Not convinced they'll suddenly become a '4-3' team. Nickel is more or less the base defense nowadays anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to play it similarly on the front (2 DT, 2 EDGE with a choice of standing up or 3pt., 2 ILBs). The coverage will be different - I think they go more MOFC coverages and throw in a bit more man coverage and maybe even some press. I would expect there to be more pressure dialed up, and there will still be a healthy amount of zone coverage. All NFL defenses play a lot of zone. I don't think he'll line his CBs as far off the LOS compared to Barry or Pettine.

My first response was "who?" and feeling generally underwhelmed, but he has worked with some smart people and I would expect a guy like Saleh to give MLF an honest assessment. He doesn't have the stink of an 0-16 season on him. My impression of BC is that they are basically in the bottom half of the ACC, getting beat by Clemson, FSU, and Louisville, the way Indiana gets beat by Michigan or OSU.

I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp on this one; I suspect he'll be like a slightly better Pettine, which would be an upgrade.

I expect this hire will steer draft strategy a bit -- probably using 5+ total draft picks among CB, S, and LB.