Thread: Packerrats playbook

Packerrats playbook

It’s easier to say 1 2 or 3 than to say “the wide guy in the bunch” “the middle guy in the bunch” or the “slot guy in the bunch”

So like all coaches and players seem to do, can we start naming them 1, 2, 3 from outside working in. We’re getting into an age where we talk actual football and it’s really hard to know what people know when I’m throwing stuff out there.

If anyone else has some clear and obvious jive we should be using, add on. This way we can discuss things without over explaining. There are few enough of us here that being on the same page shouldn’t be that hard.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Fair enough. If you say "the #3 receiver on the right side", I would know what you mean. (i.e., you count from outside in, so 3 would be the innermost)
    That kind of info is widely available on teh Googles.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    It’s easier to say 1 2 or 3 than to say “the wide guy in the bunch” “the middle guy in the bunch” or the “slot guy in the bunch”

So like all coaches and players seem to do, can we start naming them 1, 2, 3 from outside working in. We’re getting into an age where we talk actual football and it’s really hard to know what people know when I’m throwing stuff out there.

If anyone else has some clear and obvious jive we should be using, add on. This way we can discuss things without over explaining. There are few enough of us here that being on the same page shouldn’t be that hard.
    You and Tank need to hook up.

3 AND 1
    2 AND 2 TIGHT
    2 AND 2 WIDE
    3 AND 1 WIDE IN MOTION TO 2 AND 2
    2 AND 2 TIGHT TO JUMBO RIGHT OR LEFT

As long as the talk is from the QB's perspective, everyone should be able to follow.

As far as the reads, that is harder to know as we don't know where the progressions start until after the play is run..

For example, they could be in a 2 and 2 wide, and depending on what the defense is in, they could motion to 3 and 1. When that happens, if the lb/s follows, the #1 read and progressions could switch sides......

I’ll make a glossary at the end of the thread when someone adds something. Anyone who disagrees or thinks we need an edit, show me where i made a mistake and I’ll come by to fix.

There are only a few of us here, so it’s easy enough to use a common football language so we can talk about what happened and not have to use so many damn words to try to describe something.

Glossary of terms

When talking about a play, we say:
    -“Playside” when referencing things that happened on the side of the field the play was executed
    -“Backside” when talking about the opposite of playside.

Receivers are labeled 1, 2, 3 starting from the outside (sideline) going inward toward the QB.
    -If three eligible are lined up on the right (and the play went right) it’s 1, 2, or 3 receiver “playside”
    -If two eligible are on the left side (and the play went right) it’s 1 or 2 receiver “backside”

When talking about formations we say:
    -1 by 3 if there are 4 eligible on the line and there is 1 on the left and 3 on the right.
    -The first number is the left side and the second is the right side.
    -Example: 2 by 2 would be two eligibles on the line to the left and 2 to the right.
    -If a player on the right motions from a 2 by 2 formation, we would say motioned from a “2 by 2” to a “3 by 1” since one player moved from right to the left.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 01-17-2024 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Fair enough. If you say "the #3 receiver on the right side", I would know what you mean. (i.e., you count from outside in, so 3 would be the innermost)
    That kind of info is widely available on teh Googles.
    except that in football we have learned from pee wee league to count inside out. 0 (nose) 1gap, 2, 3gap etc.

But I'm not really sure what we are talking about so....
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    except that in football we have learned from pee wee league to count inside out. 0 (nose) 1gap, 2, 3gap etc.

But I'm not really sure what we are talking about so....
    Gaps are labeled differently from eligible receivers.

Do you ever listen to former players talking football or coaches, bobble? How do you follow if you have no idea what they’re saying?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Do you ever listen to former players talking football or coaches, bobble? How do you follow if you have no idea what they’re saying?
    Sometimes. But their terminology is often different based on the systems they played in. I don't claim to have super knowledge about NFL systems, they are so complex now.

There was a breakdown on Love's TD to Wicks. It showed how scary he is becoming. If believed entirely (and I think I do) he used a hard count to expose the D with 10 seconds on the clock. Stepped up and adjusted the OL protection and moved Reed. Then he stepped back took the snap with a second to go and fired a dime to Wicks.

QBs who can adjust OL protection on the fly are rare. Like 5-7 QBs in the league. Rivers was elite at it which is why he destroyed the blitz while rivaling me in the 40 (and I'm over 50). I've seen Stafford and Maholmes do it. Brady and Manning were great at it (Manning rivaled Rivers). If Love is doing this in the red zone in his first season....Oh My!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I’ll make a glossary at the end of the thread when someone adds something. Anyone who disagrees or thinks we need an edit, show me where i made a mistake and I’ll come by to fix.

There are only a few of us here, so it’s easy enough to use a common football language so we can talk about what happened and not have to use so many damn words to try to describe something.

Glossary of Terms

When talking about the side a play went, we say:
    -“Playside” when referencing things that happened on the side of the field the play was executed
    -“Backside” when talking about the opposite of playside.

Receivers are labeled 1, 2, 3 starting from the outside (sideline) going inward toward the QB.
    -If three eligible are lined up on the right (and the play went right) it’s 1, 2, or 3 receiver “playside”
    -If two eligible are on the left side (and the play went right) it’s 1 or 2 receiver “backside”

When talking about formations we say:
    -1 by 3 if there are 4 eligible on the line and there is 1 on the left and 3 on the right.
    -The first number is the left side and the second is the right side.
    -Example: 2 by 2 would be two eligibles on the line to the left and 2 to the right.
    -If a player on the right motions from a 2 by 2 formation, we would say motioned from a “2 by 2” to a “3 by 1” since one player moved from right to the left.

Throwing a perfect ball
    - Dot
    - Dime
    - Seed

Example: Wow, that pass by Love was a fucking “dot.”

Ted Thompson
    AKA: Polar Bear

Gute
    AKA: German Shepard

Rodgers
    AKA: Butte

Bretsky
    AKA: Poll Troll

Bobble, it doesn’t really matter if Lafleur says it one way and McCarthy another. What matters is that WE can communicate with each other. And everything so far is pretty universal. I hear all football people talk the same way with these standard terms.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries