Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gute presser

I would not touch a RB before R3. I think they'll be looking at S, OL and maybe even a CB they can play in the slot before they take a RB. There isn't a Bijon in this draft, but there are Day 3 guys who can back up Jones.
    Ray Davis, Jawhar Jordan, Marshawn Lloyd, hell maybe even Daijun Edwards. Trey Benson might be a nice get but he'll be Day 2. I would expect them to let Dillon and Taylor walk and draft 2 if not 3 RBs to compete with Wilson for spots.

Dillon is a great guy and he's not bad, but he's not a RB1 and there is no reason to bring him back if you're keeping Jones. It's like the Jones vs. Jamaal thing: you only need to keep one and bring in new guys. Having RBs on 4 year cheap deals is big for the cap, especially if they can play well.
    Saquon would be a nice get in theory but he'll cost too much and he's had a ton of injuries. 2y/$22M? Pass.

The whole 'competition' thing isn't really new, but I think with what happened this year and the number of picks they will have I suspect there is a little more to it.
    I would love to know if the comment is aimed at specific players (Rasheed, Rhyan) who had to platoon some... imagine giving Gute and the coaches truth serum and finding out know why the coaches did that and what they think of their roster now.

I don't expect them to be buyers in FA... not significant ones, anyway. They'll have to move money around as it is, and FA would force them to move even more, which Ball doesn't want to do. Understandibly. Love is gonna get paid in May.

Glad to read you don't want to pay Saquon what he would cost. I'd say no to anywhere near what he would cost.

Dillon seems to have tried hard to be "Packer people". That's worth considering, but not to pay market value for him. A big back like him, cheap, wouldn't be bad, but sign him for the veteran minimum plus a nice gold key to Door County.

Glad you also agree RB about the 3rd. I like your list, but I'd add Braelon Allen probably at the top of the list. He has breakaway speed plus Dillon like power with some Aaron Jones shiftiness and tackle breaking too.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Detroit hard ass, GM Brad Holmes was on one at his end of year presser. Said the media want him to be accountable and then pointed his finger at a few of them and said, what about you? You said we should have taken a QB instead of Penai. What about you?

Kind of funny how it’s the medias job to make content. It doesn’t matter who they’re criticizing. Doesn’t matter what mob they’re riling up against a person. That’s their job. But when they create all this public scrutiny that threatens people’s jobs and they’re wrong, they don’t like when someone points back and says, know your role. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Media want everyone accountable except themselves.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I’m loving this new era where athletes and execs drag the media the same way the media drags them. That’s the equal ground we always should have been on.

Detroit really hired to appeal to that Detroit blue collar, prison population. The GM looks like the tough, wise prison leader at your local Detroit corner prison. And their coach is that guy who’s gonna put a little hot sauce on dudes ankle when he makes a tackle. Some real back against the wall, claw and fight in the streets mentality there in Detroit.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Detroit hard ass, GM Brad Holmes was on one at his end of year presser. Said the media want him to be accountable and then pointed his finger at a few of them and said, what about you? You said we should have taken a QB instead of Penai. What about you?

Kind of funny how it’s the medias job to make content. It doesn’t matter who they’re criticizing. Doesn’t matter what mob they’re riling up against a person. That’s their job. But when they create all this public scrutiny that threatens people’s jobs and they’re wrong, they don’t like when someone points back and says, know your role. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Media want everyone accountable except themselves.
    Sorry, got to completely disagree with this.

"Media" as you define it creates content because you click on it or subscribe to it. If you stop watching the "media" and clicking on their articles, maybe we could have "media" that actually reports what is happening in the game and in the clubhouse.

But that isn't going to happen because so many people like to watch a trainwreck happen, real or imaginary. The "media" is what it is because of the collective "us".
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

RG, I'm not really familiar with the Lions situation you talked about, nor do I care, but in general, I agree with what you seem to be saying - the rottenness of the media in general. It also says something about the good quality of your post by who is disagreeing with you.

If Gute acted like that at his presser, would we think it was a good look?
    I'm not so sure.

What about Murphy or MLF?

While I agree some in the media behave reprehensibly, I think there are a lot of credentialed press who legitimately do a good job and shouldn't be lumped in with the bad. It's like saying all _____ are bad because one or two are. Journalists have broken some very important stories, let's not call them all pukes. As for the sensational stuff, if people didn't click on it or react to it, it wouldn't have any market. It's called clickbait for a reason, and a lot of journalists are pushed by editors or the higher ups to produce clicks for ad revenue.
    That doesn't mean the media can or should act irresponsibly and if they deserve to be called out, fine. I assume we don't need reminders that freedom of press is critical to a democracy.

Personally I'd give something Silverstein writes more credence than whatever Skip Bayless spouts off about. There are journalists and there are commentators/opinion piece writers. If you want facts, stay away from the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    RG, I'm not really familiar with the Lions situation you talked about, nor do I care, but in general, I agree with what you seem to be saying - the rottenness of the media in general. It also says something about the good quality of your post by who is disagreeing with you.
    Right. It doesn’t matter why the media writes garbage. They write garbage. You could say a drug dealer deals drugs because people want to buy drugs and put the blame on the buyer. It’s the same thing. Just because people click it doesn’t mean doing it is honorable.

Right. It doesn’t matter why the media writes garbage. They write garbage. You could say a drug dealer deals drugs because people want to buy drugs and put the blame on the buyer. It’s the same thing. Just because people click it doesn’t mean doing it is honorable.
    Um drugs are potentially fatal. A news story isn't.
    Reminder: 95% of the information you get about the Packers is from a news source. The same could be said for draft information. If you think the JSO or SI or the Athletic are the equivalent of drug dealers, maybe you should quit reading.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Sometimes you sure are thick.

If no one was buying drugs there wouldn't be drug dealers. I am not placing blame anywhere. It is simply a fact. No demand for a product, no one provides a product.

There are a lot of reputable sources of good information. Not all sources are garbage. Just because you click on garbage sources and stories doesn't mean most or all media is garbage.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

The huge majority of those claiming to be "journalists" actually are the other thing you mentioned, run pMc. RG equating them to drug dealers may be slightly extreme, but only by degree. People are starved for facts, especially in the realm of sports, and those bastards are pushing a large percentage of fake news. Granted, the strictly Packer media people may not be as bad as some others, but they certainly aren't guiltless.

What nobody has mentioned yet is that this is all an interdependent system. Journalists need clicks - it’s the business model - and so they play to the lowest common denominator, because that gets the most clicks. An article breaking down the nuances of the PFF system versus an article suggesting Aaron Rodgers is throwing Guter under the bus - which one gets more play? Guess.

But if journalists DON’T cover a team, the team suffers. The team needs the media. All you people calling the media names? Uh, geez, look how many announcers - part of the media - are FORMER PLAYERS. The Packers will not do well if the media doesn’t cover them.

It’s a closed interdependent system. It’s not just the good guys and the bad guys.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

HOW exactly does the TEAM need those media assholes? HOW are you claiming the team would suffer? I can see arguing that the fans need facts/real information, not fake news masquerading as facts, but even that is a big nothing for the team. The only thing really needed is the directly quoted words and finished actions of the coach and GM and maybe occasionally players. Beyond that, hell no.

And no, announcers are NOT media pukes, commentators maybe - which is why they are annoying and not to be trusted in many cases also.

A drug dealer wants to make money the same way a lowest denominator journalist wants clicks. Wanting money doesn’t excuse all behavior. Hurting people is hurting people.

It’s like there’s this attitude in our culture that whatever they do for money, oh well, they just want clicks. Nah, drag them creeps the same way they drag everyone else. They’re not immune to being called out for their shit anymore than anyone else is. The, I want clicks, shit doesn’t mean they get a free psss to be ass holes.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    HOW exactly does the TEAM need those media assholes? HOW are you claiming the team would suffer? I can see arguing that the fans need facts/real information, not fake news masquerading as facts, but even that is a big nothing for the team. The only thing really needed is the directly quoted words and finished actions of the coach and GM and maybe occasionally players. Beyond that, hell no.

And no, announcers are NOT media pukes, commentators maybe - which is why they are annoying and not to be trusted in many cases also.
    Maybe it's so obvious you can't see the forest for the trees.

Media generates interest. Big-time sports is an entertainment industry; as such, they are competing with the many, many other forms of entertainment out there for you attention and dollars. So your company - in this case the NFL - needs publicity. And they get it - for free - from the media.

If you're going to make the argument that the NFL is "too big to fail," then you've got to account for the fact that once-holy forms of entertainment - say, the movie industry - are shrinking. Baseball is concerned about being left behind, too.

So yes, the NFL needs the media - and the media needs the NFL.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Journalism is just as public of a job as sports. The public pays for them too. They constantly cry when someone drags them through the mud when a big chunk of what they do is drag other people because “they’re public figures.” And people need to know. Well, fair is fair. They’re public jobs too, they should get drug too.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    A drug dealer wants to make money the same way a lowest denominator journalist wants clicks. Wanting money doesn’t excuse all behavior. Hurting people is hurting people.
    Your logic makes no sense.

If no one wants drugs there are no drug dealers.

Here is an experiment for you. Go get a bunch of rotary phones and try to sell them on a street corner. Come back and tell me how many you sold to people that use them as their primary phone.

Drug dealers sell drugs because there is a demand for them. Drug dealers by selling drugs cause a lot of pain in peoples lives and you certainly can argue the morality of selling drugs.

-Tim Harmston

Thunder, you're a smart guy. So you know that demand is not simply organic, or based on logic. Demand can be manufactured, manipulated. Think about cigarette companies adding elements to cigarettes in the early 1950's that they new would help people become addicted.

https://truthinitiative.org/research...more-addictive

I'm not being political here: this is just what many, many corporations do to increase sales: make wants become, or at least seem like, needs. There's been research done that shows that smartphones have a real impact on the human brain, making that brain crave the dopamine release from the constant "hit" of a new tiktok video, or a new sale on something, or whatever. It's an interconnected system. Free will, in my opinion, does play a part - I'm not completely disagreeing with you - I'm just saying we live in a world in which entities much larger than our individual selves do have real impact on the choices we are able to make.

And how about Guter getting fired up about this team? The whole organization seems - just my opinion - to be unleashed after years of seeming to be captive to Aaron Rodgers. There's an energy here we haven't seen in a few years.

KYPack