Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Jeff Hafley Thread

First time he blitzes and it doesn't get home and the other team scores on a long TD pass, I'll be screaming for his head!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Asshole, every job you ever got was probably a friend or family connection.
    I wish this to be true; but the only job my parents ever helped me with was one I took at age 15 as a dishwasher, and then cook at a restaurant
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I was going to start this thread, but you beat me to it. I'll go on record, right from the start, as not liking this hire. MLF chose experience over results and teaching ability. This guy stunk at BC last year (worse than Barry before being hired by MLF). BC was worse against the pass than Barry's defense ever was against the run. I get that the Baltimore DB coach may well be the Baltimore DC now, but the Denver DB coach sounded good. And to top it off, we will have 3-4 personnel trying to run a 4-3. The defense will be a bigger problem next year than it was this year. They will need to have the next two drafts be near perfect and heavy on defense to make it work. Our only hope is Love and the receiving corps being like the StL Rams flying circus.
    I'm glad to see someone else who's not looking at Hafley through green and gold colored glasses. I won't make the dire predictions you are, because we just don't have any way of knowing how it's going to work out. But I totally agree that Hafley got a ton of criticism for his coaching at BC, and there was a growing dissatisfaction with him. Word in Beantown was that his job was in jeopardy after starting 1-3 this past season, but they turned it around and ran up a winning streak before collapsing again in the last 3rd of the season. There are a lot of people there who are delighted to get rid of him, and that's rarely a good sign.

This is all not to even mention: why does Green Bay want this guy? His defenses at BC were not exactly stellar. The Eagles could hardly generate any pass rush this year, despite having preseason all-ACC defensive end Donovan Ezeiruaku. The Eagles got blown out of the water multiple times this season, including a game against Louisville in which they gave up 42 points in the first half. His teams were constantly undisciplined and committed countless penalties. And he didn’t really develop any significant talent on the defensive side of the ball.
    https://www.bcinterruption.com/2024/...en-bay-packers

So.... the jury's out. Matt hire dhim, so we have to give him some time and space to do his job, but there isn't aything about this guy that strongly suggests he's someone who can come in and save a failing defense.

Let me be early. The defense has the talent to allow this guy to succeed with the overall team we have and hes in perfect position for us to lose him to a head coaching hire in2-3 years and Love and Gute will have been mainly accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by australianpackerbacker View Post
    Let me be early. The defense has the talent to allow this guy to succeed with the overall team we have and hes in perfect position for us to lose him to a head coaching hire in2-3 years and Love and Gute will have been mainly accountable.
    And that's another way of looking at it - every bit as valid.

One thing I find encouraging as I go over his history is that in his postings as defensive position coaches, and as the Ohio defensive coordinator, he produced great results and is well-spoken of. It looks like maybe head coach of an entire college program might have just been a bridge too far for him. If that's the case, then we may be fortunate in being the team where he settles back down into his natural level of abilities.

Yeah you're right. What I loved about Mike McCarthy was his ability to have a decent pulse of the football team and manage the players and the responsibility of keeping everyone on the same page whilst still calling plays and being able to deal with rodgers-ball.. it's tough and it's mainly why belichick is out of work..

That's what I like about lafluer in the sense he's a younger sharper version of that model and the guy we just hired seems to gel with that type of philosophy.

Another things is, with all this massive NIL wealth that's suddenly available to good college athletes, plus this "transfer portal" madness that he destroyed college football, it's extremely difficult for the coach anything short of a Top 25 team or so to have any real success anymore. I thonk a lpot of college head coaches from the "little sister" D1 universities are going to be trying to do what he did in the years to come - get back to a football league where football is the focus.

In fact, just as I was typing that, I remembered a couple of days ago when a friend of Hafley's was explaining why he though Hafley made the move, and I googled it.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told Thamel. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore.”
    So there ya go. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall, and realizes college football is just going to be too difficult to successfully coach going forward.

Regarding the NIL (why we're discussing it in here I don't know hahahaha), I suspect a lot of that sort of thing was going on under the table all along, especially with teams like Ohio State and Alabama and a few others. Making it legal maybe will sort of give others as much chance as the cheaters.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Yeah I totally get what you're saying. Competition in college sucks but it's a product of capitalism and talent conglomeration to where other talent like itself can be found. College from my perspective of how I waste my time in life isn't worth my attention because the complexities of why it is the way it is revolves around concepts like education and history and so much more that the commitment nfl doesn't involve.

In saying that the person who wins the most this cycle is Deion prime time. Transfer came at a convenient time for the most hyped coach in college ball possibly ever.

Good that he has commitment to the league. All the pieces are in place from my perspective

It only matters because the idea that players could make enough to tell the league to fuck off, potentially would. Mostly all decisions are business decisions

Quoting Tex, not working atm

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Regarding the NIL (why we're discussing it in here I don't know hahahaha)....
    Sorry; thought the progression of the conversation was clear. We were speculating on why a college head coach making roughly $4,000,000 a year would quit his job to take a position of much lesser importance and authority that pays roughly 10% of that. And this is one of the circumstances that might factor into such a decision.

I don't care so much about the NIL portion ruining college football. My BIGGEST worry with CFB is the seemingly unlimited transfer portal. THAT is what's killing the sport.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    I don't care so much about the NIL portion ruining college football. My BIGGEST worry with CFB is the seemingly unlimited transfer portal. THAT is what's killing the sport.
    That is only accelerating with the NIL. Hey, if you transfer to college X we will give you $250,000 in NIL deals.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

It's always been crooked, college football. Does anyone really think Nebraska was a powerhouse in the early 70's without somehow getting kids to come out to the cornfields? Does anybody think Schembecler and Hayes recruited based on their sunny personalities? Or that the powerhouse Miami teams from, what, the 80's, were just nicely coached?

It's just that now it's more open and the players get to benefit. But the rich keep getting richer, as do the cheaters. My own alma mater no exception.

Thus I can see why someone like Haf-assley wanted out. All your time kowtowing to fifteen year old kids, having overnights with them, pretending you understand them and their unique problems, promising moms and dads you'll take care of junior like he was your own son, then going into the transfer portal to try to nab a kid from another program to replace the one you last year told mom and dad was a key piece of your puzzle.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Yeah, Fritz, that's what I was saying above - throw Urban Meyer in there too. I disagree, though, with the people saying college football is being ruined. It's alive and well IMO, and better because the transfer portal and NIL are making more parity or at least spreading around the winning to some extent. All I really care about college-wise is the Badgers, and they seem to be benefiting from transfers and probably NIL too. Probably fans of a lot of other teams are thinking the same.

As for Hafley, I don't know why he jumped to the Packers, maybe all the non-football crap of a college head coaching job, maybe one of many other possible reasons. My guess would be that he wanted to move to the highest level - the NFL, and at some point, if he is any good, we'll lose him to a NFL head coaching job. Ironic that you're stuck with the guys who are mediocre but lose successes move on and up. I think that's what they call the "Peter Principle" - rising to a person's level of incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That is only accelerating with the NIL. Hey, if you transfer to college X we will give you $250,000 in NIL deals.
    Yeah NIL and transfer portal has turned CFB into a mess. Not necessarily the concept, but the implementation. It more of less allows legal tampering and benefits that got a lot of football players and programs pilloried in years past.

It's bad on coaches, they play all season to win, get a bowl game, and their best players sit out for the draft or transfer after the game to another U. They have to recruit nonstop, fund raise for NIL, and do a lot of other glad handing that is marginally football related at best.
    There literally is no break for coaches in CFB anymore, and they are starting to look at the pros with envy, which is interesting considering the in-season hours NFL coaches put in. At least they get time off though.

Conference realignments (e.g., the death of the PAC12 and probably the ACC) are also doing no favors. Right now a lot of people think CFB is broken and a significant number of coaches want out.

Imagine if in the NFL there was no salary cap, no revenue sharing and all the players were signed to 1 year contracts. That's pretty much what you have in CFB.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

But who's getting out of college coaching? Maybe the longtime cheats? Saban? Harbaugh? Legalizing what they probably got away with arguably is a good thing. I probably would not put Hafley in that crowd, though.

I actually really like the Hafley pick... Barry was losing the locker room. .... We'll see what Hafley can do. This is a very talented roster.

Love him picking up the safety from the Giants. That spot has been a head ache since Collins went down it seems....

no. I forgot we had Amos for a few years. Real excited about this guy's coaching philosophy to be honest.

..... Reminds me that I was big on the MLF pick a few years ago. Gives me the same hope, actually more even.

This is the fire Hafley thread. Stop with all the positivity already.