Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Matching Up With the Niners

Matching Up With the Niners

I guess you gotta put Jaire manned up on Aiyuk or Deebo. You probably double the other. How do you handle Kittle then? They're a very tough match-up offensively but so was Dallas.

How you guarding them?

Nobody wants to hear this, but they can attack the whole field. The best you can do is either hope for a penalty or mental error on their part or bend and then hold in the red zone when there’s less field to cover.

But nobody likes bend but don’t break. The theory is you get aggressive and you shut down the best teams. The reality is, you get aggressive and then you lose the game before it even starts.

It’s a lot easier to stop a team when the end zone shortens the area to cover. So bend but don’t break. That’s how you cover them.

Quite literally, Joe Barry is a good defensive coordinator. He’s doing it right.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Dallas doesn’t have CMC. That is the difference. Purdy is also a much better QB than Dak in pressure situations.

The Packers defense is what we thought they are, and Shanny Jr and the 69ers won’t let them off the hook. I’ll give credit to Barry actually stepping up and doing some coaching work in recent weeks. He’s bringing new looks and actually earning a paycheck for a change. While I will earnestly hope for the Packers defense to bring the pain next week, I fear another mediocre pass rush day that leads to a lot of points for the opponent.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I think most here would be okay with a “bend but don’t break” approach against this team, but the problem is that Joe Barely is most likely to deliver a “bend over and wait” defense instead.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Dallas doesn’t have CMC. That is the difference. Purdy is also a much better QB than Dak in pressure situations.
    Yeah. DAL also has McCarthy, while SF has Shanahan.
    SF has a better defense and more weapons than DAL does. They're the 1 seed (and possibly the best team in the NFL this year) for a reason.

I think both offenses are very good, but their defense is much better, and that's the difference in the game. Assuming he can play, I'm not sure you want to match Jaire with Deebo. Deebo is pretty physical and Jaire is really banged up. Maybe Aiyuk instead? Then again, they will probably just play sides and cover who lines up in their area.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fuck partial and his white towel throwing ass.

Pack vs 49ers in playoffs
    Rodgers - 0-4

All others - 4-1

Love isn’t depressed SF didn’t draft him so he don’t give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Fuck partial and his white towel throwing ass.

Pack vs 49ers in playoffs
    Rodgers - 0-4

All others - 4-1

Love isn’t depressed SF didn’t draft him so he don’t give a shit.
    And that one loss was bullshit, because Rice fucking fumbled.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Who knows what the hell will happen, but it will be highly interesting to see how this team's attitude is out there on the field Saturday. Man, SF sure gave Green Bay some beatdowns in their home stadium in the playoffs not too long ago. Some beatdowns. The same dazed looks the Cowboys had this past weekend were pasted all over the Packer players' faces in those games. Like they were never even in it.

So we'll see if they come ready to rumble, at least. Just as long as they don't play like they're getting run over by a Mack truck, I'll be okay with it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

https://x.com/andyhermannfl/status/1...Oxzq2_jOx_kBGw

Not a lot of linebackers can match Kittles intensity, but if you check this out, I think we can agree one of them plays for the good guys.

All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Who knows what the hell will happen, but it will be highly interesting to see how this team's attitude is out there on the field Saturday. Man, SF sure gave Green Bay some beatdowns in their home stadium in the playoffs not too long ago. Some beatdowns. The same dazed looks the Cowboys had this past weekend were pasted all over the Packer players' faces in those games. Like they were never even in it.

So we'll see if they come ready to rumble, at least. Just as long as they don't play like they're getting run over by a Mack truck, I'll be okay with it.
    IMO, #12 ate up all the oxygen in the room, in some ways, the team was more his than MLF's. That's now changed and through a process of addition by subtraction, the whole is now greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm confident the O will be able to trade blows with SF, Barry's D is the real wild card for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Thanks for digging that up. I was watching the edge players most of that game and didn't watch him much. I have a much better appreciation for him, now.

I like the pick during the draft as we've lacked that nasty tone-setter in the middle of the D, we now have that guy who has the physical skills to match. Next year forward he's going to be a monster.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I have no idea how the Packers can win this game. I wish it was a Sunday Game and not wreck a Saturday.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Remember when the 15-1 packers lost to the giants in divisional round… it can happen.

Get after Purdy and make him turn it over - in the games they lost - that was the key.

Treat it w/ the same plan as Lions2 and Cowboys - run and play action to spread the ball. Hope you get a few lucky breaks and get inside their heads.

Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Juice Check and CMC are kind of their clear and obvious best 5. It’s a versatile group that relies a lot on tying the run game to the pass game and keeping defenses off balance with that unpredictability.

Purdy kind of has it made with the situation he’s in. He can throw check downs, screens and every other variety of high percentage, rhythm building passing plays. And the guys he’s throwing to can all turn those into nice chunks. He also has a very good run game to lean on. The left side of their OL is big and dominant moving guys off the ball. And the right side is athletic and can pull. They love to run left behind those big guys and pull an extra big guy to further that advantage. They play with a full back and tight end who can block and catch, so again, that’s an advantage for the run game.

They have good pass catchers and a QB who can distribute so they’ll kill you quick if you try to leave your guys on islands.

It’s a bad matchup for our defense and every defense.

We can come out “aggressive” and leave guys on islands to put our energy toward stopping the run and maybe getting quick pressure on the QB. But if you do a lot of that, you’re pretty much relegating yourself to giving up a ton of points and almost guaranteeing you lose the game before the first half is even over.

You have to pick your spots.

SF likes to get cute and can sometimes step on their own toes. I think you want to come out with a general identity of bend but don’t break and hope they make one of their regular cutesy mistakes. I don’t think you can rely entirely on a bend but don’t break philosophy though because SF has a really strong run game and really good red zone targets. Frankly, you’re probably going to break, but at least it’s not going to be instantly and maybe you’ll get lucky and stop them a time or two in the redzone, where the advantage goes to the defense.

But off of that bend but don’t break, I think you want take a few chances. Not often enough that the 49ers are calling plays to beat the helpless coverages you’re putting out there, but often enough that you’re not completely relying on them making a mistake.

Assuming you don’t do what fans always want and surrender before you even begin… assuming you give yourself a chance with a bend but don’t break game plan.

Assuming Joe Barry comes out like the quality DC he is and gives our guys a chance. Shannahan is cocky and he’ll shoot himself in the toes. Purdy does make mistakes and he could shoot himself in the toes as well. You can get a couple stops in the redzone, maybe a turn over, and your offense has a great night.

We can win. But we’re underdogs. Regardless, LFG with some Barry ball and win this thing like we have so many times the last few years!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    yes, yes he did. Incredible that wasn't ruled a fumble.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    You betchum he lost that ball from here to there.

Thx for reminding me.

I'm working up my Niner hate.

1. Wring that tiny Purdy's neck. He's a little shit and gets rattled when tagged.

^ The Ravens showed the way, they beat him up a little and the yips set in.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Juice Check and CMC are kind of their clear and obvious best 5. It’s a versatile group that relies a lot on tying the run game to the pass game and keeping defenses off balance with that unpredictability.

Purdy kind of has it made with the situation he’s in. He can throw check downs, screens and every other variety of high percentage, rhythm building passing plays. And the guys he’s throwing to can all turn those into nice chunks. He also has a very good run game to lean on. The left side of their OL is big and dominant moving guys off the ball. And the right side is athletic and can pull. They love to run left behind those big guys and pull an extra big guy to further that advantage. They play with a full back and tight end who can block and catch, so again, that’s an advantage for the run game.

They have good pass catchers and a QB who can distribute so they’ll kill you quick if you try to leave your guys on islands.

It’s a bad matchup for our defense and every defense.

We can come out “aggressive” and leave guys on islands to put our energy toward stopping the run and maybe getting quick pressure on the QB. But if you do a lot of that, you’re pretty much relegating yourself to giving up a ton of points and almost guaranteeing you lose the game before the first half is even over.

You have to pick your spots.

SF likes to get cute and can sometimes step on their own toes. I think you want to come out with a general identity of bend but don’t break and hope they make one of their regular cutesy mistakes. I don’t think you can rely entirely on a bend but don’t break philosophy though because SF has a really strong run game and really good red zone targets. Frankly, you’re probably going to break, but at least it’s not going to be instantly and maybe you’ll get lucky and stop them a time or two in the redzone, where the advantage goes to the defense.

But off of that bend but don’t break, I think you want take a few chances. Not often enough that the 49ers are calling plays to beat the helpless coverages you’re putting out there, but often enough that you’re not completely relying on them making a mistake.

Assuming you don’t do what fans always want and surrender before you even begin… assuming you give yourself a chance with a bend but don’t break game plan.

Assuming Joe Barry comes out like the quality DC he is and gives our guys a chance. Shannahan is cocky and he’ll shoot himself in the toes. Purdy does make mistakes and he could shoot himself in the toes as well. You can get a couple stops in the redzone, maybe a turn over, and your offense has a great night.

We can win. But we’re underdogs. Regardless, LFG with some Barry ball and win this thing like we have so many times the last few years!
    “Assuming Joe Barry comes out like the quality DC he is” - you do realize that line undoes anything else you wrote up there. You could be proposing Eintein’s theory of relativity for the first time, and if you throw THAT line into it, you unravel everything else you’ve done.

“The quality DC he is”??!? This is his third stop as a DC. That’s like saying a $50 meth-addicted hoe who’s been in the biz for ten years is a high quality hooker.

It just ain’t so, Justin. But I think you like being the contrarian. However, when you’re doing it JUST to be contrarian, and it’s clear that is all you’re doing, then it’s just stupid.

KYPack

Fritz, I’m being a bit of a contrarian with the hyperbole, maybe ever so slightly inching toward troll status. But truly, during the stretch the DEFENSE was struggling we were missing Jaire, Savage and Campbell was banged up. We had:

7th round rookie corner
    Undrafted rookie corner
    Special teams player nickle (who’s not horrible, but barely average)
    Special teams player safety in Ford who is atrocious
    And
    Owens who’s maybe average and only because he can tackle.

The entire back end was a sieve based on TALENT.

So while I am exaggerating Barry’s greatness, it’s not coming from a place of being a contrarian. It’s coming from the place of being annoyed by the lazy takes about the coach that don’t bother to consider what he’s working with. You guys deserve it for being so silly.