Dontcha just love theoretical shit? hahahaha

Yes, RG, you probably do need a hobby. It is admirable that you "did the math" as they say. It's also admirable that you concluded that I'm right - although you coulda just taken my word for it. Honestly, though, it's not merely "my" idea. It's what most successful teams/GMs do most of the time. Teams not doing it are not maximizing things. Sometimes, you can get by with that not maximizing - Ol' Ted for many years with GOAT QBs or KC as somebody pointed out, also with a GOATish QB. Probably other examples could be dug up too, but in general, maximizing is better than not maximizing.

It's also true that this whole topic is simplistic if you don't include context - like whether you have enough good players worth keeping that the cap even becomes a factor or if you're blessed with a lot of first contract talent that the cap isn't a factor (maybe the current Packers) or whether some free agent pops up that will make a difference, and you don't have cap space without doing something creative (maybe also the current Packers).