Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Packers At Dallas Wild Card Game Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    They’re penetrators. Aaron Jones is so good at moving forward and avoiding contact at the same time. He’s built to get past that initial backfield penetration and then burst into daylight in the gap the opposing defender was supposed to be in.

Aaron Jones is the key to the game imo.
    Your boy has taken run blocking seriously. Walker has BURIED guys at least a couple times a game the last few weeks. Either someone found his on button or he just figured out leverage. I have come around on him as the LT of the future. He isn't the best OT in football, but has shown some grit. I don't know his ceiling, but where he is now you can win with.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Your boy has taken run blocking seriously. Walker has BURIED guys at least a couple times a game the last few weeks. Either someone found his on button or he just figured out leverage. I have come around on him as the LT of the future. He isn't the best OT in football, but has shown some grit. I don't know his ceiling, but where he is now you can win with.
    For sure, man. I’m not taking much credit for knowing ball or anything. I just listened to scouts opinions and they said he had it all except had a 10 cent head.

He came in the last preseason game of his rookie year and I thought it looked effortless how he shut down the backups. I don’t know technique or OL play, but I can see when a guy stonewalls his opponent and it looks easy.

But I’ll be watching Mike Wahle’s YouTube OL teaching tape and I watch JT Osullivans stuff on QB play and scheme. Hopefully I can find a guy who teaches back 7 defense and a guy who teaches DL play. Maybe in a couple years I will know ball!

My son is close to graduating from GB. He’s going to be a teacher and a coach. We’re kind of learning the game together. We played all the time when he was a kid. He’s just tall and thin so didn’t really have a career. But he was savvy as fuck when he was a kid. He could move the ball at will against those kids lol!!! He knew when the throw it, when to pump fake, when to run. When he played rugby he was more of a heady player than physical. So coaching is a good fit.

But anyway, I just filed a restraining order on my ex gf for telling the cops I kicked her. They brought me to jail and booked me for battery and then the DA tossed it out because she spent 30 minutes trying to get the stuff I had and then just said, he kicked me, and they have to take me to jail in that case. But anyway, I have a lot of time on my hands. My two older boys are full grown and succeeeding big time and my little guy (9yr) I have on weekends. I only work two days a week so I’ve got some damn time to learn football right now and there’s never been a better time to get amazing content. So many ex players are getting into teaching the game and making money doing it on YouTube and patreon and the like.

So in a couple years we’ll have APB as our team historian and me as the lead football guy of packerrats
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Mike Spofford
    @mikespofford

Media only at practice for team stretch today, but FWIW, WRs Romeo Doubs & Christian Watson, RB AJ Dillon, & LB Isaiah McDuffie were all out there for #Packers.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Only Dillon did not practice.

Hankins is their primary run stopper. They lost a game they probably shouldn't have when he was out.

I'm thinking it's all hands on deck for the Packers, even Watson.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Hankins is their primary run stopper. They lost a game they probably shouldn't have when he was out.

I'm thinking it's all hands on deck for the Packers, even Watson.
    You mean “all hamstrings on deck,” with this team.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

And the odds are he's only going to get better. So if that is the case, Guter's draft in 2022 will have produced two good starting tackles. That's impressive.

Guter appears to be getting better at drafting as he goes on. Appears.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Read a tweet that all 53 had helmets on for the walk through. FWIW
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

NFL.com had him as a third round pick, comp being Dion Dawkins from Buffalo. His biggest flaw was footwork/balance.

"Overview
    Walker possesses enticing power and measurables but has issues that could be challenging to correct if he stays at tackle. Ohio State defenders were able to burn up his outside edge, which creates concern about his pass pro range, but it can be hard to beat his anchor with pure power. He has issues playing beyond his base, creating chronic over-extension that will be exploited by skilled NFL rush talent. He's capable as a run blocker and should keep getting better with more hand work. Walker projects as a right tackle on the next level but might move inside to guard if his range and balance in pass sets aren't up to par.

Strengths

• Displayed ability for quick and vertical sets.
    • Stout core withstands a bull rush.
    • Fires hands through defender's pads.
    • Extends and presses rusher past the arc.
    • Controlled inside power step for firmer post.
    • Better hand placement will bolster drive blocking.
    • Power to shove and clear debris from the lane.
    • Able to hold his ground in base blocks versus power.
    • Adequate adjustments in space.

Weaknesses

• Might not have enough range to play left tackle.
    • Base can get too wide in pass sets.
    • Weight sits on his outside foot in pass slides.
    • Reaches and leans rather than maintaining flat-back posture.
    • Opens door wide for a variety of inside counters.
    • Lacks twitch fitting into run block.
    • Hands need to be faster and more accurate.
    • Needs to improve positioning after contact.

"

PFF ranking for 2023 for tackles has Walker graded at #18. For a 2nd year 7th round draft pick, pretty damn good.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/t

Last edited by Sparkey; 01-11-2024 at 09:38 AM.

Tackles are tough because you don't just want a solid one, you want a great one. Solid ones get you beat in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Only Dillon did not practice.

Not wishing any negatives, but are we better when MiLF doesn't have any option other than give Jones 20 carries??

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    And the odds are he's only going to get better. So if that is the case, Guter's draft in 2022 will have produced two good starting tackles. That's impressive.

Guter appears to be getting better at drafting as he goes on. Appears.
    2 starting Tackles without spending a single pick in the first 3 rounds. More impressive.

JH talks about the scouts on Walker. I recall reading that one guy had him as a 2nd rounder without the shoulder injury. He has everything you need. Just like Yosh, focus was his issue (which I think is why the team pitted them both in a rotation to keep them feeling pressured to focus every play).

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Tackles are tough because you don't just want a solid one, you want a great one. Solid ones get you beat in January.
    Not totally disagreeing. An elite LT is a game changer for sure, but coaching to strengths also is a game changer. Walker is rapidly becoming an elite run blocker for a LT. You use that to slow down the pass rush and mix in some play action. You also use it next to Jenkins to create a bunch of 3rd and 2 so the D can't pin back the ears.

Ideally you want a great everything, but that isn't possible. So you try not to have fatal flaws anywhere. C/RG might be our fatal flaw. Or they might hold up just enough. As I said, you can win with where Walker is right now. Would I like to see him stonewall the edge rush instead of riding it wide enough to give Love room to step up....sure, but lets be honest. Only 5-6 guys in the game do everything at a top level. We were blessed with one of them for awhile. Walker right now today is just as good of a run blocker as Bak was (who was under rated in that regard). He is a middle of the pack pass blocker. You can win with that if the coaching doesn't fuck it up (i.e. leave him solo against Parsons every 3rd and 7).

I think Walker has really improved. Still think his focus and mean streak aren't there, but you can definitely start him. I'd say if Tom continues to trend towards elite and Walker ends up as just solid, you can do well with that. You don't need 2 elite OT in the playoffs.
    The Bengals (vs. LAR) and Chiefs (vs TB) made SBs with iffy OLs, but it's not a winning strategy. GBs OL is playing better than iffy.

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

Alexander was listed on the injury report Wednesday as a limited participant because of shoulder/ankle.

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

CB Jaire Alexander not practicing today. We’ll figure d out later why. Elgton Jenkins getting his rest day. AJ Dillon back at #Packers practice in pads.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

Alexander was listed on the injury report Wednesday as a limited participant because of shoulder/ankle.

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

CB Jaire Alexander not practicing today. We’ll figure d out later why. Elgton Jenkins getting his rest day. AJ Dillon back at #Packers practice in pads.
    J-Alex has got an ankle. Got it fucked during a damn jog through.

SMH. This Packer team is softer than a gay guy in a brothel full of women; more fragile than a motherless polar bear cub; every bit as injury-prone as an overworked, 41 year old burger flipper.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Dallas has

LT-elite
    LG- good
    C-good
    RG-good
    RT-Poor

It’s nice that our best pass rusher is over their weak link, but it’s nice for them that they can give one guy help and let the rest of their really good line handle the rest. A lot of plays they’re going to block up really well and it’s to their advantage.

But if you’re Joe Barry, you have a bit of an advantage too. You kind of know what their protection schemes are going to look like with the obvious help going to Gary’s side. If you don’t over play your hand, you can pick a couple key spots to dial up a perfect stunt game or pressure call because you know what you’re going to be looking at on the left side.

If we win, I could see a situation where Dallas has a lot of success on offense, but had a couple key, key horrible plays that change the game in our favor.

Once in a while Gary will see a single too, and he could make a splash. I don’t think he’ll see many though, not on true pass plays that need to develop.

In Barry we trust! Go Pack Go!

So far this week the highs in GB were around 30, and Dallas had highs in the 60s. On Sunday, they are predicting a high around 30 in Dallas. So if anything the weather favors the Packers.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

About Alexander's injury, as we used to say in college - that blows donkey dick.

Pitting him one-on-one against Lamb seemed to me one of the defense's advantages. Not that anyone can shut down Lamb completely, but it does take some pressure off the defense to have Alexander matched up against the other team's best receiver. If he can't go or is hobbled, that's tough.

As my mom sometimes says, shitsky. Not to be confused with Bretsky.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    So far this week the highs in GB were around 30, and Dallas had highs in the 60s. On Sunday, they are predicting a high around 30 in Dallas. So if anything the weather favors the Packers.
    30 is beautiful football weather. I’m 42 years old and if I’m moving around, football gear is more than warm enough for me. I’d be warm.

I don’t think it favors anyone, but it’s not a disadvantage so that’s good.