Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers at 49ers Divisional Round Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Hopefully the weather forecast is wrong. Because if it isn't now we have to look at run games.
    I'm pretty dialed in to CA weather; the models are increasingly in agreement about the upcoming weekend and it being wet, the main event may be Sunday, but we will see. There is some suggestion of a 'mini' Atmospheric River.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Really?? The 49ers crushed the Cowgirls 42-10. Sure seems like that would point to SF being the better team but maybe I am wrong.
    I watched that game. It was the Stone Valley Prison Murderer's Row vs. the Sweet Sister's of Delicate Mercy.

Like yesterday, it was a Beat Down, but without Joe Barry's prevent (victory) defense. The Niners know how to keep their boot on an opponent's neck

Niners >>>>> Dallas.

Funny moment at the end of the game: camera is on McCarthy as he walks up to Prescott, McCarthy gives him that shrug with his head cocked and the corner of his mouth lifted like you see in the memes; kind of "WTF you gonna' do? We got handled." I actually appreciate McCarthy and his loyalty to his guys.

Brock Purdy 9.25” hands
    Jordan Love 10.5” massive GB QB standard paws

As Favre proved, ogre hands are bad as props for persuasive dick pics, but they’re good for rain days and cold days.

The only thing better than the coolish (55*) wet conditions is if the wind upticks from 10-15 to 15-20. I don’t think Purdys small hands or his average nfl arm strength are going to lend to any sort of advantage in these types of conditions.

Further, AJ Dillon is a gold star certified mudder. His lack of agility is such a problem, he’s not even an average running back on most days. But when sloppy conditions even the agility playing field, everyone else comes down to his level and now his other qualities aren’t buried by his horrendous glaring weakness.

Not only can we win, we can win while giving jones a rest week and be ready to finish off the NFC and head to the Super Bowl.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Sometimes all this “size of their hands” talk makes me wonder if this is code….

I don’t know who has an advantage in the mud, but damn it’ll be fun to watch a game with muddy jerseys and facemasks with sod stuck in them. That’s football. Fuck them domes.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I don’t know shit about x’s and o’s.

There’s been a bit of conversation on the forum relating to “who is the number one receiver?”

A couple, three weeks ago Tucker Kraft was knocking on the HOF door.

Then Wicks.

Then Reed.

Now Doubs.

Sheesh.

MLF has figured it out. He doesn’t scheme any particular plan. He waits to see what the other defense is planning and adjusts.

Receivers don’t care. Jordon don’t care.

Offense in control.

^ If current results are a harbinger of things to come, I'm all for a system that exploits different match-ups/skillsets depending on the opponent.

To me, the big question is how the Packers come out of the tunnel. As I posted on another thread, the last couple games out there in the playoffs, the Packers looked confused and whipped from the opening whistle.

So it'll be interesting to see if they come out with a little fire.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If my memory serves me correctly about recent history , we have usually gone into the playoffs believing the defense would let us down, but it was the special teams and offense that laid an egg.

Maybe our offense can keep us in the game this time.

Really?? The 49ers crushed the Cowgirls 42-10. Sure seems like that would point to SF being the better team but maybe I am wrong.
    Pretty sure we just crushed Dallas at their own place a couple days ago. Burrow was 28/32 for 283 and 3 TDs against SF. No reason 10VE can't do the same.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly about recent history , we have usually gone into the playoffs believing the defense would let us down, but it was the special teams and offense that laid an egg.

Maybe our offense can keep us in the game this time.
    Exactly. Rodgers would do like Dak did Sunday and let the pressure get to him. It was always the same situation except SF being the team with nothing to lose. That Packers had a constant desperation feel the last few years in the playoff. That’s what has made this season so fun. The youngsters just don’t give a damn because there is still a tomorrow for them.

When the Packers played at SF in NFCCG 2019-20, Packers 6 possessions in 1st half went like this:

5 plays-25 yards-punt
    5 plays-4 yards-punt
    3 plays-minus 11 yards-punt
    6 plays-50 yards-fumble
    3 plays-14 yards-INT
    3 plays-1 yard-punt

Defense tried to hang in there for a while, it was 7-0 after 1st quarter. But it was 27-0 at halftime.

Offense needs to execute early, as they have been lately, to give the defense a chance.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

The best defense is a good offense and it has never been more true than in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    The best defense is a good offense and it has never been more true than in today's NFL.
    I think GB's O can go blow for blow with SF. Those six minute, grinding drives will keep our D's legs fresh.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    Pretty sure we just crushed Dallas at their own place a couple days ago. Burrow was 28/32 for 283 and 3 TDs against SF. No reason 10VE can't do the same.
    I was responding to Tex's opinion that the Cowboys are better than the 49ers.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Yeah I agree.
    SF is the higher seed for a reason -- they're the better team and I don't think it's close.

DAL is better at K and maybe QB because Dak is talented, and probably even at OL and secondary.
    SF is better at DL (Bosa + Chase > Micah + Demarcus), LB, WR, TE, RB, and even at FB.

Shanny has his brain farts, especially in the playoffs, but McCarthy ain't exactly known for game management either.

In a matchup on a neutral field, I'd bet SF wins 4 out of 5 times.

Uh no hahahahaha.

The Niners have quality at RB and TE, but if the Cowboys are behind at all, it's not much. Pollard is very similar to Aaron Jones, very very good, and Ferguson, as we saw, is excellent, probably as good or better receiver than Kittle although maybe not as good a blocker. And even though we didn't see much of it, Parsons and Lawrence are at least as good as Bosa and Young plus the Cowboy run stoppers are better. At WR, the Cowboys are clearly better.

I say again, the Cowboys are a better team than the Niners - even though they inexplicably floundered badly against them.

This should be an easier game for the Packers than last week.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I started watching the last 5 games of the 9ers. Not gonna watch week 18 where they rested.

So far… you cant blitz Purdy. I haven’t seen it work in two full games. Their OL isn’t great, they don’t sustain blocks well, but they’re smart. Between them and the FB, RB, TE, they always pick up the blitz and Purdy gets it out quick every time. Those receivers have been there a while. And all their pass pro guys. They’re just a well oiled machine at picking up the blitz. Purdy is pretty careful with the ball. He just loves it when his big athletic receivers are one on one and he can put it on them quick.

The left side of their line are dominant run blockers. They run a lot to that side and it’s almost always 4-12 yards. Trent Williams never misses a block. They have a road grader RG. And Kittle, Juice and all the receivers block. That run left is just an unstoppable force.

With all of the running left, they like to mix in deebo on a jet sweep coming off run action to the left and it’s been money so far in two games.

I didn’t see any wow plays from Purdy, but I didn’t see many from Brady either. Purdy will throw it away or take a sack and live to fight another down. And that’s frustrating. He’s very accurate from the pocket. He’s not great on the move and not a threat to run. He goes down fairly easy.

They have a really good offense. They have experienced, smart players. They seem to handle situational ball best with all of their experience. Blitz pickup, 3rd down, redzone…. They’re a well oiled machine.

A few years back I watched every 9ers game and almost every other game too. Especially early in the year Shannahan was trying to win cutest coordinator award. They kind of tapered that back toward the end of the season and this year is no different. I don’t see him batting his eyes and trying to be cute. But like Favre and Rodgers, Shannahan has his quirks. He’s holding it in for a minute but with two weeks off, on a big stage, I don’t know if he’s going to be able to get out of his own way.

I think you have to take some chances. For me, looking at where they’ve had their struggles, I think I would, for the most part, have my defensive front play the run first and be real disciplined with it. They’re gonna get yards anyway, they’re that good. But you want to lull Shanny into the drop back pass game. And when you take your shots, it’s not with the blitz, I think you want to have the DL scatter in some aggressive, undisciplined rushes and play coverage behind. Their OL doesn’t hold up for long, so I think you can beat them on first and second down by splashing in a few play where you pin your ears back and hope it’s a pass.

That’s about all I see so far for how to exploit them. And I have a feeling Shanny will gift us a couple too.

I don’t know if relying on bend but don’t break is going to work because they’re really good in the redzone. Like I said, I think the way to beat them is to guess pass on a few plays and have your rush get wild without worrying about the run. You get them in 3rd and long and you have a chance. That’s the game plan I’d draw up….. I would rarely if ever blitz. And I’d always play coverage first. They can kill you quick. Purdy will put it on his guys. And they’re great at YAC.

I haven’t checked the stats on what coverages Barry hangs his hat on. Just for the sake of being able to get this point across, let’s say the boys are best in cover 3. On first and second down you align in cover 3 and and the expectation from the offenses perspective is that the line, linebackers and safeties are going to have their eyes on both the run game and the pass game. Your rush would be disciplined, you’d see guys biting a little bit on run action in the back. It’s kind of a core early down concept that handles everything.

If I’m Barry, I have a call in the playbook that’s our go to early down call, but instead of playing it with any discipline toward the run, I’d have it 100% geared toward the pass. Nobody bites on run action. None of your DL worry about run discipline. You’re just taking a guess. Worst case they gash you for 20, but they’re gonna do that anyway over the course of 3 plays and the whole point here is that you’re taking a shot to really get them behind the sticks and give yourself a premium look in 3rd down. I think this is the best way to exploit their weaknesses and it can’t be all of the time. Just guess a couple times and hope you guessed right.

Their defense is pretty good, but not dominant. I think their offense is better. Get the ball first, rack 7 on the board. Play disciplined for 5 plays on defense then shoot your shot on (all pass) call and hope you guessed right. Force a punt, stack 7 more on the board and have SF play uphill. That’s my strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    When the Packers played at SF in NFCCG 2019-20, Packers 6 possessions in 1st half went like this:

5 plays-25 yards-punt
    5 plays-4 yards-punt
    3 plays-minus 11 yards-punt
    6 plays-50 yards-fumble
    3 plays-14 yards-INT
    3 plays-1 yard-punt

Defense tried to hang in there for a while, it was 7-0 after 1st quarter. But it was 27-0 at halftime.

Offense needs to execute early, as they have been lately, to give the defense a chance.
    That reads like the possession lines from some of the early games this year.

Also I absolutely agree with Mad’s comment above. Packers played those SF games with their sphincters locked so tight you couldn’t get an amoeba through. All clenched teeth and desperation, alternating with bewilderment and eye rolls.

This Packer team shows none of that. All loosey-goosey.

Doesn’t mean they’ll win, but it does mean it should be more fun for them to play - and for us to watch.

House money, baby!

KYPack