Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hafley Packers New DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

As new DC Jeff Hafley builds his staff, two #Packers defensive assistants who will not return are passing game coordinator Greg Williams and inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti a source said. Olivadotti will join the staff of new #Seahawks coach Mike McDonald.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

New #Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley is bringing D-line coach Vince Oghobasse with him from Boston College, a source said. Oghobasse coached with Hafley with the #49ers and also spent time at Ohio State and UCLA. Oghobasse will replace D-line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

Pretty big coup for #Packers coach Matt LaFleur and DC Jeff Hafley. They are expected to hire former #Dolphins LBs coach Anthony Campanile, a source said. The #Giants had interviewed Campanile for their DC job and the #Eagles wanted him as a linebackers coach, the source said.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein

Pretty big coup for #Packers coach Matt LaFleur and DC Jeff Hafley. They are expected to hire former #Dolphins LBs coach Anthony Campanile, a source said. The #Giants had interviewed Campanile for their DC job and the #Eagles wanted him as a linebackers coach, the source said.
    Damn! This one's a great hire! Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur are dialed in on strengthening this team top to bottom. Campanile is the kind of guy who can turn Quay Walker into a star. He was rumored to be a possible candidate for our DC position, and an early possibility to replace Hafley at BC. He's a young, very passionate coach with a good track record everywhere he goes, and I think our defense just got significantly better.

That Mannion hire the other day is a brilliant move, too - a longterm investment in a very exciting new coach. I can't believe that one's completely slipped under the radar here, except for your mention of it the day it happened. I was tempted to start a thread, but I'm too new here so I didn't. I think he has a hell of a future, and he's getting a lot of buzz on some other forums.

Hiring Oghobaase was something I found interesting. Lafleur must have a ton of confidence in Hafley, because he's completely invested in him now. I'm a little skeptical of Hafley, to be honest, because BC's defense was terrible under his reign, and I'm not exacly doing backflips at the idea of Hafley bringing over one of the key coaches from that defense, but I'm just going to trust Lafleur and Gute to know what they're doing. A lot of Lafleur's coaching hires have been mediocre at best, and some downright awful, so I'm a little nervous. But maybe he's learned from his early mistakes, and developed a better eye for coaching talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Damn! This one's a great hire! Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur are dialed in on strengthening this team top to bottom. Campanile is the kind of guy who can turn Quay Walker into a star. He was rumored to be a possible candidate for our DC position, and an early possibility to replace Hafley at BC. He's a young, very passionate coach with a good track record everywhere he goes, and I think our defense just got significantly better.

That Mannion hire the other day is a brilliant move, too - a longterm investment in a very exciting new coach. I can't believe that one's completely slipped under the radar here, except for your mention of it the day it happened. I was tempted to start a thread, but I'm too new here so I didn't. I think he has a hell of a future, and he's getting a lot of buzz on some other forums.

Hiring Oghobaase was something I found interesting. Lafleur must have a ton of confidence in Hafley, because he's completely invested in him now. I'm a little skeptical of Hafley, to be honest, because BC's defense was terrible under his reign, and I'm not exacly doing backflips at the idea of Hafley bringing over one of the key coaches from that defense, but I'm just going to trust Lafleur and Gute to know what they're doing. A lot of Lafleur's coaching hires have been mediocre at best, and some downright awful, so I'm a little nervous. But maybe he's learned from his early mistakes, and developed a better eye for coaching talent.
    Hafley coached with Oghobaase with the 49ers. Hafley won't be trying to recreate what he did at Boston College which is always on the lower rung of the ACC. He'll be trying to create his version of what the 49ers had with Saleh.

Hafley coached with Oghobaase with the 49ers. Hafley won't be trying to recreate what he did at Boston College which is always on the lower rung of the ACC. He'll be trying to create his version of what the 49ers had with Saleh.
    That's a good take on it, and there's no reason to doubt you're right. It's an optimistric take, but not a reach. Very reasonable expectation.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Hafley, but I'm going to have some reservations right up until we start seeing how well the defense comes together and performs. Best case scenario is that Hafley is a defensive guru who's just not head coach material, got "peter principled" one level too high, and was too overwhelmed with head coaching responsibilities to have any substantive impact on the defense. Because there wasn't much to like about that BC defense the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Why so enthusiastic about the Mannion hire? He doesn't have a day of coaching experience. I find the hire interesting, because LaFleur knows him and is willing to give him this opportunity. I see it much like the "coaching intern" opportunities we have seen former players get as their introductions to coaching. Some turn out well and go on to accomplished coaching careers. Some others never advance, and disappear from the coaching ranks. Still others try it for a few years, decide coaching is not for them and go on to other things, even if they were good coaches.

I look at this more as something for Mannion's benefit than the Packers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Why so enthusiastic about the Mannion hire? He doesn't have a day of coaching experience. I find the hire interesting, because LaFleur knows him and is willing to give him this opportunity. I see it much like the "coaching intern" opportunities we have seen former players get as their introductions to coaching. Some turn out well and go on to accomplished coaching careers. Some others never advance, and disappear from the coaching ranks. Still others try it for a few years, decide coaching is not for them and go on to other things, even if they were good coaches.

agree

At this point he was a WHC fire for me.

I think the coach they got from Miami has been their most impressive hire for the position they got him at. He was wanted by Phily and others.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Certainly a fair question. Actually, I've known a few things about Mannion and sorta paid attention to him periodically for quite some time. And what I've learned over the years is that this is a very interesting kind of guy.

I lived in the Twin Cities most of my adult life (we really need a "vomit" emoji here for confessions such as that). Even after escaping, I still kept up on a lot of the news there, and I've seen a few stories about Mannion.

First, he's not some stereotypical journeyman player who's just trying to hang around the league because he doesn't know anything else. His Wonderlic was 40, which roughly corresponds to an IQ of around 140 - that's "near-genius" level. After graduating and being drafted by the Rams, he completed an interdisciplinary master's degree in political science, history, and sociology, with an eye toward becoming a college professor after retiring from football. He pulled a 3.7 GPA while completing the master's, while on an NFL roster. This is a very intelligent guy, and there's no limit to the things he could do with his life outside of football.

When he was with Minnesota in 2019, Mike Zimmer raved about how smart he was and how well he understood the game, often saying that having him in the QB room was like having another coach. Kirk Cousins, who is 4 years older than Mannion, said a number of times that Mannion helped him a great deal, and credited Mannion with helping him become a more consistent quarterback. Cousins thought very highly of him.

Coaches in Seattle said the same thing, and counted on him to be a mentor to Geno Smith and Drew Lock. Seahawks GM said that having him on the practice squad was like having a second quarterback coach, and said that the coaching staff considered him a peer. He also said Mannion is probably a future head coach if he decides to take that path.

He's apparetntly been on Lafleur's mind ever since 2017, when Matt was offensive coordinator for the Rams. Everywhere the Mannion's been, all the way back to high school, coaches and teammates have been impressed with his intelligence, his leadership, and his teaching skills. He's the only 3-year captain in the history of the Oregon State football program, having been voted in by his teammates every year from sophomore on.

I'm convinced this is a very good hire. He'll apparently be part of a 3-man coaching group, working all season under and with both QB coach Tom Clemens and WR coach/passing game coordinator Jason Vrable to help Jordan Love and the receivers. Lafleur said Clemens is coming back in 24 for one more year, but there is no guarantee he'll be back in 25. I think he expects Mannion to replace Clements when he does finally leave, and I think he has good reason to be confident in that. I believe this was a very smart move by Lafleur and Gutekunst.

Edit: Oh, and a bonus - a number of Vikings fans are majorly, majorly pissed that he came to work for us. Many of them have been clamoring for years already that the Vikings should just offer him a coaching job and ask him to retire as a player, and apparently quite a lot of them just assumed that when he did retire, he'd coach for them. Some of them are throwing tantrums and others are crying like babies.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra; 02-08-2024 at 06:42 PM.

So we get theirs and they get Joe Barry? Sounds good to me hahahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Did ANYBODY ever bother to nickname him “Long Tall” Saleh??

Looks like the Packers need to draft an inside linebacker or two. Also, I wonder how Rashan Gary and Lukas Van Ness feel about going back to a hand-in-the-dirt position?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    I'm keeping an open mind on the new DC; it was a great move for him because he was a sitting duck at BC who was on a fast track to getting fired IMO

On paper I'm very underwhelmed with the hire. That is using logic.

But I can drink the spike Kool Aide as well

Time will tell
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Rob Demovsky
    @RobDemovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.

Rob Demovsky
    @RobDemovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.
    Interesting. He fast tracked to DC. Hafley specializing in defensive backs, kind of surprised his prize coaching hire has a similar background. That’s good though. It’s not going to hurt Hafley to be able to really focus on playcalling and strategy, especially during the season. And when teaching the assignments, it’s not going to hurt to have two guys with different angles of how they teach. Everyone learns differently.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Interesting. He fast tracked to DC. Hafley specializing in defensive backs, kind of surprised his prize coaching hire has a similar background. That’s good though. It’s not going to hurt Hafley to be able to really focus on playcalling and strategy, especially during the season. And when teaching the assignments, it’s not going to hurt to have two guys with different angles of how they teach. Everyone learns differently.
    Defensive pass game coordinators usually have a background of coaching defensive backs. Run game coordinators defensive line or linebackers. So no surprise there.

Funny how these guys get passed around like hoes at a party.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1755255118289858673

If Rex Ryan really is open to a DC spot, it is gross negligence to not talk to him. I guess we don't know if he did, but c'mon, this is crazy to not hire that guy based on his track record of success.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post

If Rex Ryan really is open to a DC spot, it is gross negligence to not talk to him. I guess we don't know if he did, but c'mon, this is crazy to not hire that guy based on his track record of success.
    Ryan has his agent float his name out there every year, primarily as a HC. Maybe he's changed his tune and is willing to consider a record setting salary as a DC.
    Personally, I'd think the hours and longevity are better on TV. He's a brilliant defensive guy but he wears out his welcome pretty fast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post

I don't think the Flower wanted a strong personaity as his defensive coordinator. Hopefully this guy works out.

From the sounds of it, GB did not attempt to reach out to Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy this round

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't think the Flower wanted a strong personaity as his defensive coordinator. Hopefully this guy works out.

From the sounds of it, GB did not attempt to reach out to Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy this round
    As we all know, JL is now in Denver running their secondary. Means I am going to have to spend more time in Denver and gets some Bronco gear. I do know that JL did not want to return to College football. Obviously the landscaper of the once greatest sport on the planet is changing for the worse, and college coaches are bailing for the NFL. At least NFL players sign contracts and can't just get up and leave after 6 months when some other team offers them more money.