Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gute presser

Gute presser

Team and coaches resilient.

Excited to build around Love

Most excited that love was steady through it all

Got better because Love and teammates got reps

Once they stopped working on results and just focused on getting better each day, it got better.

Going to start on love contract In a couple months.

Credit to players and coaches for sticking together and offense playing best at end

Proud of backups who stepped up

Proud of jaire and doesn’t want to trade.

Thought about a kicker at end of season. There wasn’t much out there. Expected Carlson to have these bumps and is going to give him a chance.

Expects Aaron Jones back. He’s a difference maker and the heartbeat of team

David has a long way to go and will work through if he comes back when the time comes.

Said wants Jaire and Jones back and “we’ll see” on Bakh

Moments defense was really good but there’s much more out there. Had problems in the back end. Going to be moving pieces.

Excited about Half-Assley

It’s a 4-2-5 league. Will be similar that way. Figuring out exactly how the pieces will fit.

He’s very well respected. Loves the HC background on half-assley

Bakh in middle of recovery. It’s going to take time. He has a great work ethic.

Doesn’t feel ahead of schedule because he always expects to be great. Doesn’t have expectations like that because doesn’t want to limit team.

Glad to see guys handle adversity

Had a lot of guys play early. Big thing is that just because they had success in year 1 their spots not safe. It’s going to be competitive

The your job is not safe thing is funny. 12 found that out. So did 4. He said it like a threat, haha

Felt should have won divisional game. Felt culture shift in how things came together.

Cap in good shape. Can add

Depends on player if he’ll dip in. An impact player will be added if he’s there. It’s aboht winning.

Process driven. Wants to focus on process and as you do things that way, things come together. Whole building is process driven.

you can hear the coaches son in Gute

Knew Jordan was the guy in 2019. Laughs. Gives the credit to Jordan on getting better every year and handling adversity.

Love has more potential. He has a very high upside. Said new quarterbacks can play well, but it evolves eventually to playing well and winning and he did that quickly. Said the handling responsibilities at the line is the part guys need to get better at for the winning to start happening

I liked that when he said young quarterbacks start out playing well but losing and it’s a process to play well and win. You can play well individually but if the tempo is clutsy because you’re a clutz running the show, the rest of the team doesn’t play well and you lose despite your good play

Knew there would be small victories with young players and even when they were losing saw the signs. Credit to coaches to just keep pushing process knowing the results would come.

Just coincidence that they started playing well when Rasul left.

Thinks being young is a positive not a negative. He’s a ted disciple. Hated the young team excuse. Said you should win young. No excuse.

Competition accelerates growth. When they have to compete to play they work harder.

More draft picks near the top than usual. Ammo to move, get a vet, better cap situation, ability to help the team with all the ammo.

Doesn’t mind the flack. Ted told him when he took the job it’s a lot of criticism. Ted said, “are you sure you want this?” Gute is going to do what’s best and the criticism is part of it. He’s ok with taking that flack. He knew it was coming. His dad was a HC he’s seen this his whole life.

been around football as coaches son his whole life. Been on team for a long time. Ready for criticism and he’s good with it

Credit to Rasheed. Tremendous improvement in offseason. Going to add completion. But he has a bright future and he’s only getting better

Will put Tom where ever he’s needed. Trying to get best 5. Doesn’t want to move him from tackle, but if he needs to, they’ll do it.

Tom could move

4-2-5 league. Not a wholesale change. Will get into what Jeff wants to do and there might be conversations for how things fit

Always adds versatile players

Quay a fantastic versatile piece.

reporter asked about new scheme fits. Gute talked about he’s always drafted versatile players so most of our guys already fit. Only player Gute singled out as being fantastic and versatile is Quay

Considers need but knows it always changes. So mostly just takes best players. Wants to add competition even if a room is good.

Players learn how to take care of body and many get better at staying healthy.

Watson impactful. The more he’s out there the better

Gizzi an outstanding coach. Maybe players need a different voice. Players buying in is most important.

Solid draft for safety. Solid FA class for safety. Going to sit down with Jeff. Needs numbers for sure.

Safety, nickle all those positions becoming interchangeable.

It’s better not to push out cap space. Russ doesn’t like doing that. But if we’re going to compete we’re always going to do some of that. After Covid it got worse but it’s getting back to healthy.

Having the young guys do just as well as veterans last year didn’t change his mind on young being good. But organizationally, he thinks a lot of people started to see how youth and competition helps. Competition is the driver. Make these guys have to compete to play and they play their best

Expectation is always to win SB. Work and process.

The things he repeated over and over was PROCESS and competition and no one’s job is safe. Completely different tune with Bakh than with Jones and Jaire.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 02-02-2024 at 06:24 AM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

The first time he said guys played well but their job is not safe was funny. He sounded pissed off and ready to start hacking them down the moment they slip

Gute definitely relishes the bad cop role and lets Flower be the good cop.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    The first time he said guys played well but their job is not safe was funny. He sounded pissed off and ready to start hacking them down the moment they slip

Gute definitely relishes the bad cop role and lets Flower be the good cop.
    And that's as it should be. That works best. Ted was the same.

Would love, love, love to see them snooker the Jest into trading for Bakh. Maybe get a fourth or fifth for him, maybe?

Glad to hear they welcome Jones back though of course they've got to do something with that contract.

Exciting to think they found their left tackle already. Walker improved and improved and will be better next year. Also sounds like they might leave Tom at RT and, maybe, draft a center and/or guard?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Nice synopsis, RG. I appreciate it.

I love that Half-Assley is already in our common vernacular.

Just listened to a podcast with JR Radcliffe, Tom Silverstein and Ryan Wood. Silverstein and Wood agreed that there is no way Bakhtiari is back. Hard to see Campbell or Savage back either. Dillon a maybe.
    https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...s/72446237007/
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think Dillon is worth bringing back at the right price, but Gute should be looking for a replacement in the draft.

I agree about Dillon, but only if he's cheap. And yes, I want a quality speed RB to rotate with Jones.

I'm not so negative on Savage, though. There's a lot I haven't liked about him, but he's our only speedy Safety, and if we are gonna play single high Safety a lot, that's what we need. I've read people say Savage isn't suited for that role. No, that's exactly what he is suited for. These bigger hard hitting Safetys - Owens, Johnson, maybe Ford, the kind of Safety I like to have at least one of on the field - are not fast enough to be that "centerfielder".

Bakhtiari gone, hell yeah. Campbell gone? strongly likely.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I think Dillon is worth bringing back at the right price, but Gute should be looking for a replacement in the draft.
    Yep. They need a better weapon at RB for those times when Aaron Jones is out or needs a break.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yep. They need a better weapon at RB for those times when Aaron Jones is out or needs a break.
    They solve that problem if they draft a replacement for Jones this spring, and that should be a priority anyway. There are a good half-dozen backs out there we should be able to get with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks, and we can develop him this season by having him split time with Aaron, or share snaps with him on 2-back formations. Seems like Lafleur could come up with a few ideas for how to make creative use of 3 quality backs, all with different skill sets.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I agree about Dillon, but only if he's cheap. And yes, I want a quality speed RB to rotate with Jones.

I'm not so negative on Savage, though. There's a lot I haven't liked about him, but he's our only speedy Safety, and if we are gonna play single high Safety a lot, that's what we need. I've read people say Savage isn't suited for that role. No, that's exactly what he is suited for. These bigger hard hitting Safetys - Owens, Johnson, maybe Ford, the kind of Safety I like to have at least one of on the field - are not fast enough to be that "centerfielder".

Bakhtiari gone, hell yeah. Campbell gone? strongly likely.
    A high single safety is basically playing a really big zone. Savage has proven his instincts just aren't that great. Just like playing CF in baseball if you break .7 seconds later on a ball you lose 19 feet of coverage. .35 seconds you lose 8.5 feet. Thats if you run a 4.4 like savage did. So lets say Savage breaks .175 seconds later than a guy running a 4.5. He is 3 feet later getting to the point. Thats a catch. That is missing the angle on a tackle. Savage doesn't have the instincts to play that role like Earl Thomas did.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    They solve that problem if they draft a replacement for Jones this spring, and that should be a priority anyway. There are a good half-dozen backs out there we should be able to get with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks, and we can develop him this season by having him split time with Aaron, or share snaps with him on 2-back formations. Seems like Lafleur could come up with a few ideas for how to make creative use of 3 quality backs, all with different skill sets.
    Welcome to PackerRats. You registered long ago but never posted so now your account has been activated and your post can be seen be all. Let me know if any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    A high single safety is basically playing a really big zone. Savage has proven his instincts just aren't that great. Just like playing CF in baseball if you break .7 seconds later on a ball you lose 19 feet of coverage. .35 seconds you lose 8.5 feet. Thats if you run a 4.4 like savage did. So lets say Savage breaks .175 seconds later than a guy running a 4.5. He is 3 feet later getting to the point. Thats a catch. That is missing the angle on a tackle. Savage doesn't have the instincts to play that role like Earl Thomas did.
    I didn’t know the math, but exactly. You’d rather a guy trigger on time than run .1 seconds faster in a 40. But if you’re going to play single high man more than just a few surprise times a game, you’re going to need a guy who’s 4.44 or faster AND triggers on time. And really, at any given point there are between zero to three of those guys in the world so it’s really not something you see much of in the NFL. Ed Reed, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas are a few of the recent ones. Don’t know if there’s anyone in the league now who can do it reliably enough to be able to play that coverage. So it’s a bit of a pipe dream that we’re going to be the most aggressive defense in the NFL and not get chewed up for it.

But Kam Kinchens has a profile where maybe he could be the next one. Odds are slim, but he seems like a maybe it’s possible prospect.

Gotta have really fast corners too. And we have that. So it’s finding the unicorn at free safety and the dream could come true.

It’s kind of being so elite at both corners and free safety that those three guys do the job of 4.

The likelihood of that happening, although it has a few times (see shields, Tramon and Collins with Wood at nickle)

The odds are like having 3 Reggie white types where you can have 3-man DLs and have an extra defender to do all sorts of stuff no one else in the league can do.

Don’t see a lot of the three guys doing 4 jobs in the NFL. The level is so high, you just can’t find too many who are so good they can make up for a whole extra defender.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I tend to agree with you about Savage, but he is the kind of player you need to play that single high Safety - meaning fast. His instincts, though, are kinda lacking. If they conclude that instinct thing is not curable with better coaching, then we need a different speedy Safety.

I'd rather see something more like the umbrella coverage the Packers played late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I didn’t know the math, but exactly. You’d rather a guy trigger on time than run .1 seconds faster in a 40. But if you’re going to play single high man more than just a few surprise times a game, you’re going to need a guy who’s 4.44 or faster AND triggers on time. And really, at any given point there are between zero to three of those guys in the world so it’s really not something you see much of in the NFL. Ed Reed, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas are a few of the recent ones. Don’t know if there’s anyone in the league now who can do it reliably enough to be able to play that coverage. So it’s a bit of a pipe dream that we’re going to be the most aggressive defense in the NFL and not get chewed up for it.

But Kam Kinchens has a profile where maybe he could be the next one. Odds are slim, but he seems like a maybe it’s possible prospect.

Gotta have really fast corners too. And we have that. So it’s finding the unicorn at free safety and the dream could come true.
    I agree with you on most points you made here (add Troy Polomalou if I spelled it even close).

I don't get too into draft research, but kinchens name has popped up a few times and he does seem to fit the bill based on what I have read. But one thing you miss. You don't need to have THE BEST guy at playing that role. You can have a guy who is "merely good" and be successful if you generate pressure. If you have good coverage. All defenses are based on not having breakdowns and doing enough things well that the other team can't find success. You can stop the pass with great coverage OR getting to the QB. Or you can be really good at both. You can't suck at either one.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

This team is loaded and headed for consistent meaningful success provided a few assumptions play out as anticipated.

Jaire leaving would be a mistake. Get cut next year this new scheme will highlight your top 5 ability if you stay healthy. Big if on the latter.

Thank you Bakhtiari for your service time and commitment but you're the perfect casualty of age finance and circumstance. If you got another year left go the jets but I'll be the first to say you don't.

The main guy we need back is jones. Unless Barkley is available but he doesn't seem like a fit. Gutes attempt to trade for Jonathan Taylor recently says the satisfaction is talent isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by australianpackerbacker View Post
    This team is loaded and headed for consistent meaningful success provided a few assumptions play out as anticipated.

Jaire leaving would be a mistake. Get cut next year this new scheme will highlight your top 5 ability if you stay healthy. Big if on the latter.

Thank you Bakhtiari for your service time and commitment but you're the perfect casualty of age finance and circumstance. If you got another year left go the jets but I'll be the first to say you don't.

The main guy we need back is jones. Unless Barkley is available but he doesn't seem like a fit. Gutes attempt to trade for Jonathan Taylor recently says the satisfaction is talent isn't there.
    There's been some speculation that we'll be in the Barkley hunt this year, and I wouldn't mind having him at the right price. Free agent running backs are usually not a great move; they're in their mid-20s, and with their early expiration dates, this contract is usually their jackpot contract - their last chance at the big bucks. It's risky being the new team that pays out the huge payday right at the stage of their career where they're likely to start declining any year.

I think that's why we lost interest in Taylor - he cost the Colts $42M over 3 years, and I doubt Gutekunst wanted him badly enough to pay that kind of money. I've seen Barkley projected at $22M over 2 years, which is not as risky but still a lot of money. If we draft well, we can get a 2nd Round RB for (I think) $1.6 per, or a 3rd Rounder for (I think) $1.4. That leaves a hell of a lot of money on the table for other needs.

I think we resign Jones, and try to replace him in the draft this year.

Nailed it. Risk vs return. 3 passes to wicks for 108yrds and a touchdown is the answer to the value question of running back. Unless he's special and Jones is, but the playing styles don't mesh so why get rid of home-grown greatness for an injury liability. Jones has the same risk but he's ours.

Guter seems interested in adding a FA but running back does not seem like the right position for that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm hoping they do not go FA but draft somebody around the 3rd round. What we need to do to maximize Aaron Jones is to find somebody good enough to rotate with him and not have much drop off when he is not on the field. .