Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2024 Black Monday Thread

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter

Ben Johnson was not the head-coaching lock that people thought and his asking price spooked some teams, per sources.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Rumor has it that Johnson wanted $15M a year to be a head coach. No wonder teams moved off of him.

Seahawks Mike McDonald
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I actually think the Seahawks are a good job. Ted Thompson put his fingerprint on the scouting staff and they seem to always find good talent. They need a QB, but there are ways.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Seahawks Mike McDonald

MacDonald

Raheem Morris
    Carolina Dave Canales
    Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
    LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
    Washington
    Tennessee Brian Callahan
    Seattle Mike MacDonald
    New England Jerod Mayo

Dan Quinn to Washington

Atlanta Raheem Morris
    Carolina Dave Canales
    Las Vegas Antonio Pierce
    LA Chargers Jim Harbaugh
    Washington Dan Quinn
    Tennessee Brian Callahan
    Seattle Mike MacDonald
    New England Jerod Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Rumor has it that Johnson wanted $15M a year to be a head coach. No wonder teams moved off of him.
    Yikes. That's a lot for a 1st time HC.

Supposedly he came back to Detroit because he wanted to win a ring here - that "unfinished business" stuff. I wonder, myself, if he thinks he's not ready to be a head coach yet, and wants another year. Or wanted a future franchise QB in place wherever he went.

Wow. Eight new head coaches. That's a quarter of the league.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I wonder, myself, if he thinks he's not ready to be a head coach yet, and wants another year. Or wanted a future franchise QB in place wherever he went.
    I think he wanted a big bag of money and control and owners were shy of risking that on a bright guy with no HC experience.
    I also suspect he saw what job openings remained and didn't like them.

Between those two things he can spin it as he wanted a ring -- it would be his best chance at one in the short term, anyway. He still has the OC job, so he had nothing to lose by kicking the tires on HC openings.
    Personally, this is good for DET and bad for the rest of the NFCN. I think he's a really good OC. No idea if he can be a HC though... a lot of guys get over their skis and stink as a HC, or they are good but it's masked by having a garbage roster and impatient owner.

The San Francisco 49ers have fired defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, coach Kyle Shanahan announced Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Shanahan said he expected his coaching staff to stay largely intact but that conversations still had to take place in the coming weeks.

The 49ers hired Wilks before last season when DeMeco Ryans was hired by the Houston Texans as their head coach.

Shanahan told reporters that Wilks "just ended up being not the right fit."
    Didn't see this coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Didn't see this coming.
    A bit surprising, but the defense took a step back from when Saleh and Ryans ran it. Also, he's the obvious fall guy for losing the SB to KC.
    Shanahan and Co. got outcoached and outplayed in the 2nd half of the SB, and Shanny can't fire himself.

Is he a better DC than Barry? Probably. Someone will give him a shot.
    A little weird to do, and bad timing since most of the best DC candidates are probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    A bit surprising, but the defense took a step back from when Saleh and Ryans ran it. Also, he's the obvious fall guy for losing the SB to KC.
    Shanahan and Co. got outcoached and outplayed in the 2nd half of the SB, and Shanny can't fire himself.

Is he a better DC than Barry? Probably. Someone will give him a shot.
    A little weird to do, and bad timing since most of the best DC candidates are probably gone.

Might be a couple of teams who hired DCs over the last few weeks and are now wishing maybe they'd waited a minute or two. It's prettty unusual to see a coordinator fired from a Super Bowl team.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra; 02-14-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Don't know what to make of this one. The SF defense was not as dominating as it has been in the past, but is that the DC or are the players getting long in the tooth, or is it just the changing roster? I don't follow them enough to know.

Tough spot for Wilkes to get a job. Everyone else looking for a DC has found one. He'll probably have to coach a position somewhere for a year. Any openings in Green Bay? Don't even know the dude's background, don't know what position group he'd coach.

Shanny's offense didn't exactly light it up in the second half, either, did it?

He's got a poopy Super Bowl record now, doesn't he?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Don't know what to make of this one. The SF defense was not as dominating as it has been in the past, but is that the DC or are the players getting long in the tooth, or is it just the changing roster? I don't follow them enough to know.

Tough spot for Wilkes to get a job. Everyone else looking for a DC has found one. He'll probably have to coach a position somewhere for a year. Any openings in Green Bay? Don't even know the dude's background, don't know what position group he'd coach.

69ers are paying Wilkes to go away, as coaching contracts are fully guaranteed. Should do what Kingsbury did after he got canned by the Cardinal Sins, and buy a one-way ticket to Thailand.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

That'sa real interesting thought. Aside from his stints as DC and head coach, he has about 12-13 years experience I think exclusively as a defensive backs/secondary coach - for several DI andpor teams. Other than the 4 times he had to defend Rodgers as the Bears' secondary coach, I assume he's done well at those positions, because they all seemed to lead to DC and HC gigs.

This is simply the consequence of being such a good coach you get Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelevant to the Owl.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.