Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Matching Up With the Niners

What’s interesting about Joe Barry’s stint in Detroit is that in 2006 the lions were 30th in points against. Then 32nd in 2007 and 2008 with Joe Barry. And then 32nd again the year after he left.

It’s almost like the talent was the constant in those lions teams considering 3 defensive coordinators all finished as one of the worst 3 teams in a span of 4 years. And let’s not forget that Rod Marinelli was the head coach and the leader of the defense. He was a highly successful DC in his time in the league so maybe talent does play a role?
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

About the only thing that might save us is the 49ers only have an average pass-blocking line. Other than their LT, they are pretty meh. Sadly, Gary has gone MIA and we just lost Engabare. We might not be in a position for the edge guys to exploit it, but maybe Clark, Wyatt, and Brooks can do some work...

Getting the early lead might be pretty imporant to slow down their run game.

The other interesting thing about Joe Barry’s time as a defensive coordinator is that the year before he got to Washington they were 28th in points against. Then 17th and 19th with Barry and then back to 28th after he left.

Let’s say for shits and giggles that talent is part of the performance of a defense. With similar talent, Joe Barry was significantly better during his years than the DC before and after him.

How does that work?

I’m really not being a contrarian, I just can’t get over how much this Joe Barry hate has steam rolled. And I was already being critical of it before Jaire and Savage came back, so seeing the secondary play so much better with the weak links out just emboldened me more to harp on how silly you guys sound.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Joe Barry can go yesterday IMO. I think his game plans overall are sub par and predictable, and he doesn't adjust well.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Owens has been better in coverage than he gets credit for. Rudy Ford did a damn good job as a Safety. Keisan Nixon had a few bad moments, but he also had some excellent ones - way more good than bad IMO. V and B -allentine both were above average cover Corners in comparison to the league in general, and in zone, arguably they played better than Jaire.

The jury is still out on Joe Barry IMO. His D has had a string of good games, and especially in the last one, it was scheme/changing things up in an effective way that did it. Hopefully that string continues this week. I and most people thought pressure was the key against Dak and the Cowboys. Joe knew better. I'm thinking again that we need a healthy dose of pressure on Purdy along with some switching to the umbrella coverage we saw against the Cowboys. We'll see what Joe thinks about that and if it works.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The other interesting thing about Joe Barry’s time as a defensive coordinator is that the year before he got to Washington they were 28th in points against. Then 17th and 19th with Barry and then back to 28th after he left.

Let’s say for shits and giggles that talent is part of the performance of a defense. With similar talent, Joe Barry was significantly better during his years than the DC before and after him.

How does that work?
    It can work a number of ways: the teams you face, injuries, roster construction, luck, etc. Being ranked 17th is still bottom half, although barely. GB's defenses have often been ok to good in points against, but at leasst some of that is masked by the pace of their offense. Rodgers milked the clock all the way down to 0 constantly, and they have had a very slow pace offense (comparing # of plays and TOP) under MLF. If your offense is on the field, your defense isn't giving up points.

LaFleur was smart to take the ball rather than defer, as Barry's D generally is better at the beginning of a game than it is after the opponent adjusts and he tends to not be good at countering the adjustment. Jump on them early, get a stop, then jump on them again, and maybe you limit the things they can do.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree, the decision to take the ball may have been the game winner. Packers came right out and punched the cowboys in the mouth. Put them in a daze that wouldn’t wear off. The equivalent of walking up to a group of motherfuckers and knocking out the baddest one. The rest of the crew immediately doubts how tough they really are. I’m still kinda blown away how dominating it was.

Should they do the same thing Saturday if presented?

I'd say yes because of Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I agree, the decision to take the ball may have been the game winner. Packers came right out and punched the cowboys in the mouth. Put them in a daze that wouldn’t wear off. The equivalent of walking up to a group of motherfuckers and knocking out the baddest one. The rest of the crew immediately doubts how tough they really are. I’m still kinda blown away how dominating it was.

Fuck yes.

We are gonna' take this ball and fucking score and there is nothing you can do about it.

Based on EPA, Packers and 49ers basically the same since week 12.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Based on EPA, Packers and 49ers basically the same since week 12.

Help a fellow Rat out - what is EPA?

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Help a fellow Rat out - what is EPA?
    Expected Points Added (EPA) is a commonly used advanced statistic in football. In short, this stat measures how well a team performs compared to their expectation on a play-by-play basis. EPA and EPA per Play, along with other stats using EPA, can help us evaluate team and player performance.
    In this table, the further to the right you are, the better your offense. The closer to the top you are, the better the defense.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    In this table, the further to the right you are, the better your offense. The closer to the top you are, the better the defense.
    So the goal is to flat line along either the x or y axis or more preferably shoot a 45 degree?

Nah. If the Packers win the toss, they should take the ball, then come out and punch the Niners in the nutsack.

Weirdly, Tex makes a rational point about Barry's defenses and posts what seems to me to be a thoughtful post.

I wonder if he's passed out and his wife is now posting as "Tex." Ya never know.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Thought Tex is the only one here who doesn’t consume alcohol.

But he could be passed out after playing tennis and getting laid.

It's been in the 20s here all day, so no tennis, but 1 outta 2 ain't bad. I'm the only one who doesn't drink? I guess that explains some things hahahahaha.

Of course, I'm right. Of course LaFleur know more than any of us, in a football context anyway. And just maybe Joe Barry does too.

Blog Entries
    Thought Tex is the only one here who doesn’t consume alcohol.

But he could be passed out after playing tennis and getting laid.
    You going to the ball game, man?

Blog Entries
    No senor. I will be watching on the rec room tv with the homeboys. Unless some shit kicks off and we go on lockdown before Saturday. Then I will have to watch on the tv reflection off the CO’s pod glass. I’m hoping Smiley gets house arrest release on Thursday because I’m next in line for a door window that looks right at the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    So the goal is to flat line along either the x or y axis or more preferably shoot a 45 degree?
    Top right diagonal stripe contains the best overall teams and then teams get progressively worse as you approach the bottom left stripe. GB/SF are effectively neutral in this comparison.