Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Every cent paid to a player is added up and cannot exceed the threshold of the “salary cap”

As such, a team can only spend a limited amount of money regardless of how much money they have in their coffers.

Since the salary cap is annual, a better way to look at it is as a 5 year pool of money vs a one year cap since there are ways to spread the money given now over 5 years. Since the salary cap goes up, paying later creates a situation where the same dollar amount paid now is a smaller amount of the cap later. Most teams always push out to maximize what they can spend now and not feel it as much later with the larger cap.

However, Packers, no matter how much money they have, could not afford to pay Jordan Loce 400M a year for the next 5 years because no matter how much you spread that out, it still exceeds the maximum allowed to spend.

The limit of what they can spend is not what they have in the bank, but it’s also not as rigid as a one year 260M cap either.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Every cent paid to a player is added up and cannot exceed the threshold of the “salary cap”

As such, a team can only spend a limited amount of money regardless of how much money they have in their coffers.

Since the salary cap is annual, a better way to look at it is as a 5 year pool of money vs a one year cap since there are ways to spread the money given now over 5 years. Since the salary cap goes up, paying later creates a situation where the same dollar amount paid now is a smaller amount of the cap later. Most teams always push out to maximize what they can spend now and not feel it as much later with the larger cap.

However, Packers, no matter how much money they have, could not afford to pay Jordan Loce 400M a year for the next 5 years because no matter how much you spread that out, it still exceeds the maximum allowed to spend.

The limit of what they can spend is not what they have in the bank, but it’s also not as rigid as a one year 260M cap either.
    That helps me understand, thank you. I DID ask people who had knowledge to respond, but I should have specified “knowledge of facts” because APB’s response assumed I meant “knowledge of fantasy.”
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack