Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think we have only Johnson on the roster....and some UDFA guy. Is that who you are referring to??

edit: NM, cleared up before I posted this. No, Savage is not a centerfielder.
    Not to be a fact checker or anything - I hate those things hahahaha, but there actually are (or very recently were) two Johnsons, both first name Anthony - #36 the Safety from Iowa State, and #40 a Corner from Virginia. There's also the UDFA LB you mentioned that we apparently just picked up, first name Deandre.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The more I think about it, the more I think I like this. I say think since I have no idea about this dude, but on paper, it sounds like a really great fit. He blitz a lot, which I like. He plays press more than just about anyone, which I like.

Most importantly, it sounds like players are going to not have to think as much and just play. I like that a lot. Players will love playing aggressively for this dude and manning up. Nobody likes zone.

Press man gets eaten alive with rub routes. No one runs press man anymore.

If there are two WRs on one side, I’ll see one guy press and the other off. But pure press man. Offfenses have proven they eat it alive and it’s the worst coverage in football.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Yeah, press man is only even a little bit good if you assume Jaire is back to where he was a few years ago.

Unless you have a truly super shut down Corner, preferably two of them, what seems to work best is what we did the last few weeks of the season, zone D with 2 or 3 deep Safetys.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    You had me at "The anti-Joe Barry".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    It will be interesting to see who he ends with for assistants. Sounds like a few of the current guys have worked with him.
    Last time GB hired a DC they kept all of their assistants. Some wonder if this was at direction from the Flower

It would not surprise me if they bring everybody back again

I'd prefer fresh blood
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I read a good article at ACME on the type of defense he runs; this is it. More press, some zone, and in addition to the all-important centerfieldersafety (we need a Nick Collins, as someone noted), it sounded to me also like we're going to need another inside linebacker or two.

The article made a good point, too, that Bisaccia has been using a lot of safeties for special teams, but Hafley's defenses make use of more corners than safeties, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects special teams.

I wonder what this does to a NT like TJ Slaton? Will he fit in this scheme, or just play less? I don't know how that works. But the guy seems well-schooled in this more-current type of defense, so I am excited for the hire. As Bretsky says, who knows? We'll find out, but I do think the players are going to be more excited in a scheme like this one. Jaire will probably do better, and as you said, maybe Stokes, if he's not physically diminished. So, for the draft: top-end safety to patrol the middle (probably a high draft pick?), another inside linebacker, maybe two, another corner, maybe one earlier, one later?

I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Isaiah McDuffie played for him at BC and was second team all conference his senior year

Last edited by red; 02-01-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I think QUAY WALKER coudl kill it in this scheme if they let him roam the middle
    Back when teams played a lot of 4-3 base, Walker would have been a classic WILL. Not sure if Hafley employs much base at all. But I agree he can be very explosive in this defense if utilized the right way.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Gute was talking about versatile players and he mentioned quay and then made a comment about him being special or something of that nature. I think Gute thinks there is more to Quay than having him responsible for a zone and reading run off that. The way I read the versatility part is that he can be used as more of a pass rusher who’s aggressive down hill. Because versatile indicates more than just one position and he’s only been used as a traditional linebacker so far. With very few downhill attacks on lineman as a pass rusher.

Quay is my avatar because he’s the baddest player we’ve had on defense since I don’t even know who. Maybe Wayne Simmons.

Quay is very much the same body type and athletic profile as Micah Parsons. I’ve seen guys similar athletes suck at pass rushing though, so it’s certainly not saying he’s anywhere near Parsons. There is a feel and an art to beating blocks. But you should at least try. He’s a rare athlete. See what he can do.

Quay does seem like an aggressive and quick guy. Seems like he'd be good blitzing. Maybe it it's less read-and-react and more attack, Quay Walker will flourish.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I absolutely hated the Barry hire when it was announced. It's on the record from the Barry hired thread. On this hire, I actually am on board with this one. The more I learn about this guy, it seems like it could be a real good fit.

Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    With this new DC and his exotic blitzes, Packers have gotta re-sign Nixon. Dude ain’t Wood as nickelback, but he sure as fuck ain’t a liability in coverage like Hyde and Sullivan, either. Plus, Nixion’s speed and willingness to tackle would be positives in the scheme.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, former high school shutdown corner who shut down Darren Charles in a game.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    With this new DC and his exotic blitzes, Packers have gotta re-sign Nixon. Dude ain’t Wood as nickelback, but he sure as fuck ain’t a liability in coverage like Hyde and Sullivan, either. Plus, Nixion’s speed and willingness to tackle would be positives in the scheme.

Source: Me, Tank Elf Duke, former high school shutdown corner who shut down Darren Charles in a game.
    They need to draft Cooper DeJean and tell Nixon thanks for the memories.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They need to draft Cooper DeJean and tell Nixon thanks for the memories.
    Recall how every time opponents needed to move the chains, they simply threw at Hyde and Sullivan? Sure, Nixon allowed his share of completions. But not with the same fuck up frequencies as Hyde and Sullivan. Nixon would make a good blitzer, I reckon.

DeJean? Ain’t he a character in Les Miserables? I haven’t started prepping for the 2024 “Mastery Mockery of a Draft” yet.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Quay might end up as the strong side OLB in this scheme. Or maybe Preston can play that position. I would have been concerned years ago, but schemes kind of blend together now. This guy has a background in multiple types of Ds so I suspect he can and better be able to adjust to his on field talent. The most important factor imo is playing aggressive on 3rd downs. No more lining up in a way where we concede most of the yards and then pray we can make a tackle. Or playing the theory we have for a decade of hoping the other teams O makes a mistake before they march all the way down the field. Todays offenses are too good for that theory. You need to dictate the game to them.
    For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    For those of you Rats who, unlike me, actually pay attention to the details and schemes and players and know a little bit (again, unlike me), I have a question: from what you've seen of the rookie safety seventh-rounder, Anthony Johnson (I think that's the name), does he "fit" at either of the safety positions in this new scheme? As a former corner, I would think maybe he would, but like I said, I know very little.
    I would think he's best suited at either strong safety or slot corner. He has corner coverage skills and a willingness to hit. I'm not sure he's been asked to play single high safety either at Iowa St. or Green Bay, so hard to say if he could do it. Pretty good writeup on him from last year: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-iowa-...aft-board-2023