Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Offseason/Free Agency Thread

You seriously think the Packers are not that way too? I certainly think they are.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Not sure where you're getting the KC numbers.
    They have 2.3M in cap space for what remains of this season, and 23M for 2024. OTC shows them as having 44 players under contract for 2024, so that 23M will get chewed up quite a bit; after draft picks and allowing a little in-season wiggle room you probably have 10-12M for FA signings.

Like GB, they had a lot of issues early with their offense and the receivers. Kelce and Rice are their most reliable options, and Kelce is a 35 year old TE. I'd guess they want to move on from Toney and aren't thrilled with Skyy Moore and MVS. On the OL, Hurmphrey will get an extension, Smith might too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/
    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs

You can say their cap situation is better than GB's, but they aren't exactly flush in cap space. Or am I missing something?

I would like to see the Packers get a free agent - I'm guessing Guter will let someone else sign the top-end free agents and set the market, then sign a mid-tier guy - and then draft two or three safeties. Maybe re-sign either Ford or Owen to play the more down-in-the-box safety. This would be both a band-aid - the free agent or agents - while giving the rookies a year or two to get up to speed. Safety seems to be one of the hardest positions to learn. Took Darren Sharper two full seasons. Nick Collins, too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    It brings boom/bust. We didn't bust because Gutes had back to back historically successful drafts. Fucking Legend! Well, we did bust a year earlier I guess technically when Rodgers had an owie on his thumb.
    A lot of truth to this. If we don't have the great drafts we had, our offense would have been stunted. If that is the case, who knows if we are as positive about Love as we are right now.

We would be tight to the cap with no franchise QB for sure who is looking for a contract and a ton of holes to fill on the offense as well as the defense.

We could be looking at the doom and gloom that Tex was so sure was going to happen if we traded ARod until we traded ARod and then Tex was happy he was gone.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You guys always dogging Tex for his loyalty. You all don’t understand he is just a gang member in white mans clothing. Even when on the wrong side he is always for the gang.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    You guys always dogging Tex for his loyalty. You all don’t understand he is just a gang member in white mans clothing. Even when on the wrong side he is always for the gang.
    Oh I get it. Watching a game with him would be fun. Trying to have a well thought out discussion is maddening.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Oh I get it. Watching a game with him would be fun. Trying to have a well thought out discussion is maddening.
    My brother is the same way. It’s not as fun as you think. Everyone else is like, oh man, this was disappointing, I worry about that, maybe we need this, etc. My brother just stops talking and leaves. The next game he’s right back, 100% sure of victory again. Didn’t process what happpened at all. Doesn’t feel anxious anticipation. Just sits down with no excitement, completely assured of another victory. It’s actually maddening, believe it or not.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

He’ll talk for 10 minutes before the game about why we’re gonna dominate, but if you mention a doubt or concern, he pretends like he didn’t hear you and goes back to the 100% reality that we’re going to win. He doesn’t actually call you a degenerate to your face, but you know what he means. You’re too much of an idiot to entertain your imbecilic thought process. It’s not as fun as it seems in theory.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    I’m sure you would find rich guy things to talk about. He would then kick your ass at tennis. But then he would play double with you to beat down RashanGary and his bro.

Sorry that’s a potential scene for the PackerRats movie. As for this thread I think veteran back up QB would be a nice luxury. In these next years ahead, during all the big moments to come, it would be nice for Love to have a mentor. Someone who has been there done that can help him from locking up like the end of the 49ers game.

hahahahahaha Your image of me is talking "rich guy things"? Not me. Unmentionable things, if you know what I mean, yeah. I can't see talking much football with him, though, as he's exactly what he says I and others are.

I might be up for beating down RashanGary (the poster, not the pass rusher) at tennis, but I have more respect for him than most of the posters in here - probably top 4 or 5. bobblehead might make the top 10 or 12.

Veteran QB? Where did that come from? I'm extremely fine with Sean Clifford. We had a whole thread about that - before it went to hell. Clifford ain't near as good as Love, but he would be more than adequate if he had to play for a while - more to be trusted with the keys to the car than some lame-assed retread, whoever it might be.

Blog Entries
    You play fukin tennis man you country clubbing mofo!!

I explained why above. I have no problem with Clifford. Love’s current trajectory Clifford really doesn’t have a role and damn sure won’t want to wait around. Just seems like it would be a win/win for both sides.

As for this thread I think veteran back up QB would be a nice luxury. In these next years ahead, during all the big moments to come, it would be nice for Love to have a mentor. Someone who has been there done that can help him from locking up like the end of the 49ers game.
    Someone like... Sean Mannion, for example? He'd be perfect!

You play fukin tennis man you country clubbing mofo!!

I explained why above. I have no problem with Clifford. Love’s current trajectory Clifford really doesn’t have a role and damn sure won’t want to wait around. Just seems like it would be a win/win for both sides.
    hahahahaha I play tennis because it's free - as opposed to golf which I also play but it's damn expensive. The only thing I ever did at a country club was caddie when I was a kid.

As much as I like Clifford, he seems more like career quality back up material than starter. If I'm wrong, and we can get something for him in trade like Flynn, Brooks, etc., great. Then I'd still rather get some other young mobile guy than some old retread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Someone like... Sean Mannion, for example? He'd be perfect!
    Not really old enough and more importantly hasn’t done shit unless he was playing the Packers defense. I was thinking a QB who has been in the playoffs. Flacco would be the type. Maybe Wilson soon since we are talking Seattle leftovers.

As for needs, a straight up stud and a straight up thug at LBer would be an upgrade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    hahahahaha I play tennis because it's free - as opposed to golf which I also play but it's damn expensive. The only thing I ever did at a country club was caddie when I was a kid.

As much as I like Clifford, he seems more like career quality back up material than starter. If I'm wrong, and we can get something for him in trade like Flynn, Brooks, etc., great. Then I'd still rather get some other young mobile guy than some old retread.
    Haha! You say it’s damn expensive but yet you play. Then you confess to being a country club member since childhood. Bobble please do not commit a crime with Tex he will tell on himself!

Ok I’m gonna go full TexasPackerBacker on you. Why the fuck do we need any other QB when we got Love??? That’s negativity talk and now I fear you might predict the Packers DONT go undefeated next season. I think these naysayers are finally turning you to the dark side. Don’t let the shitheads get to you man!!!

Not really old enough and more importantly hasn’t done shit unless he was playing the Packers defense. I was thinking a QB who has been in the playoffs. Flacco would be the type. Maybe Wilson soon since we are talking Seattle leftovers.

As for needs, a straight up stud and a straight up thug at LBer would be an upgrade.
    I see your point. Makes me think of Kevin Greene taking Matthews aside and telling him, "This is your time" in the Super Bowl. A lot of people could have said the same thing at the same moment, but it wouldn't have meant as much coming from anyone but Greene.

And Flacco would be a hell of a choice, if he'd go for it. As far as Wilson is concerned, I wouldn't want him even in the same area code as Love, much less in his ear.

Mannion will have his role to play, but you're right. This isn't quite it. I think his value will be more as a day-to-day influence, a lot of little things here and there. I remember Kirk Cousins saying that Mannion played a big part in making him a more complete and consistent quarterback (or some similar language), which I thought was remarkable considering he's 4 years older than Mannion. But yeah - it would have been nice to have Joe Flacco on the sideline with his arm over Jordan's shoulder just before that last drive in San Francisco. Wonder if he'd go for it? Now that you mentioned his name, I have a hard time imagining anyone else to do it!

You have any linebackers in mind who answer to that description and whom we can afford? Most of the ones I've been looking at are probably well over $10M per copy. Doesn't leave a lot left for safety, which I think is an even bigger need this year.

Haha! You say it’s damn expensive but yet you play. Then you confess to being a country club member since childhood. Bobble please do not commit a crime with Tex he will tell on himself!

Ok I’m gonna go full TexasPackerBacker on you. Why the fuck do we need any other QB when we got Love??? That’s negativity talk and now I fear you might predict the Packers DONT go undefeated next season. I think these naysayers are finally turning you to the dark side. Don’t let the shitheads get to you man!!!
    bobblehead often accuses me of not reading the shit he posts good enough, so I guess I'm going "full bobblehead" on you hahahahaha. I did NOT say I had been a country club member since I was a kid. What I said was the only time I was ever even in a country club - and not even a member then - was as a caddy a few times about sixty something years ago. Oh yeah, and I did sneak onto Pebble Beach and play a few holes one time in the 70s when I was in the army. My high school prom was at the local country club, but nerd that I was, I didn't go. You should owe me one free you-know-what post in the wrong place for this hahahahaha.

And golf, yeah, I play it some - sneaking on for free most of the time my first 20 or 30 years, playing mostly cheap courses after that, using a driver I got in a pawn shop, and using most of the same irons I used 50 or 60 years ago.

And why do we need a backup QB if we have Love? Seriously, or are you using bobblehead-esque sarcasm? Advising the QB is what you have coaches for - Clements and Mannion for when Clements retires. I want a young guy like Clifford to put on the field "just in case" - not an old immobile plug like Flacco.

And I never liked Kevin Greene. The only longhaired weirdo I even tolerated was Clay Matthews, well, I guess Aaron Jones too hahahaha.

Oh and one more thing, I'm so old that think I might have coached Sean Mannion's father or grandfather in youth baseball at Fort Ord in the '70s - same last time, I think first name Sean, and a damn good player.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 02-11-2024 at 10:12 AM.

Oh and one more thing, I'm so old that think I might have coached Sean Mannion's father or grandfather in youth baseball at Fort Ord in the '70s - same last time, I think first name Sean, and a damn good player.
    Could the kid have been named John? Because they're from the Bay area, and his dad must have been an athlete because he's a football coach. Sean was born in San Jose in 92, so the geography and the timeline work out.

Mannion's a big guy, 6'6". Do you rememember if your player was tall for his age?

hahahahahaha Your image of me is talking "rich guy things"? Not me. Unmentionable things, if you know what I mean, yeah. I can't see talking much football with him, though, as he's exactly what he says I and others are.

I might be up for beating down RashanGary (the poster, not the pass rusher) at tennis, but I have more respect for him than most of the posters in here - probably top 4 or 5. bobblehead might make the top 10 or 12.

Veteran QB? Where did that come from? I'm extremely fine with Sean Clifford. We had a whole thread about that - before it went to hell. Clifford ain't near as good as Love, but he would be more than adequate if he had to play for a while - more to be trusted with the keys to the car than some lame-assed retread, whoever it might be.
    Donkey shows? Incest?

Talk to us, Tex, baby!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Don't tempt me, Fritz - you got warned recently too. What's a donkey show anyway? I've heard of guys liking sheep, but donkeys?

Frozen, I found out that much in Google too. I'm not sure. The area and time was about right, but the height and the name doesn't seem likely. The kid was a real athlete but not particularly tall at Little League age.