Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Well, this is a pleasant surprise.... we're $24.5 million under the cap right now.

https://lombardiave.com/posts/update...y-01hscp7zy983

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.
    That 24.56 million was before Nixon's contract. Now about 21 million, which ranks 13th.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Don't know if you homers saw this about Dillon's contract. GB used a little known clause in the NFL few utilize. They signed Dillon to a minumum wage contract for a 4 year veteran so he roughly counts about 1.3 MIL against the cap, even though they can pay him up to the 2.5 MIL range. I asssume they adeed bonsues that do not count against the cap regardless.

On the other side, it's reported that Guters offered Jones 4MIL per year for the next 2 years to stay. I can see why Jones are a bit hurt by being Jordy'd
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

As for all this relief among the cap panickers, like shit, this sort of thing happens. Gutekunst has indeed done a good job, but it's the kind of thing that happens without really trying for the teams that do NOT get all panicky and start stupidly unloading good players. The thing he has done that is so great is not fussing about the cap, but finding a bunch of really high quality young players.

With the probable huge Love contract coming up, they have the option of not prorating a big bonus i.e. not minimizing the cap in the first year. Handling the cap is not always a matter of pushing things on down the road. It's a matter of doing what is smart to do in a variety of ways.

Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

WHAT are you doing posting facts ; you tend to ignore the factual data and and evidence and draw your conclusions without them
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.
    Yup.
    Gotta believe.

Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.
    So the "media pukes" that you hate, make fun of, and don't pay any attention to are just fine when they say something you agree with.

For the most part, people don't whine about cap hell. They just disagree the cap can be ignored without consequences.

Supposedly the Packers have enough now to sign another free agent, but we're at the bottom of the barrel here. Guter and his scouts are going to have to pull a Rasul Douglas/Devondre Campbell out of his hat.

Plus, ideally, you'd like to structure deals now so you're not always binding yourself up down the road. More upfront money. Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Supposedly the Packers have enough now to sign another free agent, but we're at the bottom of the barrel here. Guter and his scouts are going to have to pull a Rasul Douglas/Devondre Campbell out of his hat.

Plus, ideally, you'd like to structure deals now so you're not always binding yourself up down the road. More upfront money. Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.
    Might wait now to see what players get cut after the draft. De'vondre was a June signing. Rasul was taken off a practice squad in October.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.
    Fritz, with all due respect, I realize that you’ve been a die-hard Pack fan since you disavowed the Redcoats in 1963 for refusing to draft Jim Brown. The Packers and cheese go together like Coldplay and awesome.

But c’mon, man! You’re a professor of English, yo! Enough with the cheesy puns. Give us some elegant homophonic/homographic/homonymic puns! (No homo jokes, please.)
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 03-21-2024 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Reading the wiki on “pun.”
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

According to Eric Wilson's IG account, he's back with Packers. Linebacker depth and key ST guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    According to Eric Wilson's IG account, he's back with Packers. Linebacker depth and key ST guy.
    Not a bad signing. Probably an inexpensive contract for GB and he's solid depth. He's better than Ty Summers.

The Packers are serious about challenging Anders Carlson. Per Bill Huber at SI.com, they worked hard to get an unidentified veteran FA, and both sides had agreed to a deal. Before actually signing, the kicker changed his mind and signed with a different team.

The only veteran FA kickers who have been signed are:

Wil Lutz
    Nick Folk
    Brandon McManus
    Joey Slye

Seemingly, it would have to have been one of those four.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The Packers are serious about challenging Anders Carlson. Per Bill Huber at SI.com, they worked hard to get an unidentified veteran FA, and both sides had agreed to a deal. Before actually signing, the kicker changed his mind and signed with a different team.

Wil Lutz
    Nick Folk
    Brandon McManus
    Joey Slye

vet kickers can be signed during the season or any other time if need be

we should have signed one during last season

we at least need to have a real competition for the spot before next season

Blog Entries
    I cast my vote for Nick Folk.

At the least he'd show our green kid what it means to be a pro.

He only missed one FG last season.

29 of 30. He missed two XP's.

Our youngun was last in the league in missed XP's.

Bring him to camp and lettum fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I cast my vote for Nick Folk.

At the least he'd show our green kid what it means to be a pro.

He only missed one FG last season.

29 of 30. He missed two XP's.

Our youngun was last in the league in missed XP's.

Bring him to camp and lettum fight.
    Actually our youngun was first in missed XP's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Actually our youngun was first in missed XP's.
    When you miss the most xp's, you are last, bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Wil Lutz
    Nick Folk
    Brandon McManus
    Joey Slye

I wonder if said kicker knew he was competition for Carlson, and if Carlson kicked well, the vet was gone. So off he goes to a team who makes him the undoubted #1 kicker guy dude.

As to whether Anders Carlson was #1 in the league in missed extra points, or whether he was last in extra point conversions, the answer is, well, yes.

I think Daniel Whelan needs to bring Carlson back to Ireland this offseason and have the kid play some rugby over there. Somehow, I think that'll straighten the kid right out.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    I wonder if said kicker knew he was competition for Carlson, and if Carlson kicked well, the vet was gone. So off he goes to a team who makes him the undoubted #1 kicker guy dude.

As to whether Anders Carlson was #1 in the league in missed extra points, or whether he was last in extra point conversions, the answer is, well, yes.

I think Daniel Whelan needs to bring Carlson back to Ireland this offseason and have the kid play some rugby over there. Somehow, I think that'll straighten the kid right out.
    I'm going to Ireland in May. Will take in the Heineken 7's rugby tournament.

Planning on partying hard.

If I see Whelan I'll give him the word.