Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll judge this one later.

None of us know this dude so it's silly to bash the heck out of him or pimp him.

Who knows.

Do we have any Boston College fans ? Guesssing plenty of NCAA coaches may try to move to NFL with all this NIL crap
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'll judge this one later.

None of us know this dude so it's silly to bash the heck out of him or pimp him.

Who knows.

Do we have any Boston College fans ? Guesssing plenty of NCAA coaches may try to move to NFL with all this NIL crap
    Sounds like that was part of his reasoning.

Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel

Hafley's reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL’s most respected franchises.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Sounds like that was part of his reasoning.

Pete Thamel
    @PeteThamel

Hafley's reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL’s most respected franchises.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

LOL; nailed it again......haha
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    LB/DL coaches turned defensive coordinators tend to be the dull cover-2/cover-3 types. DB coaches turned dcs tend to be the exotic blitzing types.

Like y’all, I ain’t got a clue who the fuck this guy is, but I am excited that the exotic blitzes, especially from defensive backs, might be retuning. Pack ain’t run exotic blitzes since Capers left town.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 01-31-2024 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Insomnia due to poker losses.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I find it interesting that Hafley runs a 4 man front and that looking back at the 23 draft Van Ness, Wooden and Brooks were all 4 dline guys. Gary was a DE in college.

Should be an easy adjustment for the front and I would expect Clark to excel as a penetrating DT in a 4 man front.
    Last edited by Sparkey; 01-31-2024 at 09:51 PM.

3-4, 4-3, it’s all irrelevant imo, they all have the same concepts and all do the same things. Man, IDK about this one. Very odd IMO. In MILF we trust I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    One thing is for sure, if people didn't like Barry's scheme, they should like this a lot better. Single high safety, more press man, bringing more pressure. The biggest challenge personnel-wise will be finding the centerfielder free safety this scheme requires. I really think this scheme better suits the kind of cornerbacks Gute has drafted. McDuffie played for Hafley at Boston College and could see an increased role.

One thing is for sure, if people didn't like Barry's scheme, they should like this a lot better. Single high safety, more press man, bringing more pressure. The biggest challenge personnel-wise will be finding the centerfielder free safety this scheme requires. I really think this scheme better suits the kind of cornerbacks Gute has drafted. McDuffie played for Hafley at Boston College and could see an increased role.
    I read a good article at ACME on the type of defense he runs; this is it. More press, some zone, and in addition to the all-important centerfieldersafety (we need a Nick Collins, as someone noted), it sounded to me also like we're going to need another inside linebacker or two.

The article made a good point, too, that Bisaccia has been using a lot of safeties for special teams, but Hafley's defenses make use of more corners than safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects special teams.

I wonder what this does to a NT like TJ Slaton? Will he fit in this scheme, or just play less? I don't know how that works. But the guy seems well-schooled in this more-current type of defense, so I am excited for the hire. As Bretsky says, who knows? We'll find out, but I do think the players are going to be more excited in a scheme like this one. Jaire will probably do better, and as you said, maybe Stokes, if he's not physically diminished. So, for the draft: top-end safety to patrol the middle (probably a high draft pick?), another inside linebacker, maybe two, another corner, maybe one earlier, one later?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I read a good article at ACME on the type of defense he runs; this is it. More press, some zone, and in addition to the all-important centerfieldersafety (we need a Nick Collins, as someone noted), it sounded to me also like we're going to need another inside linebacker or two.

The article made a good point, too, that Bisaccia has been using a lot of safeties for special teams, but Hafley's defenses make use of more corners than safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects special teams.

I wonder what this does to a NT like TJ Slaton? Will he fit in this scheme, or just play less? I don't know how that works. But the guy seems well-schooled in this more-current type of defense, so I am excited for the hire. As Bretsky says, who knows? We'll find out, but I do think the players are going to be more excited in a scheme like this one. Jaire will probably do better, and as you said, maybe Stokes, if he's not physically diminished. So, for the draft: top-end safety to patrol the middle (probably a high draft pick?), another inside linebacker, maybe two, another corner, maybe one earlier, one later?

I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle

I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle
    Back when teams played a lot of 4-3 base, Walker would have been a classic WILL. Not sure if Hafley employs much base at all. But I agree he can be very explosive in this defense if utilized the right way.

Gute was talking about versatile players and he mentioned quay and then made a comment about him being special or something of that nature. I think Gute thinks there is more to Quay than having him responsible for a zone and reading run off that. The way I read the versatility part is that he can be used as more of a pass rusher who’s aggressive down hill. Because versatile indicates more than just one position and he’s only been used as a traditional linebacker so far. With very few downhill attacks on lineman as a pass rusher.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Agreed.

Let the kid cut it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    You had me at "The anti-Joe Barry".

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

FWIW, LaFleur and Hafley aren’t close friends as some have reported. He knows Hafley through his brother, Robert Saleh and Kyle Shanahan, all of whom worked with Hafley. They knew each other but weren’t ever on the same staff or guys who spoke often.

I think that safety is already on the roster. I at least think he'll be given a shot at it. I suppose they will draft one too since the current guy did not turn into anything to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think that safety is already on the roster. I at least think he'll be given a shot at it. I suppose they will draft one too since the current guy did not turn into anything to write home about.
    Who? They only have one safety under contract for 2024. And that's the rookie, Anthony Johnson Jr.

Who? They only have one safety under contract for 2024. And that's the rookie, Anthony Johnson Jr.
    Savage (I know he's a FA)