Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs 49ers

Boy that Niner D was playing with their hair on fire - especially Lenoir and Greenlaw. Thought the OL was decent enough against a very good and deep defensive front. Love looked a little uncomfortable back there for chunks of the game, I think the Niners had much better coverage than Dallas did. This will be one of those games that Love hopefully reviews like he did his first KC game and learns from.

I felt like SF was the more physical team, but GB wasn't backing down. Savage had a tough game, but in coverage, tackling, and the dropped pick was the cherry on the sundae. Campbell looks a step slow, injury or not. I have to think strengthening the spine of the defense - specifically at LB and S - will be a draft goal.
    MLF called a decent game, I felt like GB gave SF all it could handle and showed they belonged. I don't think DAL would have fared better. This was a game of missed chances, and that can kill you in the playoffs.

Aaron Jones had a monster game. Some of his runs that won't show in the game log as big runs were practically heroic. Play him the 1st 4 games of the year, wrap him in plastic for the next 8, and then unwrap him for the end of season/deep playoff run next year lol. McCafferey is a monster because of his versatility, balance and agility, but you could argue Jones was the better back tonight. He was at least his equal.

SF left me thinking they have real vulnerabilities, and if it's BAL vs. SF in the SB I'd take BAL. Purdy is good but he's a bit of a system guy who can execute that offense better than Garropolo or Tua even though he's less talented than either. I thought he was shaky this game, and I wonder if it was rain or rust or GB's defense.

No idea what this does for Barry. I don't think the loss is on Barry specifically, they didn't give up 200+ yards on the ground, Purdy had to throw more than 8 times etc. I think you have to look at his entire body of work - this game as well as the NYG game, or the game vs. PHI last year when they gave up 300+ or the game vs. TEN last year to an ugly offense, or... plenty of highs and lows. My personal preference is for them to move on and find a new DC, but I don't have a vote in MLF's choices lol

I feel bad about the Carlsson kid. People are going to say all kinds of things about him. Meh. The missed FG was a big deal, but it's not like other plays mattered as much or more. Orzech's snaps haven't been great either. I do think they will bring competition for him into camp, it would be crazy not to.
    Nixon as a returner can be wildly entertaining, and terrifying.

Overall a good season with a lot of positives (Love, rookies, sweeping da Bears, playoffs?!, beating DAL) but a loss is always tough. Looking forward to the draft and next season. Roster decision and cap mgmt will be fascinating, after 2024 they should have their major cap hits cleared.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great post Run but I have to disagree that SF was more physical. For the first time in a long time it felt like the Packers had energy on their side vs SF. The loss was due to inexperience which this game provided. Walking away with the feeling like they should have got them is positive unlike licking wounds from a beat down.

As for Carlson he had it easy the past month missing extra points without worry because the offense was lighting the scoreboard up. When he was finally needed he let down.

My keys to the game (in the Gameday thread):

1. We’re gonna need another big game from Jones - 20 for 120.
    2. We’re gonna need a clean game from Jordan and spread it out.
    3. We’re gonna need to defend against their 3 receiving threats (Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk) and contain Christian.
    4. We’re gonna need 2+ turnovers and possibly a defensive TD.
    5. And we can’t miss any kicks/PATs.

We failed on 2, 4 and 5. It’s too bad that Love had 3 bad series in a row and Carlson missed the FG. I think we were better yesterday but failed to capitalize on early drives, dropping INTs and a few bad calls was a clear difference.

I remember that post, Fosco. I replied that if all five happened, we'd win by 4 TDs or so.

If the Packers had played even close to as well as they did against the Cowboys, they would have won easily. I still say the Niners are not near as good as the Cowboys.

Despite all of that, we "coulda/shoulda/woulda" won right down to the end ....... but that's for losers, as APB said in another thread.

I'm convinced that if we had won, it would have been another step down - an easier game next week against the Lions or whoever.

Basically, the football season is over now. I, for one, don't give a shit about any of the teams or games going forward, and I don't expect to even watch them.

Next year, though, and beyond should be something special.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I remember that post, Fosco. I replied that if all five happened, we'd win by 4 TDs or so.

If the Packers had played even close to as well as they did against the Cowboys, they would have won easily. I still say the Niners are not near as good as the Cowboys.

Despite all of that, we "coulda/shoulda/woulda" won right down to the end ....... but that's for losers, as APB said in another thread.

I'm convinced that if we had won, it would have been another step down - an easier game next week against the Lions or whoever.

Basically, the football season is over now. I, for one, don't give a shit about any of the teams or games going forward, and I don't expect to even watch them.

Next year, though, and beyond should be something special.

san Fran is way better than Dallas

When is the last time you saw Dallas Kick San Fran's ass like what occured a few weeks ago ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Talent-wise, Dallas is better. I'm not as negative about McCarthy as some, but it's probable that the Niners are better coached. The Packers going forward should be better than either of them.

Lots of good points here. King Friday, for one, makes a good point that Love needs to use his legs once in a while. I don't know if he thinks he still has to prove he's a QB and is not just going to pull the ball down and run whenever things get dicey, but he had some field in front of him on that last drive, and on another play, a third down, I think, he threw badly to Jones six yards away when he could've run the ball. And Jones was going to get hit immediately.

Joe's post is good. Spot on. This does feel like the beginning of something.

So many missed opportunities, you can't blame only Carlson. The two dropped picks were huge, huge, huge. Both were right in the defender's hands.

The lack of pressure on Purdy at the end of the game was a problem.

Love, as mentioned above, did not have a great game. He was mostly pretty good, but he missed badly on some easy throws and should've tucked and run a couple of times.

I feel badly for Devondre Campbell. It's reminding me a leetle bit of Ray Nitschke's last two years or so. Not that Campbell is Nitschke, but just seeing a guy who just has lost a step. Or two. And is running in sand, can no longer get the job done. Sad.

I think MLF also strayed from Jones toward the end of the game, to the team's detriment.

Yet, all in all, it seems that with a "shoring up of the middle," as Run suggested (I think), this team is positioned to be in the mix next season. Safety or two, a corner, an inside linebacker - geez, we're talking defense AGAIN, a new defensive coordinator, a couple of offensive linemen (one being a center, please), a running back or two. That's all on the wish list. And maybe a nose tackle to compete with Slaton.

I was heartened to see Colby Wooden make a play or two, as I think did Brooks. With an offseason of work, it'll be fun to see them next year. And maybe Wyatt can up his game another notch. I hope so.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    san Fran is way better than Dallas

When is the last time you saw Dallas Kick San Fran's ass like what occured a few weeks ago ?
    Agree. SF is better at the majority of positional groups, in some cases by a wide margin. Not to say DAL lacks talent, just that SF is stacked.
    McCarthy has led them to double digit wins 3 straight years and they won the division over the Eagles. It would have been a bad move IMO to fire him, and I suspect after calming down Jerrah realized it. If anything, the GB beatdown was Dan Quinn's (and Dak's) fault. MLF had Quinn defense figured out. Not hard for GB to run Aaron Jones against a dime defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree. SF is better at the majority of positional groups, in some cases by a wide margin. Not to say DAL lacks talent, just that SF is stacked.
    McCarthy has led them to double digit wins 3 straight years and they won the division over the Eagles. It would have been a bad move IMO to fire him, and I suspect after calming down Jerrah realized it. If anything, the GB beatdown was Dan Quinn's (and Dak's) fault. MLF had Quinn defense figured out. Not hard for GB to run Aaron Jones against a dime defense.

I think the talent of SF is way better than Dallas...that....and San Fran seems to own us
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Who did Dallas play this year? No one. Their 12 wins came against trash. The one good team they beat, the Lions, was controversial.

SF is a way better team top to bottom. The media just fawns over the Cowboys to get clicks.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

hahahahahaha the usual suspects

The 49ers have great talent in a lot of areas. Much of it because Purdy has such a low cap number. It allows them to have such a wealth of talent.

With that said, I truly believe if Tom doesn't have to leave the game it is a different outcome.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    hahahahahaha the usual suspects
    How so? King Friday pointed out a fact. Let's look at it in depth rather than your "the usual suspects."

Wins:
    Giants x2 6-11
    Jets 7-10
    New England 4-13
    Chargers 5-12
    Rams 10-7
    Carolina 2-15
    Washington x2 4-13
    Seattle 9-8
    Phi (beat during the 6 game complete meltdown of the Eagles) 11-6
    Det (a game they really didn't win) 12-5

Losses:
    ARI
    SF
    PHI
    BUF
    Miami
    GB
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    So really the Cowboys only beat the Rams and Seattle. The DET game was handed to them, and they crushed PHI during their collapse in Dallas. Everyone else has a losing record. They got 7 of their wins against really bad teams. Giants, New England, Chargers, Carolina and Washington.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Going into 2024 the 3 best teams in the NFC are the 49ers, Packers and Lions. Then Cowboys and maybe Eagles, if they can recover from their second half collapse.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    The problem for the Packers is going to be that we are going to finally clear out our cap issues and then we are going to have to sign Love to a big deal.

SF still has a couple more years of Purdy on the cheap before they are going to have to pony up serious money if he keeps performing.

-Tim Harmston

Tex, I'd be curious. What positional groups does DAL have that you think are better than SF's?

Deebo + Aiyuk > CeeDee + Cooks. It's close bc CeeDee is so good I'd give the nod to SF. Cooks is cooked and Gallup is no better than Jennings.

Kittle >> Ferguson
    McCaffrey >> Pollard

DAL OL overall is better, but Trent Williams is the best OT in football. Not a big edge.
    SF's DL (including Edge rushers) are better. DAL has Micah and Demarcus, SF has Chase, Bosa, Hargraves, Armstead
    SF's LBs are better. Fred Warner is better than anybody DAL has by far.

DAL CBs are better
    DAL S are a wash, possibly worse

Dak is better than Purdy, but Dak's variance is much much higher than Purdy's. Dak could go off for 4TDs or throw 4 picks.

SF is top to bottom a better team.

run pMc, I generally respect your posting, unlike those "usual suspects" hahahahaha.

To answer your question: Dak is infinitely better than Purdy (you were apparently thinking of last year's Dak); Pollard is only slightly below McCaffrey and I think Dowdle is better than whoever the Niner backup is; Ferguson is at least equal to Kittle plus the Cowboys have a couple other quality TEs; Lamb is enough better than anybody the Niners have to make Cowboy WRs better. Cooks hasn't been too bad, Gallup is certainly no worse than Jennings, and they have a guy named Tolbert who is damn good too; The Cowboy O Line is reputed to be damn good, so I'll give them that group even though I, of course, downplay the importance of O Line; I give D Line and Edge Rushers to Dallas. Parsons is way better than Bosa, Chase Young is not near the factor that Lawrence is, Odigizua and Hankins > than the Niner guys you mentioned; Yes, the Niner ILBs are better and the Cowboys Corners are way better and the Safetys are probably a wash.

Talent-wise the Cowboys are clearly better IMO.

Coaching-wise, I'm gonna call it a wash, as I'm not a McCarthy hater like some in here, and Shanahan may be a little overrated.

Blog Entries
    Mccaffrey "slightly" better than Pollard ? Who cares about Dowdle; I'm not sure who he's better or worse than.

Ferguson at least "equal " to Kittle ?

D Line of Dallas "better"

TEX, the calls coming from upstairs for you to be sent to the concussion protocol tent to test your senses

I watched quite a bit of the 49ers. This isn’t the physically dominant group from a few years ago. Bosa is overrated. He disappears. Deforest Buckner was their best player and he’s gone. Their OL used to be dominant and now they’re just above average thanks to their all pro LT. But average everywhere else.

This is a team with experience at skill positions and in the back end of the defense. They’re very smart, disciplined, steady. They can be bullied though.

They’re a really good team. They’re good enough to win a SB, but they’ll be declining with age.

The Lions will probably rough them up and beat their ass, but if they don’t, the Ravens surely will.

They have a chance to beat the Lions and probably would beat the chiefs. They have a chance, but I don’t like their chances.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.