UW still has a very good rep for OL and RB.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Are you knocking Barry Alvarez? He (actually Pat Richter who hired him) turned around Wisconsin football from decades of rottenness to over three decades now and continuing of a high level. And arguably he has done the same for basketball with the coaches he hired. He damn well should have a statue.
    Alvarez is overrated.

How many National Title has he won? Granted, without a fair playoffs system, National Champs is kinda phony. But Wisconsin was never a consistent National Title contender under Alvarez.

Fat Barry’s inability to recruit hotshot QBs played a large role in Wisconsin’s failure to win a National Title. Hell, Alvarez’s legacy is supposedly getting Wisconsin out of football hell, and the program still can’t recruit hotshot QBs.

I guess with all the frogskins from playing in Rose Bowls/Brazzers Dot Com Bowls - not National Title games - Wisconsin affording to commission a statue of Fat Barry ain’t a problem.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    You should thank my father and his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire.

Pat was highly thought of and wanted as the AD at UW. But Pat didn't want the job initially. Donna played him off, saying the job was probably too big for him. I think that challenge made Pat change his mind and accept the job to prove that he could do it.
    Donna Shalala is your father? That does explain some things to be honest.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Cowboys are keeping Mike McCarthy. No real surprise here, despite the speculation. Jerry Jones doesn't like firing his head coaches.
    He's no Steinbrenner.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Donna Shalala is your father? That does explain some things to be honest.
    Try reading the sentence again.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Try reading the sentence again.
    Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."
    Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Alvarez is overrated.

How many National Title has he won? Granted, without a fair playoffs system, National Champs is kinda phony. But Wisconsin was never a consistent National Title contender under Alvarez.

Fat Barry’s inability to recruit hotshot QBs played a large role in Wisconsin’s failure to win a National Title. Hell, Alvarez’s legacy is supposedly getting Wisconsin out of football hell, and the program still can’t recruit hotshot QBs.

I guess with all the frogskins from playing in Rose Bowls/Brazzers Dot Com Bowls - not National Title games - Wisconsin affording to commission a statue of Fat Barry ain’t a problem.
    Tank used to post his bullshit story that Barry Alvarez wouldn't sign him to UW bc Tank had a black girlfriend! A month or so ago, he posted that the Black girls in HS wouldn't talk to him bc he (Tank) wasn't Black. That ain't why they wouldn't chat, it was bc you are a goof.

Tank also claimed on Sportsbubbler that he was a HS phenom who ran a 4.39 40. A guy who recruited Wisconsin for college chimed in that Nobody in that area ran a swift 40 like that. Maybe Tank did do it, he's a Nobody!

Alvarez over-rated.

Today's Shit Take.

Raiders finalizing deal to hire Antonio Pierce as head coach.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Atlanta
    Carolina
    Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
    LA Chargers
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Seattle
    New England Jerod Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Tank used to post his bullshit story that Barry Alvarez wouldn't sign him to UW bc Tank had a black girlfriend! A month or so ago, he posted that the Black girls in HS wouldn't talk to him bc he (Tank) wasn't Black. That ain't why they wouldn't chat, it was bc you are a goof.

Tank also claimed on Sportsbubbler that he was a HS phenom who ran a 4.39 40. A guy who recruited Wisconsin for college chimed in that Nobody in that area ran a swift 40 like that. Maybe Tank did do it, he's a Nobody!
    Maybe in sandals on his school's Pro Day.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Atlanta
    Carolina
    Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
    LA Chargers
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Seattle
    New England Jerod Mayo
    Well, Maxx Crosby might be taking on some GM duties now. Didn't you post that he was going to demand a trade if the team didn't hire Pierce?

Maybe Maxxy can call up his fellow GM Aaron Rodgers, and they could work out a trade or two to get rid of guys on the team they don't like. ("No, man, I know he's an asshole; that's why I don't want him here, either. But I'll take him if you'll give me a sixth-rounder and take that asshole reserve tight end off my hands.")
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.
    Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.
    Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.

-Tim Harmston

Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.
    Funny,.,,as was mine. Which is probably why I identify things like misplaced modifiers so well. I once got an "incorrect" on a question in finance 101 in college where the professor insisted that "as much as" meant the same amount. i.e. Investor A (who ended with $990) has as much as investor B (who ended with $910). I said True. He insisted it was false. So I asked him. So you are claiming that you are NOT as tall as me (he was 6'6"). He eventually gave me credit because I had done the math in the margins and knew exactly what each investor had, but never would agree that the term "as much as" would include someone who had more. i.e. Brad Pitt has as much hair as I do. (he does...and then some to spare).

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero

The #Titans plan to hire #Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan as their head coach, per sources.

Callahan had a second interview today and Tennessee isn’t letting him out of the building.

Atlanta
    Carolina
    Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
    LA Chargers
    Washington
    Tennessee Brian Callahan
    Seattle
    New England Jerod Mayo

Down goes Adrian Griffin. I know, but nobody visits the Bucks forum.

Down goes Adrian Griffin. I know, but nobody visits the Bucks forum.
    LOL Not to get Bucksy on this thread, but I'm not that surprised. I knew he was a bad hire in the first week - their defense was atrocious and general vibe was...not good.

Back to NFL - I heard Belichick has had a couple of interviews with ATL. That would be a weird hire. He must be picking his spots carefully, I'd think a lot of these owners would be courting him.