I would not touch a RB before R3. I think they'll be looking at S, OL and maybe even a CB they can play in the slot before they take a RB. There isn't a Bijon in this draft, but there are Day 3 guys who can back up Jones.
Ray Davis, Jawhar Jordan, Marshawn Lloyd, hell maybe even Daijun Edwards. Trey Benson might be a nice get but he'll be Day 2. I would expect them to let Dillon and Taylor walk and draft 2 if not 3 RBs to compete with Wilson for spots.

Dillon is a great guy and he's not bad, but he's not a RB1 and there is no reason to bring him back if you're keeping Jones. It's like the Jones vs. Jamaal thing: you only need to keep one and bring in new guys. Having RBs on 4 year cheap deals is big for the cap, especially if they can play well.
Saquon would be a nice get in theory but he'll cost too much and he's had a ton of injuries. 2y/$22M? Pass.

The whole 'competition' thing isn't really new, but I think with what happened this year and the number of picks they will have I suspect there is a little more to it.
I would love to know if the comment is aimed at specific players (Rasheed, Rhyan) who had to platoon some... imagine giving Gute and the coaches truth serum and finding out know why the coaches did that and what they think of their roster now.

I don't expect them to be buyers in FA... not significant ones, anyway. They'll have to move money around as it is, and FA would force them to move even more, which Ball doesn't want to do. Understandibly. Love is gonna get paid in May.