Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RG, you want to see how Love could make a cool billion in 15 years (actually not that unrealistic hahahaha - an average of 67 million a year).

You spelled out the primary way yourself with that progression of the salary cap.

What you do is start him out with a five year deal, maybe 80 million bonus plus salary of $2, 10, 23, 35. and 45 million for the five years - $185 million 5 year contract - $33 per season, probably a bargain. Cap hit would be $16 million plus the salary per year, not bad. Before the fifth year, you extend him for years 5-9. A bonus of $100 million (the 45 + 55 more), salaries of $5, 12, 28, 40, and 50 million. That's face value of $235 million for 5 years. Cap hit would be a very doable $20 million plus the salary. Before the last (9th) year, extend him again for 5 more - years 9 - 13, $125 million bonus (50 + 75 more), salaries of $8, 17, 30, 50, and 65 million. That's face value of $295 for 5 years. Cap hit would be $25 million plus the salary each year, not too bad with that expanded cap. Before the last (13th) year, extend him for 5 more - years 13-17, $130 million bonus, salaries of $10, 25, 40, 50, and 60. That's face value of $285 million. Cap hit would be $26 million plus annual salaries. That would add up to a billion. I think he would likely still be fit enough to play great those 16th and 17th seasons, but if you want to think he gets cut after 15 years, then that's dead money of $52 million - probably spread out with voided years.

Let CPA APB check my figures, but I'm pretty sure this totals to your billion and 15 years.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    RG, you want to see how Love could make a cool billion in 15 years (actually not that unrealistic hahahaha - an average of 67 million a year).

You spelled out the primary way yourself with that progression of the salary cap.

What you do is start him out with a five year deal, maybe 80 million bonus plus salary of $2, 10, 23, 35. and 45 million for the five years - $185 million 5 year contract - $33 per season, probably a bargain. Cap hit would be $16 million plus the salary per year, not bad. Before the fifth year, you extend him for years 5-9. A bonus of $100 million (the 45 + 55 more), salaries of $5, 12, 28, 40, and 50 million. That's face value of $235 million for 5 years. Cap hit would be a very doable $20 million plus the salary. Before the last (9th) year, extend him again for 5 more - years 9 - 13, $125 million bonus (50 + 75 more), salaries of $8, 17, 30, 50, and 65 million. That's face value of $295 for 5 years. Cap hit would be $25 million plus the salary each year, not too bad with that expanded cap. Before the last (13th) year, extend him for 5 more - years 13-17, $130 million bonus, salaries of $10, 25, 40, 50, and 60. That's face value of $285 million. Cap hit would be $26 million plus annual salaries. That would add up to a billion. I think he would likely still be fit enough to play great those 16th and 17th seasons, but if you want to think he gets cut after 15 years, then that's dead money of $52 million - probably spread out with voided years.

Let CPA APB check my figures, but I'm pretty sure this totals to your billion and 15 years.
    I said 15 billion dollars. I used a high number to show beyond a doubt that you can’t spend any amount you want.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I said 15 billion dollars. I used a high number to show beyond a doubt that you can’t spend any amount you want.
    Oh yeah, so you did. I think you know, that would be ridiculously unrealistic. What I gave you was sort of a "high normal" example. Obviously you can't do ridiculous things with the cap, but my point and what APB said also is that anything reasonable at all is very doable - no "cap hell"/no need for panicky fools to get all hyper about. And if a team doesn't do that, they put themselves at a disadvantage compared to teams that do - think Ted Thompson.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 02-07-2024 at 12:13 PM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Oh yeah, so you did. I think you know, that would be ridiculously unrealistic. What I gave you was sort of a "high normal" example. Obviously you can't do ridiculous things with the cap, but my point and what APB said also is that anything reasonable at all is very doable - no "cap hell"/no need for panicky fools to get all hyper about. And if a team doesn't do that, they put themselves at a disadvantage compared to teams that do - think Ted Thompson.
    Ok, so you guys just speak in hyperbole and really you know there are limits to what is possible. You just think most things are possible and there is little downside.

Even that softened take, I don’t agree with. I do think the common view skews a little too far in the direction of being safe. I agree pushing out is better. The cap will be up at last 30% in any given 5 year span. It’s always better to take the same hit later when it’s a smaller percentage of the larger whole.

Mathematically, you’re at a disadvantage if you insist on paying now because there is simply less now to spend.

But what we did after Covid. That doesn’t make sense. We lose a bunch of guys to void year cuts and get nothing back from the compensatory pool. That’s the only big disadvantage. Other than that, paying later is just better. It’s better, better. There’s no doubt in my mind you’ll always have more talent if you’re always taking the hits down the road.

But like I said, guys who would expire when they’re 28/29 and still get a good contract, those void year cuts do take away from extra picks and I don’t like that tool for that reason.

So my view is push out as much as you can with signing bonuses, but be careful when you use voids. Voids are great for aging guys who are highly unlikely to draw a big contract when you cut them since they will not be getting you a comp pick anyway.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

//
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.