View Poll Results: Who Do You Want As Packers New DC?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Leonhard

7 25.93%
  • Ejiro Evero (Not Likely Available)

0 0%
  • Mike Zimmer

2 7.41%
  • Brandon Staley

1 3.70%
  • Al Harris

2 7.41%
  • Rex Ryan

0 0%
  • Marquand Manuel - Jets Safeties coach

0 0%
  • Jesse Minter - DC - Michigan

1 3.70%
  • Wink Martindale

1 3.70%
  • Chris Hewitt - Ravens DB/Passing Game Coor

7 25.93%
  • Chris Harris - Titans CB/Passing Game Coor

0 0%
  • Aubrey Pleasant - Lions DB/Passing Game Coor

0 0%
  • Anthony Weaver - Ravens Asst HC/DL Coach

1 3.70%
  • Leslie Frazier

0 0%
  • Dave Aranda - HC - Baylor

1 3.70%
  • Sean McDermott - If Fired

0 0%
  • Mike Vrabel

1 3.70%
  • Other

3 11.11%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Want As Packers New DC?

Why would Rex Ryan leave his cozy TV gig for maybe equal money, more stress, way longer hours? God I would LOVE it though.

Another Ravens coach in the mix:

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

The #Packers requested to speak with #Ravens secondary coach Dennard Wilson for their vacant defensive coordinator job, source said. He's also interviewing with the #Titans today for their DC job, and the #Rams and #Giants have talked to him, as well.
    So far:

Brandon Staley
    Bobby Babich - Buffalo LB coach
    Aden Durde - Dallas DL coach
    Christian Parker - Denver DB coach
    Dennard Wilson - Baltimore secondary coach

Wilson was a defensive quality control assistant for the Rams from 2012-14, the defensive backs coach for the Rams from 2015-16, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets from 2017-18, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Jets from 2019-20, the defensive backs coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Eagles in 2022 and the Ravens defensive backs coach in 2023.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Another Ravens coach in the mix:

Wilson was a defensive quality control assistant for the Rams from 2012-14, the defensive backs coach for the Rams from 2015-16, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets from 2017-18, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Jets from 2019-20, the defensive backs coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021, the passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Eagles in 2022 and the Ravens defensive backs coach in 2023.
    Now, if we're looking to go get an unproven DC, THIS is the type of resume I'd be looking for versus the guy from Denver. Coaching for multiple successful D's. Longer track record. On a team with one of the best D's this year.

Bobby DePaul
    @bobby_depaul

Sometimes the league just does the evaluation for you! Dennard Wilson is the top secondary coach in the NFL and people from around the NFL are finally waking up and recognizing his “It Factor”. Whoever gets him will win big based off all the analytics and the tape watching! A clean sweep!

Ravens Again:

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero

The #Packers requested to interview #Ravens ILB coach Zach Orr for Green Bay’s defensive coordinator position, per source. Orr is a former Ravens LB who is projected as a DC very soon. Orr has been a close lieutenant to Mike Macdonald in Baltimore.
    So far:

Brandon Staley
    Bobby Babich - Buffalo LB coach
    Zach Orr - Baltimore ILB coach

Zach Orr was a Badger too, no? I love looking at the Ravens folks. I'd much prefer those who have experience in that culture than someone from the Broncos.

Edit: nope, must have been a different Orr. I like that Zach Orr was an all-pro in 2016 before retiring due to injury. I also like that he did not have prototype size/speed, so he must have been very instinctive and smart. Wilson or Orr seem like good hires to me.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Zach Orr was a Badger too, no? I love looking at the Ravens folks. I'd much prefer those who have experience in that culture than someone from the Broncos.
    I have to agree with the culture comment. BAL has been known for defense for a long time. Let's get that in our building and start adopting that mind set.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I have to agree with the culture comment. BAL has been known for defense for a long time. Let's get that in our building and start adopting that mind set.
    I'm sick of what seems to have been our mindset in the last couple of decades. We just need to play well enough on D to let BF and ARod to outscore the other team.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Orr is another very young candidate. At 31, a year younger than Parker. Under his coaching, Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen have been as good as any ILB pair in the NFL. Queen especially has really improved with Orr as coach.

Coaching career

Baltimore Ravens
    On January 31, 2017, Orr began his coaching career and was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as a defensive analyst under head coach John Harbaugh. This came 11 days after announcing his second retirement.[9]

Jacksonville Jaguars
    On February 11, 2021, Orr was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as their outside linebackers coach under head coach Urban Meyer.[10]

Baltimore Ravens (second stint)
    On February 23, 2022, Orr was hired by the Baltimore Ravens as their inside linebackers coach under head coach John Harbaugh.[11]

Personal life
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-30-2024 at 09:43 AM.

Edit: nope, must have been a different Orr. I like that Zach Orr was an all-pro in 2016 before retiring due to injury. I also like that he did not have prototype size/speed, so he must have been very instinctive and smart. Wilson or Orr seem like good hires to me.
    Zach Orr's younger brother Chris played at Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Andrew Mertig
    @andrewmertig

Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.

Andrew Mertig
    @andrewmertig

Well, based on the new round of interviews this appears to be incorrect. I do apologize for anyone who was misled. This was a legit team source, so I’ll try to follow up and see what happened. But at the end of the day I was clearly wrong to post it. To clarify a few things I’m not “chasing clout”. I don’t care about followers or getting my name out there. I’m not trying to gain followers or monetize anything. I had some info that seemed correct, I didn’t expect it to blow up, and now it appears like it may have blown up in my face.

I am glad that MLF seems to have no real foregone conclusions - this seems like it's wide open, and I like that.

I'm up for a younger guy with some new ideas about attacking offenses, and teaching his players to tackle well. I know so little about these guys I can have no real opinion as to which one is going to be the best fit as DC. I went with Christian "Warby" Parker simply because he was the first "new unknown" guy they interviewed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Cross one off MLF's list:

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

The #Bills are promoting LBs coach Bobby Babich to be their new defensive coordinator, sources tell me and
    @MikeGarafolo

Babich has worked his way up in Buffalo since 2017, now lands in a prime job for Sean McDermott.

Brandon Staley
    Bobby Babich - Buffalo LB coach - Staying with Buffalo - promoted to DC
    Zach Orr - Baltimore ILB coach

I hope Babbich gets to call plays. He could come here and have the whole defense to himself. I know Mcdermott has given up play calling duties before, so who maybe Babbich will have the full job.

But I think being DC with an offensive minded HC is a better resume builder.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Now, if we're looking to go get an unproven DC, THIS is the type of resume I'd be looking for versus the guy from Denver. Coaching for multiple successful D's. Longer track record. On a team with one of the best D's this year.
    I agree. Wilson is a good combination of relative youth (he's 41) and experience. Not tied to one defensive scheme. With all the different jobs he's had, should have a good roster of potential assistants he'd like to work with in mind.

Why would Rex Ryan leave his cozy TV gig for maybe equal money, more stress, way longer hours? God I would LOVE it though.
    He took an interview in 2022. Coaches wanna coach.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Babbich promoted to Buffalo D.C. Scratch him off the list.

Seattle just hired Mike McDonald. Wilson and Orr might be gone too.

congrats to Fritz, QBME, RashanGary for winning by not having the sack to pick anyone from that huge long list of names

I voted other. I forgot to mention Jeff Halvely was my guy.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.