View Poll Results: Who Do You Want As Packers New DC?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Leonhard

7 25.93%
  • Ejiro Evero (Not Likely Available)

0 0%
  • Mike Zimmer

2 7.41%
  • Brandon Staley

1 3.70%
  • Al Harris

2 7.41%
  • Rex Ryan

0 0%
  • Marquand Manuel - Jets Safeties coach

0 0%
  • Jesse Minter - DC - Michigan

1 3.70%
  • Wink Martindale

1 3.70%
  • Chris Hewitt - Ravens DB/Passing Game Coor

7 25.93%
  • Chris Harris - Titans CB/Passing Game Coor

0 0%
  • Aubrey Pleasant - Lions DB/Passing Game Coor

0 0%
  • Anthony Weaver - Ravens Asst HC/DL Coach

1 3.70%
  • Leslie Frazier

0 0%
  • Dave Aranda - HC - Baylor

1 3.70%
  • Sean McDermott - If Fired

0 0%
  • Mike Vrabel

1 3.70%
  • Other

3 11.11%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Want As Packers New DC?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    That’s not what I meant. I meant Lafleur got a chance as a first time coordinator. He should be open to bring in a young up and comer.

I don’t want Vrable or Cheat or really anyone much over 40. I want one of the youngest coordinators in the league, a guy who can relate the this ridiculous new generation.

at least I'd want somebody who has shown success as a DC, either at a dominant college or NFL level.

I don't wanna throw darts at one of all these young guys like the Milwaukee Bucks did
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Here is a list of DC candidates around the league. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...rs-news-rumors

No mention of Leonhard. Is he even pursuing an NFL job? Is he blacklisted because he was offered the Packers job and then turned it down? Or is it still early?
    Could be blacklisted since he went to the media. I saw that on Apckers Transplants.

Blog Entries
    STUD LIST

Rey Ryan (and bring in Jimmy as a coach to assist)
    Mike Zimmer
    JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY (Hope Flower does not neglect him since he turned it down once; sounds like Phily wanted him last year)
    Wink Martindal
    Ejaro Evero (he's clearly my #5 but my view of him has grown to where I'd be happy with him)

I THINK these are guys above who you can hand the keys to the defense and let them run the show
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Guys I really don't want at this point

STALEY----You are getting a guy here who is friends with MLF and to be honest has run a very similar defense to Barryball. He's a hard pass for me

Up and Comers---Truth be Told, I just don't have a ton of faith in our ability to select an upcoming stud DC so I want somebody who's been there/done that and you hand the keys to. The MIlwuakee Bucks through they struck gold; but he was junk. Don't wanna take the chance

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    You REALLY think that? YGTBFKM
    What is that? Are you the zodiac killer? Staley had ONE season of success with the Rams. He has been an abject failure with the chargers. His defenses have been bad even with some really good talent. I REALLY don't know which one is smarter. I also don't REALLY know which one is a better coordinator. What I do know is there are far better options than either one.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Andrew Mertig
    @andrewmertig

Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-27-2024 at 03:02 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Andrew Mertig
    @andrewmertig

Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.
    Id feel really good about this hire. Risky, but I like risky!
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Meh, I am with Bretsky, just not a fan of draft-and-develop for a coordinator. F'ing this up sets them back a couple years. Lots of guys can look competent but turtle up when the pressure is on. You need someone that has proven to not turtle up because 90% of the time who the coach is doesn't matter.

Patriots had interviewed Parker, but have promoted their DL coach, DeMarcus Covington to DC.

Blog Entries

IF that report is true, and GB only chose to interview "these" 4 defensive coordinator candidates, and offered this guy without even interviewing other candidates that are far more qualified...well.....Flower, that a serious F'CK UP.

It sounds like 2 teams have requested interviews for him. The Patriots, who didn't hire him, and Green Bay. Not too overwhelming.

I'm going to wait and see; I absolutely don't want Staley.

But I have no idea what this guy has over Al Harris, or Joe Whitt, neither of which I really want either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    What is that? Are you the zodiac killer? Staley had ONE season of success with the Rams. He has been an abject failure with the chargers. His defenses have been bad even with some really good talent. I REALLY don't know which one is smarter. I also don't REALLY know which one is a better coordinator. What I do know is there are far better options than either one.

BIGGER QUESTION

Maybe the Flower doesn't want a big personality to lead this defense. Maybe the guys he's considering are guys he's friends with (Staley) or guys who are considered risers, but not that qualified on paper.

It takes a confident coach to hire somebody whose overqualified, maybe just as qualified on defense as Matty is on Offense.

Holmgen never seemed afraid of that.

Not many coaching trees seems to be branching off any GB Head Coach since Holmgren

Here's another article on Parker https://theathletic.com/3053746/2022...condary/?amp=1

By the sound of it, he has a lot of good qualities, and experience with multiple schemes. I would have liked them to at least check out the Baltimore guys, but he should be a good DC.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I like it a lot. There is a huge amount of disdain and disrespect toward 50 year old white guys from the younger generations. This is a young, black alpha. Smartest guy in the room type, hardest worker. He has traits that naturally appeal to the young players. He’s young. He’s smart. He’s black. This is how to reach this crowd. This is the guy!!

Blog Entries
    I like it a lot. There is a huge amount of disdain and disrespect toward 50 year old white guys from the younger generations. This is a young, black alpha. Smartest guy in the room type, hardest worker. He has traits that naturally appeal to the young players. He’s young. He’s smart. He’s black. This is how to reach this crowd. This is the guy!!

I don't care if he's white or black; it's kind of warped that you'd point that out in either a positive or negative manner. I just want a great DC

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't care if he's white or black; it's kind of warped that you'd point that out in either a positive or negative manner. I just want a great DC
    There is this disdain i see on social media toward 50 year old white guys. I just think there is more trust from younger people toward youger people, and non white people.

I mean, white guys are kinda ass holes a lot of the time. Lack empathy, etc.

If you spend any amount of time on Twitter, some black guy will say, hey, I’m so proud to be the first of my family to do this and the first black guy on this spot.

And it never fails, 50 year old white guys with Oakley’s telling the guy to shut the fuck up about the race card. Maybe they’re bots, but there is huge mistrust from the way these morons talk on social media.

Parker, if he gets the job, will be a bold and exciting pick. He's worked under several coordinators in a short time. Mike Pettine in 2019-2020, Fangio/Donatell in 2021, Ejiro Evero in 2022 and Vance Joseph in 2023. He must have had some good reviews for Fangio to hire him as DB coach in 2021 after only 2 years in the NFL.

His connection to the Packers was probably through Notre Dame. He coached there in 2017 and LaFleur coached there in 2014.

He had a role with the Broncos in 2023 that involved more than just coaching DB's:

So what kind of a coach is Parker and what would he run in Green Bay, if he were named the team’s defensive coordinator? There isn’t that much information about the 32-year-old who has yet to call plays at any level, but a few reports shed light on how well-regarded he is in Denver.

One of these comes from Taylor Kyles, a Patriots beat reporter, who had a conversation with Robby Davis, who covers the Broncos. According to Davis, Parker was key to transitioning the defense from the Fangio-style defense to the scheme that Joseph wanted to run in Denver. The Packers saw the mid-season improvement from the Broncos first-hand, as they were held to just 17 points only four games after Denver allowed 70 points to the Miami Dolphins in Week 3.
    Vance Joseph speaks highly of him:

“He’s sharp, man,” current defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said of Parker on June 14. “He’s sharp. He’s a star. He is a great partner to work with. As a veteran coach, I’ve coordinated for about seven years now. My tape is out there, so I’m looking for ways to do different things.

“[I’ve been] speaking with Christian every day and bouncing ideas off him from what he’s done with Vic [Fangio] and guys in the past has been fun. [We’re] making changes and growing off what they did last year. He’s smart, he works his butt off and his players love playing for him. He’s a star.”

https://x.com/itszacharyj/status/175...Oxzq2_jOx_kBGw

50 year old white dudes on Twitter. Reasons the younger generations hate older white dudes.

https://x.com/itszacharyj/status/175...Oxzq2_jOx_kBGw

50 year old white dudes on Twitter. Reasons the younger generations hate older white dudes.
    Nothing like Twitter to get a balanced view of what an entire generation thinks.