S Benny Rapp III

CB Robert Rochell

RB Patrick Taylor

P Daniel Whelan
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Players with big cap hits who could be cut or have contracts restructured.

David Bakhtiari - Cap hit 40M

Kenny Clark - Cap hit - 27.5M

Aaron Jones - Cap hit 17M

De'vondre Campbell - 14.2M

Deguara has to be their top priority to sign. There will probably be a bidding war for him.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    We need a vet, ballhawk Safety.

We need more playmaking ILBs

We need a viable 2nd string RB, I LOVE Dillon as a person but he is not a 2 he is a three. We need another guy to replace Jones when he is hurt.

Fire Joe Barry
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

MLF just finished his season ending PC. Has not met with any of coaches yet. Did not provide a timetable on when any coaching evaluations would take place. Coaches are currently meeting with players.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Unlike Sullivan and Hyde, Nixon is an above average nickel corner and should be re-signed. Plus, he has special teams value.

Clark’s production ain’t worthy of the frogskins he’s getting. Time to let the Iranian Stallone go.

Free agent priorities: Safety and ILB.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Yes, ILB is the biggest need. Very few of those get taken in the first round, though.

If we could get a guaranteed elite Safety, yeah, but I'm not nearly as negative about what we have as some people - Rudy Ford IMO has been excellent, Owens has been mostly good, Anthony Johnson (#36) has been decent, and as was said, Savage was ok late in the season. What I see is that all of those guys have been pretty good in this new Barry thing, 2 and 3 deep shell coverages, but single high Safety is a recipe for any of them to look bad.

For sure restructure Kenny Clark and Aaron Jones. Let Devondre Campbell go - unless insiders know something not observable about his being capable of a bounce back. They need to get the Dillon situation clarified before the draft. Yeah, I'd sign him very cheap, but I'm thinking some other team will think he's worth signing for more. If that happens, let him go and draft somebody like Braelon Allen in the 3rd round or so. Definitely tell the sacred cow to hit the road.

I would not draft an O Lineman early, no earlier than fourth. I've never been as negative about Runyan as some people, and he improved IMO late in the season. Re-sign him if it can be done without breaking the bank.

Absolutely re-sign Keisan Nixon and maybe draft a Corner in the mid rounds.

Conduct auditions for kickers. It almost certainly can't be hard to find a better one than Carlson.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

It won't hurt to lose a single one of those unrestricted guys. I suspect a couple will be back for competition on cheapish deals.

Jones and Clark will be re signed/ restructured. Campbell and Bak are gone probably. (McDuffie played pretty well and made Campbell expendable).

If I guess at the unrestricted list I would say Wilson as a core ST guy is back at minimum deal. Same for Tyler Davis if he passes a physical. Of the safeties I think with a new DC Savage is back on a prove it deal. Ford if he is cheap because he is a good ST guy at a minimum and serviceable S in a pinch.

All the restricted guys will be offered minimum deals that they have to sign.

Edit: We have zero? safeties under contract except Johnson. You can't draft 7 of them. That is part of the reason I think Ford will be back at least. Then its just a crapshoot of not great guys who are out there. Its the reason I advocated signing a stud if there is one in FA....I read an article about one guy from Cleveland I think it was.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Unrestricted Free Agents

TE Tyler Davis - offer a cheap 1 year deal, has ST value

TE Josiah Deguara - let him walk, they will look to get better at FB/HB.

RB A.J. Dillon - let him walk unless he wants to take a deep hometown discount. I think some team will make him a modest offer he'd be wise to take. Agree he's more of a very good RB3 than a meh RB2 and you can't pay those guys 2M a year.

S Johnathan Ford - offer him or Owens to 1 year deal for depth and ST value

OT Yosh Nijman - let him walk, he probably wants to compete for a starting role somewhere else at this point

CB Keisean Nixon - they'll want to get better here, but he has a lot of ST value. offer a 2Y/6-8M + incentives.

S Jonathan Owens - offer him or Ford to 1 year deal for depth and ST value

G Jon Runyan - let him walk

S Darnell Savage - let him walk, I think he'll want a new start. If no interest you bring him back cheap.

S Christian Uphoff - let him walk

LB Eric Wilson - bring him back on 1-year deal for ST value

Restricted/Exclusive-Rights Free Agents
    Meh on all of them except Melton and Whelan. They'll probably bring some of them back for depth, competition and ST value. They'll all be cheap and are still under team control with RFA/ERFA status.
    Cut Devondre, Keep Kenny & Preston, redo Jones' contract to keep him.
    Bakhtiari is probably a goner but it's a whole thing in itself.

Probably redo Jaire or someone's contract to create more cap space. They have a lot of draft picks so they will continue to get younger and cheaper as their cap mess unwinds. I think they may wait until after the draft to bring back most of these players, none of these FAs are make-or-break signings except Nixon IMO.

Anthony Johnson Jr. is the only safety under contract next year. They'll likely bring somebody back, but they will absolutely look at cheap FA and draft to get better there. It was a weakness this year.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Getting rid of Campbell only saves $2.5 (i think) on cap so there is not way we find an ILB that is as good as him that cheap.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Getting rid of Campbell only saves $2.5 (i think) on cap so there is not way we find an ILB that is as good as him that cheap.
    He really seems to have lost a step. Actually, I think there is a chance you can find a FA ILB for less than that. https://overthecap.com/free-agency

The Green Bay Packers signed LB Keshawn Banks (KEY-shawn), S Tyler Coyle, WR Grant DuBose, DL Jonathan Ford, CB Zyon Gilbert, CB Anthony Johnson, QB Alex McGough (ma-GOO), RB Ellis Merriweather, LB Arron Mosby, LB Kenneth Odumegwu (oh-doo-MAY-goo), FB Henry Pearson, WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick), T Kadeem Telfort and TE Joel Wilson. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Monday.

All 14 players finished the season on the Packers' practice squad.

Kenny Clark is in the last year of his deal next year. It looks to me like he’s owed almost 40M more of cap hit. Quinnen Williams makes 24M. If Clark is extended for 3 years at 25M per year, plus the 40 he’s owed, it would be 4 years 115M total contract. 29M per year.

Yikes. But you can’t even think about the 40 he’s owed. That is what it is. It’s not going away. You have to think about the 25 per and if he’s with that, and I think he his.

Man, Aaron Rodgers was dead set on making sure the Packers wasted all of their resources on his shot so as to leave Love in a situation where his early career is digging out.

I think you resign Clark, then restructure with voids and eat it 4 years from now when the cap is higher. But it’s an unfortunate situation.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

All the negative crap spewed by ingrates about Rodgers and the cap situation he gets the blame for, yet the Packers have at very least a top five roster talent-wise.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Really, the big chunks of dead space left to eat are:

Bahktiari (20M)
    Clark (20M) *but you spread that over his next deal and deal with it later
    Jones (10M) *again, spread that over his deal and take it later

The rest of the contracts are in good shape. After this year we really only have 30M of dead space to eat, that we won’t eat for 4 years. 30M now is more like 20M 4 years from now. So honestly, if Gute doesn’t get unlucky with injuries AND doesn’t sign any bad deals, our cap situation is cleaned up after 2024.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    All the negative crap spewed by ingrates about Rodgers and the cap situation he gets the blame for, yet the Packers have at very least a top five roster talent-wise.

Kaaron put the screws to GB really good
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

It’s going to be really interesting in 2 years to see who we end up keeping in the skill player group. The dreamer and schematic schemer in me hopes that Kraft and Musgrave become beasts so they are the two locks. After that, I think you want an elite speed guy on the outside so Watson finding health would be ideal. And then you replace the rest in the draft and get compensatory picks for them or trade them for something better than a compensatory if that’s an option.

It still has to play out. Reed and Wicks could become elite guys and they would be priority. Anything could happen. But I’m dreaming of a physically dominant offense that can run it down your throat and have all kinds of impossible to cover options in the passing game so I hope it’s a best case scenario for Musgrave, Kraft and Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Kenny Clark is in the last year of his deal next year. It looks to me like he’s owed almost 40M more of cap hit. Quinnen Williams makes 24M. If Clark is extended for 3 years at 25M per year, plus the 40 he’s owed, it would be 4 years 115M total contract. 29M per year.

Yikes. But you can’t even think about the 40 he’s owed. That is what it is. It’s not going away. You have to think about the 25 per and if he’s with that, and I think he his.

Man, Aaron Rodgers was dead set on making sure the Packers wasted all of their resources on his shot so as to leave Love in a situation where his early career is digging out.

I think you resign Clark, then restructure with voids and eat it 4 years from now when the cap is higher. But it’s an unfortunate situation.
    https://overthecap.com/player/kenny-clark/4739
    They pushed a big chunk of it into a void year, so some of that money won't hit until the year after his contract expires.
    He does have a big cap hit, but not 40M. It's what happens when you play well enough to make it to your last year of your contract. Ask Aaron Jones about that.

I could see them doing an extension and play some games with the money, but I'd be leery of it. We've seen 3rd contracts not work out so well in the past (see: Bakhtiari, David). Outside of QB, I'm not sure a 3rd contract is a good idea (unless it's a series of 1 year deals), usually the player is too expensive and too old to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    It’s going to be really interesting in 2 years to see who we end up keeping in the skill player group. The dreamer and schematic schemer in me hopes that Kraft and Musgrave become beasts so they are the two locks. After that, I think you want an elite speed guy on the outside so Watson finding health would be ideal. And then you replace the rest in the draft and get compensatory picks for them or trade them for something better than a compensatory if that’s an option.

It still has to play out. Reed and Wicks could become elite guys and they would be priority. Anything could happen. But I’m dreaming of a physically dominant offense that can run it down your throat and have all kinds of impossible to cover options in the passing game so I hope it’s a best case scenario for Musgrave, Kraft and Watson.
    which is why I think they should go back to the well in 2025 draft and take a WR on Day 2. I don't think they can or will keep all these guys, and some will flame out of not develop further along the way.
    I think Reed and Wicks will be the ones getting most of the targets FWIW
    I like Musgrave a lot but I think Kraft is a keeper