Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Gute presser

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Somewhat fair. I was probably grumpy. I'm partly sorry Dan, but Tex didn't elevate to name calling, he made a valid point and I thought the instant name calling was beneath you. If tex did it in reverse I guess i would ignore it because its not beneath him.
    Uh, thanks I guess hahahahaha. Did somebody namecall me? I didn't even notice.

I had to go way back to the previous page to see what you were talking about. It was RG who was his victim of one of the "usual suspects", although I did strongly agree with RG.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Somewhat fair. I was probably grumpy. I'm partly sorry Dan, but Tex didn't elevate to name calling, he made a valid point and I thought the instant name calling was beneath you. If tex did it in reverse I guess i would ignore it because its not beneath him.
    Wow, I post and then get busy and when I get back a shit storm has occurred.

I was name calling RashanGary not Tex.

I think I was really just stating a fact. I was trying not to make a moral equivalence between drug dealers and hack "media".

I also agree with Fritz that I was being simplistic in my opinion. Yes, people try to increase demand by advertising/marketing or in the case of scumbags making their product addictive.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I also agree with Fritz that I was being simplistic in my opinion. Yes, people try to increase demand by advertising/marketing or in the case of scumbags making their product addictive.

There are infinitely more ways advertising/marketing can be harmful and lacking in integrity than pushing an addictive and harmful product. It’s simply the one I chose to highlight because without a doubt, a large part of society agree that it’s immoral to harm people to get money. Laws against drug dealing and laws against cigarette companies misleading the public are examples of public agreement that marketing/advertising (when they cause harm) are socially unacceptable behaviors to the majority of our population.

Once we agree that not all marketing/advertising is respectable, we can now talk about the harms of “hack” journalism. And the stance I have on this diverges from what I see as the more common public view that “they’re just trying to get clicks and it’s not that bad,” so “just ignore them.”

Maybe if it was your daughter being harassed on social media and not Joe Barry’s, maybe if it was you getting fired from a general manager position and your family losing the security that job provided because an owner is pressured by public sentiment, maybe if you experienced things like this, you would have a different view of how media, with a large reach, can bring harm to people’s lives.

So where do we draw the line? Is a journalist responsible for knowing the public will take things too far? We’ve established that it’s not the public’s fault they smoke cigarette when advertising misleads them. The public is naturally going to trust. I argue the public is also naturally going to hate. And that hate causes harm (death threats, outrage that costs families security, etc)

So my argument is ethics do apply to shaping public opinion with the large reach sports media has. I argue that that a lot of journalism is disgusting in it’s disregard toward the people it’s affecting.

And what is a “Hack” journalist? Who are they? They work at ESPN, CBS, FOX, Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, and many other mainstream outlets.

Society doesn’t see this the way I do, and your response to my uncommon stance is that I’m “thick” or “dense” or whatever word you chose to use. Just remember that the late 1930s, early 1940’s German public would have said the same thing about me if I challenged the morals of their trusted fuhrer. Digging your heels in and getting stubborn about your view might say more about your thickness and density than it does about mine. Puff on that smoke for a moment, while you contemplate life and all its meaning.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It’s time for you to calm down RG. You ain’t the only person with problems. If I have to read through your loony rant post and find shit like the Germany bullshit you will get shutdown until next season maybe longer. Then you will have to use another account and pretend to be someone else normal until you can’t then I blast that account.

Stop your crazy bullshit. And if there are other post you already made with this shit you better edit them before I read them and I will read them and count as another violation.

So how about Guter already checking out them linebackers at the senor bowl!

And what will our 260-lb Nigerian player exception/futures guy Kenneth whatever do for a position next year?? Could he be a middle linebacker? Too light to be a DE now?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack