Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
I was going to start this thread, but you beat me to it. I'll go on record, right from the start, as not liking this hire. MLF chose experience over results and teaching ability. This guy stunk at BC last year (worse than Barry before being hired by MLF). BC was worse against the pass than Barry's defense ever was against the run. I get that the Baltimore DB coach may well be the Baltimore DC now, but the Denver DB coach sounded good. And to top it off, we will have 3-4 personnel trying to run a 4-3. The defense will be a bigger problem next year than it was this year. They will need to have the next two drafts be near perfect and heavy on defense to make it work. Our only hope is Love and the receiving corps being like the StL Rams flying circus.
I'm glad to see someone else who's not looking at Hafley through green and gold colored glasses. I won't make the dire predictions you are, because we just don't have any way of knowing how it's going to work out. But I totally agree that Hafley got a ton of criticism for his coaching at BC, and there was a growing dissatisfaction with him. Word in Beantown was that his job was in jeopardy after starting 1-3 this past season, but they turned it around and ran up a winning streak before collapsing again in the last 3rd of the season. There are a lot of people there who are delighted to get rid of him, and that's rarely a good sign.

This is all not to even mention: why does Green Bay want this guy? His defenses at BC were not exactly stellar. The Eagles could hardly generate any pass rush this year, despite having preseason all-ACC defensive end Donovan Ezeiruaku. The Eagles got blown out of the water multiple times this season, including a game against Louisville in which they gave up 42 points in the first half. His teams were constantly undisciplined and committed countless penalties. And he didn’t really develop any significant talent on the defensive side of the ball.
https://www.bcinterruption.com/2024/...en-bay-packers

So.... the jury's out. Matt hire dhim, so we have to give him some time and space to do his job, but there isn't aything about this guy that strongly suggests he's someone who can come in and save a failing defense.