Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I think Nixon is far more valuable now with the new kickoff rules. It would’ve been a bad contract under the prior rules, where you should have just taken a free catch every time. Now, there is going to be value on having a returner who can make a big return, and Nixon can.
    And remember, that seems to be something Lafleur values disproportionately relative to most other coaches. He often speaks about how much he loves Nixon's ability (and willingness) to run basically every kick out. Loves the way it keeps the other team off-balance, and especially loves the way it boosts the morale of his teammates. They're fired up on the sideline, excited to see one of his fullspeed runbacks, and they run on the field energized and full of momentum. Every single possession, instead of taking the first snap right after a boring touchback, we're basically starting our possession immediately following a big play - almost like taking the field after an interception. LaFleur feels very strongly that that's an important way to get a drive off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

The #Panthers have agree to terms with former #Packers OT Yosh Nijman, source said, some depth for the O-line
    Nice deal for him: "The NFL Network report said Nijman’s two-year contract is worth $8 million, including $5 million guaranteed, and has up to $7 million more in incentives."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    There's more randomness than most people think. Watson might never have a another hamstring injury. He might have one the first practice. Having good training and therapy plans can help, but they just shift the odds. They don't guarantee anything.
    due to the fact that watson has missed multiple game every year (even in college) to hamstring injuries, its a pretty safe bet hes gonna hurt it again

there is seriously something not right with the way he is made, or at least the way his right hamstring is made

he missed 8 game last season with 2 separate right hamstring injuries
    missed 3 games his rookie year week 1, 6 and 7 due to his right hamstring
    and missed 3 games his senior year in college for right hamstring issues

Details of Keisean Nixon contract finally out.

3 years, 18 million. 6.5 million signing bonus.

Cap hit by year:

2024: 4 million
    2025: 6.8 million
    2026:7.2 million

Would save 2.5 million on cap by cutting him in 2025 with 4.3 million dead cap.
    Would save 5 million on cap by cutting him in 2026 with 2.2million dead cap.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    due to the fact that watson has missed multiple game every year (even in college) to hamstring injuries, its a pretty safe bet hes gonna hurt it again

there is seriously something not right with the way he is made, or at least the way his right hamstring is made

he missed 8 game last season with 2 separate right hamstring injuries
    missed 3 games his rookie year week 1, 6 and 7 due to his right hamstring
    and missed 3 games his senior year in college for right hamstring issues
    Now do Jaire, Stokes, and Bahktiari. Ope, Bahktiari's been cut.

I don't think Watson's injury issues will completely go away - dude is really tightly wired and I think he'll always be easily dinged up as a result - but I think if his availability improves by even 50% that's a big win for GB. Jayden Reed will see a lot of attention this year, Watson is needed to threaten defenses.
    The worrying part is how many right hamstring injuries can he sustain before it completely snaps and/or he loses his speed & explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Details of Keisean Nixon contract finally out.

3 years, 18 million. 6.5 million signing bonus.

Cap hit by year:

2024: 4 million
    2025: 6.8 million
    2026:7.2 million

Would save 2.5 million on cap by cutting him in 2025 with 4.3 million dead cap.
    Would save 5 million on cap by cutting him in 2026 with 2.2million dead cap.
    So it's a deal that is easy to get out of in a year or two. I don't see him getting to 2026 with this contract.

Dillon's contract is good for both sides too:

Per the stipulations of the four-year qualifying contract that Dillon signed, he was allowed to earn up to $2.742 million in 2024. Dillon hit that number exactly, as he’s set to make a $2.575 million base salary with a $167,500 signing bonus. He will only count $1.29 million against the cap, though, as the four-year qualifying contract allows the Packers to pay him an uncapped $1.45 million.
    (acmepackingcompany)

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    So it's a deal that is easy to get out of in a year or two. I don't see him getting to 2026 with this contract.
    When it comes time to pay the 22 and 23 draft classes, that salary's going to have to go. He might be safe through 25, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    When it comes time to pay the 22 and 23 draft classes, that salary's going to have to go. He might be safe through 25, though.
    Agree. My guess is his skills will have diminished and they will have a new slot CB by then anyway.

Agree. My guess is his skills will have diminished and they will have a new slot CB by then anyway.
    Running back 50-60 kickoffs and punts every year puts a lot of wear and tear on a 200-pound man, too.

I don't think Watson's injury issues will completely go away - dude is really tightly wired and I think he'll always be easily dinged up as a result - but I think if his availability improves by even 50% that's a big win for GB. Jayden Reed will see a lot of attention this year, Watson is needed to threaten defenses.
    The worrying part is how many right hamstring injuries can he sustain before it completely snaps and/or he loses his speed & explosion?
    I think this is going to be a career-long issue with him. You're right; chronic recurring hamstring strains frequently have a cumulative effect making reinjury increasingly more likely with each recurrence. I think the biggest issue is that in order to heal properly, the athlete needs to take a lot more time to rest and rehab the injury than the NFL can afford to give him. Hamstrings usually take several weeks (or months) to fully heal, and it's very difficult for a player to take that much time. But if they come back before it's fully healed, it becomes not just likely but probable that they'll reinjure the muscle.

Hamstring injuries account for 12% of all primary injuries in the NFL, and the recurrence rate is 32%. Players also have a 24% chance of sufffering a separate lower-body injury that same season (ankle, knee, groin, etc), from compensating for the hamstring. Wide receivers suffer 55% of all hamstring injuries in the NFL, and are more likely to suffer recurrences.

He may never have another hamstring issue as long as he lives, but the odds are stacked against him. This season is probably his make or break year. If he can sail through 24 without another tweak, maybe we can be optimistic - but if he misses significant time again, we may have to accept that availability is always going to be questionable with him.

Well, this is a pleasant surprise.... we're $24.5 million under the cap right now.

According to Over The Cap, the Packers have $24.56 million in cap space, the 11th-most in the NFL.

They have the flexibility to sign more free agents, should they wish, and still have plenty left over to sign their upcoming draft class. The Packers won't necessarily spend big on another player, but they can make any move they need to.
    https://lombardiave.com/posts/update...y-01hscp7zy983

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Well, this is a pleasant surprise.... we're $24.5 million under the cap right now.

https://lombardiave.com/posts/update...y-01hscp7zy983

I'm sure some of that is earmarked for Love, and maybe frontloading contracts for a couple other young players (and of course, you still have a draft class to sign next month, and you need some for in-season free agents), but it sounds like we may be able to add a linebacker or another safety after all.

Plus, we get another $10.5M back on June 1 when Campbell is off the books, and we're projected to be $60,000,000 under in 2025. Obviously Love will get a lot of that, but still - I don't know how Gute did this, but damn. I'm impressed.
    That 24.56 million was before Nixon's contract. Now about 21 million, which ranks 13th.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Don't know if you homers saw this about Dillon's contract. GB used a little known clause in the NFL few utilize. They signed Dillon to a minumum wage contract for a 4 year veteran so he roughly counts about 1.3 MIL against the cap, even though they can pay him up to the 2.5 MIL range. I asssume they adeed bonsues that do not count against the cap regardless.

On the other side, it's reported that Guters offered Jones 4MIL per year for the next 2 years to stay. I can see why Jones are a bit hurt by being Jordy'd
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

As for all this relief among the cap panickers, like shit, this sort of thing happens. Gutekunst has indeed done a good job, but it's the kind of thing that happens without really trying for the teams that do NOT get all panicky and start stupidly unloading good players. The thing he has done that is so great is not fussing about the cap, but finding a bunch of really high quality young players.

With the probable huge Love contract coming up, they have the option of not prorating a big bonus i.e. not minimizing the cap in the first year. Handling the cap is not always a matter of pushing things on down the road. It's a matter of doing what is smart to do in a variety of ways.

Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I posted about that rule they used on Dillon several days ago.

WHAT are you doing posting facts ; you tend to ignore the factual data and and evidence and draw your conclusions without them
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Yeah, and I tend to ignore the media pukes too, but I came across this little article by somebody describing the rule.
    So the "media pukes" that you hate, make fun of, and don't pay any attention to are just fine when they say something you agree with.

Don't worry, ya'all, in a couple of years, there will be a LOT of big money contracts needed for the young star quality players we have. Gutekunst will do what is necessary to keep everybody worth keeping, and ya'all will be back stewing and whining about cap hell.
    Yup.
    Gotta believe.

For the most part, people don't whine about cap hell. They just disagree the cap can be ignored without consequences.

Supposedly the Packers have enough now to sign another free agent, but we're at the bottom of the barrel here. Guter and his scouts are going to have to pull a Rasul Douglas/Devondre Campbell out of his hat.

Plus, ideally, you'd like to structure deals now so you're not always binding yourself up down the road. More upfront money. Like, say, for a certain QB who has no hate - only Love.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack