Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
Guys I really don't want at this point

STALEY----You are getting a guy here who is friends with MLF and to be honest has run a very similar defense to Barryball. He's a hard pass for me

Up and Comers---Truth be Told, I just don't have a ton of faith in our ability to select an upcoming stud DC so I want somebody who's been there/done that and you hand the keys to. The MIlwuakee Bucks through they struck gold; but he was junk. Don't wanna take the chance
I am in the exact opposite camp. I'm tired of retreads, of guys running defenses that worked ten years ago but don't any more. The Packers need someone who can mix-and-match, adjust on the fly, zone and man, know when to blitz and when not to, understand that offenses have evolved and players play at a much higher level on offense than they did fifteen or twenty years ago. QB's dont' make the kinds of mistakes they made twenty years ago, at least not as often. The bend-but-don't-break don't work no more.

Besides, Bretsky, you used to drool if the Packers were interested in anyone the Patriots had interviewed. You thought the Patriots walked on water. And the Pats interviewed this guy.

I do think offenses perform at a higher, more consistent level than they did twenty years ago. You can't wait around for them to make a mistake by letting them slow-walk it (or in Barry's case fast-walk it) down the field.

As for the "hating-50-year-old-white-guys" thing, once you hit sixty, you're like everybody's grandpa and it's all good. So maybe hiring Rex Ryan could work out, too. But I'd like the young buck.
Man, I am fired up for a young guy. Besides, the Flower seems to do better hiring young, unproven guys (Stenavich) than retreads (Barry). So let's go big and let the kid do it. Warby Parker it is, baby! Hire that guy!