Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Josh Jacobs and Xavier McKinney will speak to the media in the Packers locker room this morning. Jacobs at 9 a.m., McKinney at 9:30.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Did ya'all cap fanatics read the article that the Packers used an obscure rule that let them sign Dillon and $1.45 million won't count against the cap? Something about how he is a fan-favorite with four years on the team or something.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Did ya'all cap fanatics read the article that the Packers used an obscure rule that let them sign Dillon and $1.45 million won't count against the cap? Something about how he is a fan-favorite with four years on the team or something.
    The Packers are clearly in a cap hell.

Why the fuck haven’t they cut Cletidus Clark yet? This bum has a 27M cap hit. Cutting this bum will open up about 3M. This bum clearly ain’t worth the 15M he will get paid this season.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    The Packers are clearly in a cap hell.

Why the fuck haven’t they cut Cletidus Clark yet? This bum has a 27M cap hit. Cutting this bum will open up about 3M. This bum clearly ain’t worth the 15M he will get paid this season.
    You know I don't like sarcasm hahahahaha. You also know, that while you and I have solidarity about the cap, we differ greatly about the value of Kenny Clark. Assuming that $27 million cap hit is accurate, they should restructure him i.e. cook the cap regarding his contract. What the "ya'all" crowd as I call them do not seem to understand that the reason why the cap is not a problem is that you can deal with it intelligently by kicking things on down the road.

With Aaron Donald retiring, Clark just might be the best D Lineman in the league.

His cap hit is so high because they've converted salary to bonus twice to gain cap space, and now that he's in the last year of his deal they can't do much else with it.
    Clark might be the best IDL in the NFCN. If you think that's not worth $15M in salary, consider what the NYG just paid Runyan Jr. to play Guard.

don't like resigning dillon

he averaged a 1 per carry less then jones, running the same plays with the same line. thats crap. but he is the coaches favorite that he's back

throw in nixon and his insane 6 million a year for a guy who should be nothing more then a return guy to the 2 million that dillon is getting, and you should have just kept jones and had the best RB tandem in the league

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    throw in nixon and his insane 6 million a year for a guy who should be nothing more then a return guy to the 2 million that dillon is getting, and you should have just kept jones and had the best RB tandem in the league
    I agree with this.
    I think the Nixon contract was a little rich, although Keisean is always available. I'd rather they have trimmed off a million or two from Keisean's total contract, gave it to Jones to keep him and let Dillon walk, but maybe Nixon had more interest from other teams.
    At a minimum signing Nixon and Dillon reduces any urgency to reach for a player at a position if the draft doesn't fall how they want. I still think they need to take an inside CB and a RB with upside.

As for Wilson, I think that was posturing. Sure they probably love him, but I haven't seen much from him. Maybe he has a Year 2 leap in him, but I'm doubtful. They always talk one or two players up in the offseason and these cute puffpieces come out, and then the season starts and they do nothing. It's like the kiss of death for a player. See: Tyler Davis in 2022, Samari Toure in 2023.

I'm about 50/50 about signing Dillon. He was cheap, really cheap considering the cap rule I referred to above. Also, I'm not quite as negative as some about his performance last season. Given what we have heard about Jacobs, it would be more feasible to have Dillon, a backup rather than a fairly equal rotating RB. I've been advocating getting that kind of fairly equal rotating RB in the draft (Braelon Allen for example). That might be less likely now. And then there's Wilson who supposedly the Packer brass really like. So what will happen? I think they still draft a good RB around the 2nd or 3rd and keep 4 RBs. Where on the roster do they eliminate a spot? No idea. We've got easily 6, maybe as many as 7 or 8 WRs worth keeping. With the signing of Davis, we likely will keep 4 TEs. We pretty much always have about 9 O Linemen with several vegetating on the bench, not even being worthy of playing special teams. I doubt we trim the numbers on D, all things considered. So all things considered, even though I like Dillon, I wish they hadn't signed him, as it complicates the whole mess.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The price is good for what he brings. Other than knowing he isn’t going to get 10+yards on any given play he is solid. Also not used right at times. He had 0 fumbles last season (3 in career 2 came in one game) and that alone is worth it IMO. He was able to give Jones breathers so he should be able to do the same with Jacobs hopefully in a lesser capacity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    The price is good for what he brings. Other than knowing he isn’t going to get 10+yards on any given play he is solid. Also not used right at times. He had 0 fumbles last season (3 in career 2 came in one game) and that alone is worth it IMO. He was able to give Jones breathers so he should be able to do the same with Jacobs hopefully in a lesser capacity.
    It's a good sign. He's got one thing going for him, he's got a lot to prove. He's a funny guy. His speed doesn't come into play until his 3rd stride. If you zero him early, he goes down. Solid in pass pro and doesn't fumble as Mad says. Many guys need that 3rd season to get it together, you'd hope he's in that category.

runpc wrote that Dillon is three yards and a cloud of dust. I'd agree except that when you absolutely need that one or two yards on third down, Dillon seemed unable to just get that couple of yards. For a guy with his quads and size, you'd think he could make those third-and-one or third-and-two carries pretty much automatic first downs, but he didn't seem to be able to do that. He wasn't as bad as Richard Rodgers - I've never seen a guy crumple so fast after a hit - but he can't seem to break that tackle at the line of scrimmage enough to get the one or two yards.

But yes, while you're getting your rookie running backs up to speed on pass pro and such, Dillon is solid for knowing the plays, pass protection, catching the ball out of the backfield.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    runpc wrote that Dillon is three yards and a cloud of dust. I'd agree except that when you absolutely need that one or two yards on third down, Dillon seemed unable to just get that couple of yards. For a guy with his quads and size, you'd think he could make those third-and-one or third-and-two carries pretty much automatic first downs, but he didn't seem to be able to do that. He wasn't as bad as Richard Rodgers - I've never seen a guy crumple so fast after a hit - but he can't seem to break that tackle at the line of scrimmage enough to get the one or two yards.

But yes, while you're getting your rookie running backs up to speed on pass pro and such, Dillon is solid for knowing the plays, pass protection, catching the ball out of the backfield.
    Half the issue is running shotgun on 3 and 2.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Still waiting to see what the real numbers are on Nixon's contract. I'm okay, but only okay, on the Dillon signing. My guess is Dillon and Wilson will be battling for the same roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Still waiting to see what the real numbers are on Nixon's contract. I'm okay, but only okay, on the Dillon signing. My guess is Dillon and Wilson will be battling for the same roster spot.
    I think Nixon is far more valuable now with the new kickoff rules. It would’ve been a bad contract under the prior rules, where you should have just taken a free catch every time. Now, there is going to be value on having a returner who can make a big return, and Nixon can.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I think Nixon is far more valuable now with the new kickoff rules. It would’ve been a bad contract under the prior rules, where you should have just taken a free catch every time. Now, there is going to be value on having a returner who can make a big return, and Nixon can.
    And remember, that seems to be something Lafleur values disproportionately relative to most other coaches. He often speaks about how much he loves Nixon's ability (and willingness) to run basically every kick out. Loves the way it keeps the other team off-balance, and especially loves the way it boosts the morale of his teammates. They're fired up on the sideline, excited to see one of his fullspeed runbacks, and they run on the field energized and full of momentum. Every single possession, instead of taking the first snap right after a boring touchback, we're basically starting our possession immediately following a big play - almost like taking the field after an interception. LaFleur feels very strongly that that's an important way to get a drive off to a good start.

I think Dillon is a fine RB3, but I could see him getting cut if there's little to no cap hit and he gets outplayed.

Yeah, please don't do that any more. I hate that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Where's the "Fire Hafley" Thread?

Really slacking around here..... disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    Where's the "Fire Hafley" Thread?

Really slacking around here..... disappointed
    https://packerrats.com/showthread.ph...-Hafley-Thread

lol. I couldn't find the thread. Thanks.