Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Studs and Dud, Opportunities Missed, Opportunities Lost Edition. Divisional Loss to the Niners

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    19 of the 20 kickers with most points all time are between 5’10” and 6’2”

One is 6’4”

Anders is 6’5”

I looked at pics. He has normal leg length with a weird long Gumby torso.

I don’t think he has the problem of trying to get control of long limbs, but maybe his center of gravity is hard to manage with that Gumby torso he’s rocking.

I don’t know what Gute and his team of mad scientists are trying to do with these skinny tall kickers, but it’s not working.
    Skinny tall kickers? Mason Crosby was 4'-10"

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Wrong thread.

Anders Carlson has a higher career FG% than Mason Crosby, which is surprising. He is much lower on PATs, though. TBF, they did move it back a few years ago so they've gotten harder. Still, MC is significantly better.

Carlson really sucks from 40-49 years out where he is 50% which is trash compared to Mason.

I would suggest that almost every college team has a kicker that good or better, and at least 1/4 of them graduate every year. We should bring in 8 or 10 and keep the best two including one on the PS. Give Carlson a fair chance to compete against them.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think that chunky ass kicker from UW a few years back has any place in the NFL.

True about that. Who ever said he did? I sure as hell didn't. But there are a helluva lot of college kickers coming out every year as good or better than Carlson or at least as good as he has played so far.

If that were true, teams would never sign their kickers to extensions. They would just sign someone who just got their diploma.
    Kickers overall have gotten better, but the league is going thru a stretch where finding a quality reliable consistent one is easier said than done. They usually take a bit of development.

This year there really wasn't cap space or lofty expectations, so having a young kicker work out the kinks isn't the worst thing... assuming he works out the kinks. I think Carlson absolutely needs to improve, and I also think the team needs to bring in camp competition.

The SF playoff loss did not hinge solely on a missed FG. There was dropped Savage Int, a bad 4th & 1 spot, a bad final Int by Jordan Love, and a few other plays that were just as critical. SF's K had one blocked, nobody is going to run him out of town for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    19 of the 20 kickers with most points all time are between 5’10” and 6’2”

One is 6’4”

Anders is 6’5”

I looked at pics. He has normal leg length with a weird long Gumby torso.

I don’t think he has the problem of trying to get control of long limbs, but maybe his center of gravity is hard to manage with that Gumby torso he’s rocking.

I don’t know what Gute and his team of mad scientists are trying to do with these skinny tall kickers, but it’s not working.
    JH with a very good point. Its like hitters in baseball. The longer the limbs, the harder it is to slot in a swing.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    SF's K had one blocked, nobody is going to run him out of town for that.
    Why would they? That wasn't his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    Why would they? That wasn't his fault.
    Well...I'd have to look at the film, but a Kicker has to elevate his kick. If he kicked a line drive then it could be on him. IIRC there wasn't a lot of penetration on the play which actually makes me lean towards it was his fault.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Crosby kicked in a lot of bad weather. He had some tough stretches with bad holders and snappers. He also had a couple ruts earlier in his career. His percentage isn’t great. He’s really not some legendary kicker.

But Crosby was clutch. And you don’t want the “kicker”, a guy mixing with the warrior, who is basically getting a free pass from danger, being arrogant or an ass hole in any way. Crosby acted like a kicker should act, and that’s supportive of the guys around him who were putting their bodies on the line every week. It takes a damn decent dude to be able to be one of the guys with those surrounding circumstances, and by all accounts, no one ever felt any type of way about him being a free loader.

I’m ok riding with Carlson if he’s a great fit in the lockerroom. That’s a position where you really can dial in and become your best with a couple years of fine tuning the craft.

But if there are any signs of douchebaggery, move on to the next guy.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    I would welcome GB drafting the best Kicker in college football, if there is one.

Who is this years's Jake Moody ?

If you believe the team is going to be good for several years, no need to F'ck around with that position. Just find the real deal
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Or scout the various college soccer teams - Aubrey is even better than Moody.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Or scout the various college soccer teams - Aubrey is even better than Moody.
    I’ve never seen a 60 yard field goal clear an additional 15 yards in my years of watching football. Aubrey is a freaking unicorn. He’s gonna make one from 70. McCarthy loves long field goals
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't Aubrey a USFL kicker or something ? He was there for anybody
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Notre Dame, not the football team but the soccer team. Jerry Jones-level GMship.

Blog Entries
    3. Boise State image Jonah Dalmas, K, Boise State
    Height: 5-8. Weight: 161.
    Projected Round (2024): 5-7.

1/20/24: Dalmas connected on 89 percent on his field goals in 2023. His longest went for 56 yards. He was 6-for-6 in the 40-49-yard range.

7/14/23: In 2022, Dalmas made 85 percent – 23-of-27 – of his field goals with a long of 51. Dalmas showed off an accurate leg as a sophomore in 2021, hitting on 93 percent of his field goals. While he was 6-for-6 in the 40-49-yard range, his long of the season was only 47 yards and he missed his lone attempt from 50+. Dalmas hit 88 percent in the shortened 2020 season. Showing more long-range ability in 2023 could help Dalmas.

4. Missouri image Harrison Mevis, K, Missouri
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 236.
    Projected Round (2024): FA.

1/20/24: Mevis connected on 80 percent of his field goals in 2023, and he hit a long of 61 yards.

7/14/23: Mevis hit 22-of-28 – 79 percent- field goals in 2022, with the longest coming from 56 yards. He was a perfect 7-of-7 in the 40-49 range. Mevis had an excellent 2021 season, connecting on 92 percent of his field goals – 23-of-25 – and showed a strong leg, hitting three-of-three in the 50+ range. His season long was 56, and Mevis made 11-of-13 field goals in the 40-49-yard range. In 2020 as a freshman, Mevis hit 85 percent while kicking a long of 52

Blog Entries
    1. Alabama image Will Reichard, K, Alabama
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 194.

1/20/24: Reichard was very good in 2023, connecting on 22-of-25 – 88 percent – of his attempts and hitting a long of 52 yards. From 50 yards and beyond, Reichard was a superb 5-of-5. He had been impressive in the 40-49-yard range at 6-of-6 before going 1-of-4 there in the latter half of the season. In 2022, he made 85 percent of his field goals, with his longest being 52 yards. Reichard has a strong leg and improved his accuracy over a 5-year career with the Crimson Tide.

2. Stanford image Joshua Karty, K, Stanford
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 208.

1/20/24: Karty had a strong senior year, connecting on 85 percent (23-of-27) of his field goals and a long of 56 yards. He was 7-of-7 in the 40-49-yard range and 4-of-7 in from 50 and beyond. Karty earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl.