Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cap affect of paying as you go vs pushing out and having dead space

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Of course, Brady also had the advantage of being married to someone who made as much money as he did.
    That explains why Jonathan Owens signs league minimum deals....I mean, part of the reason.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

NFL Cap set at 255.4 million for 2024. 13 million more than most expected.

Some of these numbnuts owners are going to go crazy. I'm wondering if the Jest owner will try to sign a couple big names for the offensive line.

Guter needs to call Joe Douglass and remind him he can have a former pro-bowl left tackle who happens to be Aaron Rodgers's best friend for a fourth-round pick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Some of these numbnuts owners are going to go crazy. I'm wondering if the Jest owner will try to sign a couple big names for the offensive line.

Guter needs to call Joe Douglass and remind him he can have a former pro-bowl left tackle who happens to be Aaron Rodgers's best friend for a fourth-round pick.
    Bak, Cletidus and the Jesters’ 2nd from the Butte trade for Sauce. Make it happen!
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Not bad from the Packers point of view, but very doubtful the Jets would do it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Bak, Cletidus and the Jesters’ 2nd from the Butte trade for Sauce. Make it happen!
    It's a good thing none of us are the Packers' GM, except maybe Harv. But it's an ESPECIALLY good thing that you're not.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    The Packers signed David Baktiari to a 4 year 91 million dollar deal with 62M fully guaranteed. Whether you used signing bonuses or guaranteed roster bonuses, it’s still fully guaranteed.

Here’s how a front loaded deal with 62M guaranteed would look. And we HAVE TO INCLUDE THE GUARANTEED. That’s why he signed. There’s no way out of that.

20M signing bonus
    42M total guaranteed roster bonuses
    62M guarantees between the two types of bonuses
    29M in non guaranteed base salaries
    91M total

Year 1 - 1M base - 16M roster bonus paid at day 1 league year but fully guaranteed at signing (22M cap hit)
    Year 2 - 1M base - 16M roster bonus paid on day 1 league year but fully guaranteed on signing (22M cap hit)
    Year 3 - 11M base - 10M roster bound paid on day 1 league year but fully guaranteed on signing (26M cap hit)
    Year 4 - 16M base - (21M cap hit)

No matter how you structure 62M of guarantees you still can’t cut him or all the guarantees accelerate. Once you decided you wanted David Bakhtiari, you decided you would pay a lot of guarantees and no matter how you structured it, you’re screwed if he has a career ender.

The real problem was the guarantees, not the later cap hits. There’s no way to guarantee 62M without paying 62M when you cut the guy. Draw me up a simple example where that money doesn’t accelerate when you cut him. Make it fully guaranteed and then don’t pay him. I want to see how you guarantee 62 and then don’t pay it because you cut him. I’ve never seen that .
    All that WASN'T locked in when he signed. What happened is that each year Gutes guaranteed most of his base which converted it to bonus and stretched it over the remaining years. He did this because we were in cap hell and he needed to kick it down the road more. Now, in the final year of the deal the only way to kick it would be adding void years, which if I understand it, the player needs to agree to, and Bak wouldn't. Thus, all the coin we paid him wasn't "paid for" against the cap yet. Now is the time of reckoning.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    All that WASN'T locked in when he signed. What happened is that each year Gutes guaranteed most of his base which converted it to bonus and stretched it over the remaining years. He did this because we were in cap hell and he needed to kick it down the road more. Now, in the final year of the deal the only way to kick it would be adding void years, which if I understand it, the player needs to agree to, and Bak wouldn't. Thus, all the coin we paid him wasn't "paid for" against the cap yet. Now is the time of reckoning.
    Agree. Converting salary to bonus is borrowing against future cap space.

As for this:
    20M signing bonus

those roster bonuses are NOT guaranteed if you aren't on the roster. Usually it's paid on the first day of the new season in March (or third or some other early day in the new season) and all it does is make sure that player gets that money if they get cut. It's effectively guaranteed salary.

Blog Entries

Gute went to Back and tried to restructure

Back was looking out for his best interests (I kinda understand that, but on the other hand we kinda got screwed on this deal so it would have been nice if he would have considered that)

GOOD BYE DB.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Gute went to Back and tried to restructure

Back was looking out for his best interests (I kinda understand that, but on the other hand we kinda got screwed on this deal so it would have been nice if he would have considered that)
    Bak's a pretty smart guy, and so is his agent. I'm not sure exactly who reps him, but I do know he's signed with Athletes First, which is the top agency in the NFL. And between DB and his agent, they've consistently drafted a very player-friendly contract at every negotiation, always designed to look out for his best interests and specifically protect him being left high and dry at the end of his career like so many OL end up. Just like what we see happening now.

I don't know if I'd call it "getting screwed", but we sure got the short end of the stick at this stage. Gutekunst knew what he was agreeing to, and decided it was in the team's best interests. Bakhtiari's agent had a job to do, and drove some very hard bargains because he was in a position of strength. Unfortunately, that just happens sometimes.

But at the same time, I would like to hope that David might be willing to work something out with Green Bay to help them ease the pain a bit. Even if it just means just doing something that might make it easier to trade him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Bak's a pretty smart guy, and so is his agent. I'm not sure exactly who reps him, but I do know he's signed with Athletes First, which is the top agency in the NFL. And between DB and his agent, they've consistently drafted a very player-friendly contract at every negotiation, always designed to look out for his best interests and specifically protect him being left high and dry at the end of his career like so many OL end up. Just like what we see happening now.

I don't know if I'd call it "getting screwed", but we sure got the short end of the stick at this stage. Gutekunst knew what he was agreeing to, and decided it was in the team's best interests. Bakhtiari's agent had a job to do, and drove some very hard bargains because he was in a position of strength. Unfortunately, that just happens sometimes.

But at the same time, I would like to hope that David might be willing to work something out with Green Bay to help them ease the pain a bit. Even if it just means just doing something that might make it easier to trade him.

He's done nothing to make me believe he would ever do GB a favor.

As is they release, him, and he gets to pick and choose where he goes
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    He's done nothing to make me believe he would ever do GB a favor.

As is they release, him, and he gets to pick and choose where he goes
    Agreed. Don't think his good buddy Arod will encourage him to take less money to help out Gute.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Yep, and roster bonuses are rarely guaranteed. Josh Allen is the only player I can recall seeing it where they accelerate if he's cut. Bak's deal was good at the time but Packers had to alter it to account for loading up to make a run. Nobody would care about this contract if we won it all. It's just time to move on. He's gonna get cut and that will be fine for him. Players should try to get as much as possible just as all workers should. Lifts all boats.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-gary-contract

From a cash perspective, Gary’s situation has not changed in 2024. He will still be due the original $9 million this year that he was slated to be owed when he signed his extension in 2023. The only difference is that the 2025-2027 Packers will also be paying a share of Gary’s 2024 effort.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree. Converting salary to bonus is borrowing against future cap space.

As for this:
    20M signing bonus

those roster bonuses are NOT guaranteed if you aren't on the roster. Usually it's paid on the first day of the new season in March (or third or some other early day in the new season) and all it does is make sure that player gets that money if they get cut. It's effectively guaranteed salary.
    Right, but my point was that the contract wasn't written that way. The salary was converted after we decided we were keeping him for another year. Since vets are guaranteed on day one of the season it only changed the accounting, not the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post

I think the deal was fair to both team and player. The problem came when Bak couldn't get healthy and they kept deciding "one more year" of waiting was the answer. Also, they were in cap hell and moving on would have been a problem because of the overall cap situation (which Tex and APB insist wasn't real). Because we were in cap hell, it would have been near impossible to cut him. That wasn't bak's fault, nor was it a bad contract. The overall situation of getting into cap hell was the problem, and the belief that he would be fine if we just give it more time.

Actually, it could, and likely does mean more money for Gary. He got $6.2 million 19 days earlier than he otherwise would have. Deposits into my "cash holding" account of my investment account earn 4.95% interest (if held a minimum of 5 days). Assuming Gary has something similar. just holding that $6.2 million for 19 days would yield around $15,000.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Actually, it could, and likely does mean more money for Gary. He got $6.2 million 19 days earlier than he otherwise would have. Deposits into my "cash holding" account of my investment account earn 4.95% interest (if held a minimum of 5 days). Assuming Gary has something similar. just holding that $6.2 million for 19 days would yield around $15,000.
    Or he could go to FL 19 days early and buy has year's worth of pot and get caught with it in the back of his pickup like Letroy Guion.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Right, but my point was that the contract wasn't written that way. The salary was converted after we decided we were keeping him for another year. Since vets are guaranteed on day one of the season it only changed the accounting, not the reality.
    The difference comes into play is subsequent years where if they didn't push the cap forward they might be able to trade or cut a player and not to take a huge cap hit. That can end up keeping a player a year or two longer and costing more overall.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Yep, and roster bonuses are rarely guaranteed. Josh Allen is the only player I can recall seeing it where they accelerate if he's cut. Bak's deal was good at the time but Packers had to alter it to account for loading up to make a run. Nobody would care about this contract if we won it all. It's just time to move on. He's gonna get cut and that will be fine for him. Players should try to get as much as possible just as all workers should. Lifts all boats.
    CMI, how is bonus money ever NOT guaranteed? It's paid. It's not gonna be given back short of some kind of very off-the-wall lawsuit. Did you mean salaries are rarely guaranteed - beyond the current year anyway?

bobblehead, Packer roster strength plus recent events, primarily the huge cap increase, strongly support what APB and I have always said. How are you still hanging on to the bogus crap that the cap is such a bogeyman?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?