Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I’m certain we’ll be drafting one or more RB’s. Packers want at least one veteran at the position. Makes sense.
    I agree and I'm thinking it's a high pick - Round 2 or 3.

Remember a couple of months ago, when Hafley was asked to describe what kind of safety he most wanted?

"I want a guy who can erase things—we've got to eliminate explosive plays when we play this defense," said Hafley. "If a run hits up the middle, this guy has got to come out of the middle of the field with his hair on fire and has got to be able to get a guy down."

"I think that position has to be a guy with high ball production, meaning he's got be able to intercept the ball."
    Apparently Daddy Gutekunst heard you, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    RBs are not a dime a dozen, especially in the Shanahan offense. The Packers are in win now mode, and putting all your eggs in an unproven rookie behind Jones, who is incredibly fragile, would be a huge risk.
    Disagree. Both Shanahans have been able to do just fine with who dats at RB. Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Gary Anderson, Philip Linsley, etc. in Denver. At SF - Elijah Mitchell has been fine for them. Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert, etc have done fine in SF. McCaffrey takes their offense to a different level, but he'd do that anywhere. Not saying the RB doesn't matter, but if they are a fit for the offense they will do fine without being a star.

I'd also say they aren't in win-now mode - their window really opens in 2025. Winning last season speeds up the expectations, but they still have cap hits to unwind and they have a LOT of young players. This isn't like the 2021-22 run it back teams...those were Win-Now because they had a lot of older guys and pushed contract money out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    Lets all weep for poor old Aaron Jones and his $34,688,273 that he has collected from the Green Bay Packers.......
    I don't weep, certainly not for this reason. He was a class act and a dynamic player for the team. Also a role model for those young players on offense. That has value and will be missed.

I don't think swapping Jacobs for Jones is that great of a trade off. Here's hoping Jacobs can rediscover his 2022 magic. He's had more carries in less pro seasons than Jones, and this last year didn't look good. Hard to tell with the Raiders because the McDaniels/QB situation was bad.
    Not a big fan of signing a RB in FA, especially one with wear and tear coming off a down year to a $48M deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers sign Xavier McKinney to 4 year, 68M contract. No word yet on guaranteed money.
    Wow. They have invested a lot in this defense from both free agency and draft picks.

Apparently the Jacobs deal has $12M guaranteed, so I bet it's really more like a 2 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Disagree. Both Shanahans have been able to do just fine with who dats at RB. Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Gary Anderson, Philip Linsley, etc. in Denver. At SF - Elijah Mitchell has been fine for them. Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert, etc have done fine in SF. McCaffrey takes their offense to a different level, but he'd do that anywhere. Not saying the RB doesn't matter, but if they are a fit for the offense they will do fine without being a star.

I'd also say they aren't in win-now mode - their window really opens in 2025. Winning last season speeds up the expectations, but they still have cap hits to unwind and they have a LOT of young players. This isn't like the 2021-22 run it back teams...those were Win-Now because they had a lot of older guys and pushed contract money out.
    Those were not just run-of-the-mill RB’s in their prime. TD is in the Hall of Fame.

I'm good with the Jones-Jacobs move if only because we can't be sure we have a quality backup. Jones has needed to split carries so we need a solid #2. Jacobs is used to taking all the carries.

Kinda interesting as Jacobs is a few years younger but basically got the same deal Jones signed 3 years ago.

For Jacob’s it’s 1 year and then 3 packers option years. So more optionality than signing AJ to a big extension or just keeping him for year.

Interesting - Jones saved our ass at the end of the year and was a good packer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    Kinda interesting as Jacobs is a few years younger but basically got the same deal Jones signed 3 years ago.

For Jacob’s it’s 1 year and then 3 packers option years. So more optionality than signing AJ to a big extension or just keeping him for year.

Interesting - Jones saved our ass at the end of the year and was a good packer.
    Jones is a dynamic, natural runner. Hope he finds a team to give him one more big payday, but I would guess a shorter deal averaging 4 million with some incentives is the best he will do. Really hard to ignore his age and how history treats rb's at that age.

Those were not just run-of-the-mill RB’s in their prime. TD is in the Hall of Fame.

I like the Packers strategy in free agency. A veteran RB and safety could pair very well with some new blood in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    Jones is a dynamic, natural runner. Hope he finds a team to give him one more big payday, but I would guess a shorter deal averaging 4 million with some incentives is the best he will do. Really hard to ignore his age and how history treats rb's at that age.
    If that's the best he can do, he might be back with the Packers.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If that's the best he can do, he might be back with the Packers.
    Ouch

Andrew Brandt
    @AndrewBrandt

Josh Jacobs:
    Reported deal:
    Four years, $48 million.
    Real deal:
    One year, $14.8 million, and three Packer option years.
    Strong deal for one year, and then "we'll see."

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Top remaining free agents the Packers should target:

1. Aaron Jones

So we make an massive upgrade at safety and likely sideways move at rb while getting a much younger player.

I hate feeling like we are kinda winning the off season, but dam, Mckinney is quality! And 17 million per for one of the best safeties in the league?
    Does Hafley have ties to him?
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    So we make an massive upgrade at safety and likely sideways move at rb while getting a much younger player.

I hate feeling like we are kinda winning the off season, but dam, Mckinney is quality! And 17 million per for one of the best safeties in the league?
    Does Hafley have ties to him?
    He does now. But no, I don't think so. McKinney attended Alabama.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Packers organization is drinking tiger blood today. Can’t wait for the season and we still have the draft!

I don't weep, certainly not for this reason. He was a class act and a dynamic player for the team. Also a role model for those young players on offense. That has value and will be missed.

I don't think swapping Jacobs for Jones is that great of a trade off. Here's hoping Jacobs can rediscover his 2022 magic. He's had more carries in less pro seasons than Jones, and this last year didn't look good. Hard to tell with the Raiders because the McDaniels/QB situation was bad.
    Not a big fan of signing a RB in FA, especially one with wear and tear coming off a down year to a $48M deal.
    This is the take with which I agree.

Man, it’s a cold world. Aaron Jones was class, and a real difference-maker, on and off the field.

And Jacobs got more wear and tear in terms of numbers of carries, and had a bad year last year.

Me no like.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack