Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Interviewing isn't the issue. You are right on the last couple of sentences.

It eventually is about the money. I will say that he has turned down many jobs while he was the defensive coordinator for the badgers. He passed on Aranda money. If you don't have a current job and you keep passing on jobs those offers will eventually go away. It was sort of time to cash in and make the jump to the NFL.

From what I have heard the Denver job is a good jumping in point. He gets to run the secondary this year with potential to move up in the future. It's a win win at the moment. Payton was the head coach when Leonhard was with the Saints for cup of coffee. The connection is through the Ryan Defensive Tree of Coaches.

For Comparison sake, I interviewed for a head coaching position at one of the more storied high school programs in the state of Wisconsin. In reality I didn't want the job. I didn't want to move across the state and set up a new life in a town I had never been. The football side of it would have been great, but the rest of it would have sucked. Eventually it would have been fine, but it would have been a lot to deal with in the beginning. I have way more flexibility. My kids are gonna both be in college next year, my wife's job is flexible. We are financially in a position to make it work, but like I told her - I really like my life the way it is now.
    Yeah, it's probably not due to his interview skills. My point is we don't really know what's going on. It could be any number of things. That being said, they do interviews for a reason so there's no way we can be sure his interviewing wasn't part of the problem.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I am not sure there was a problem. When you're a guy like Leonhard, that did well with his NFL money and coaching money, and you have made a name for yourself as a coach, you find the right fit for you and your family.