Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
I didn’t know the math, but exactly. You’d rather a guy trigger on time than run .1 seconds faster in a 40. But if you’re going to play single high man more than just a few surprise times a game, you’re going to need a guy who’s 4.44 or faster AND triggers on time. And really, at any given point there are between zero to three of those guys in the world so it’s really not something you see much of in the NFL. Ed Reed, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas are a few of the recent ones. Don’t know if there’s anyone in the league now who can do it reliably enough to be able to play that coverage. So it’s a bit of a pipe dream that we’re going to be the most aggressive defense in the NFL and not get chewed up for it.

But Kam Kinchens has a profile where maybe he could be the next one. Odds are slim, but he seems like a maybe it’s possible prospect.

Gotta have really fast corners too. And we have that. So it’s finding the unicorn at free safety and the dream could come true.
I agree with you on most points you made here (add Troy Polomalou if I spelled it even close).

I don't get too into draft research, but kinchens name has popped up a few times and he does seem to fit the bill based on what I have read. But one thing you miss. You don't need to have THE BEST guy at playing that role. You can have a guy who is "merely good" and be successful if you generate pressure. If you have good coverage. All defenses are based on not having breakdowns and doing enough things well that the other team can't find success. You can stop the pass with great coverage OR getting to the QB. Or you can be really good at both. You can't suck at either one.