Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    "Mathematically, you’re at a disadvantage if you insist on paying now because there is simply less now to spend." - yeah, this is the crux of the matter.

Your whole post does a pretty good job of summarizing what I (and APB) have been saying. That's also what the Packers and a lot of successful teams do. My strong opinion is that it works because it brings winning football. You think otherwise?
    It brings boom/bust. We didn't bust because Gutes had back to back historically successful drafts. Fucking Legend! Well, we did bust a year earlier I guess technically when Rodgers had an owie on his thumb.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    It brings boom/bust. We didn't bust because Gutes had back to back historically successful drafts. Fucking Legend! Well, we did bust a year earlier I guess technically when Rodgers had an owie on his thumb.
    Nobody in the NFL has been less "boom/bust" over the past three decades or so - consistent winning football with Favre and Rodgers and strong probability of it continuing another decade or more with Love.

It was a little unclear whether you mean boom/bust by being Ted Thompson - not riding the edge of the cap OR doing the opposite as I, APB, and to some extent Gutekunst like. The boom/bust thing IMO is caused by teams stupidly tearing down to rebuild - something which the Packers haven't done for a long long time - rebuilding on a fly. Of course, being blessed with consecutive HOF QBs kinda makes it all possible.

Frozen Tundra, taking your word for it on the facts about the Chiefs, that's an example of doing it the other way, more like the Ted Thompson way, not pushing the cap to the limit. I'm thinking that works for the same reason - hitting it big with a HOF level QB. Just as with the Packers in the Thompson years, though, arguably they are not maximizing things. They could be even better hahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Frozen Tundra, taking your word for it on the facts about the Chiefs, that's an example of doing it the other way, more like the Ted Thompson way, not pushing the cap to the limit. I'm thinking that works for the same reason - hitting it big with a HOF level QB. Just as with the Packers in the Thompson years, though, arguably they are not maximizing things. They could be even better hahahaha.
    One other thing KC seems to have going for it is that the players seem inclined to buy into the "team first" mentality, and understand that the price of playing on a well-run and successful team is you may not make as much money. Mahomes, for one, could be making more money if he wanted to push it, and Travis Kelce admits that it's frustrating knowing that teammates who get traded away or leave in FA are making a lot more than he does. But, he loves his teammates and the organization, and it's important to him to be a part of it.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    A lot of truth to this. If we don't have the great drafts we had, our offense would have been stunted. If that is the case, who knows if we are as positive about Love as we are right now.

We would be tight to the cap with no franchise QB for sure who is looking for a contract and a ton of holes to fill on the offense as well as the defense.

We could be looking at the doom and gloom that Tex was so sure was going to happen if we traded ARod until we traded ARod and then Tex was happy he was gone.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston