Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Cap affect of paying as you go vs pushing out and having dead space

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Most of the teams that push the limit of the cap also are glad they did. The teams making a big deal of the cap are generally perennial losers.
    Which teams "make a big deal out of the cap", and what does that look like?

I should just say check it out for yourself, but I'll tick off a few for you. Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Redskins (or whatever they are now), Raiders, Colts, probably others too.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Wilson's quality dropped inexplicably - why I don't know. Did Denver let him go because of the cap? Or just because he his play wasn't worth the money he was being paid? I suspect the latter.
    Wilson actually had a pretty good year last year. Much better than 2022. He and Sean Payton just didn't get along.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I should just say check it out for yourself, but I'll tick off a few for you. Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Redskins (or whatever they are now), Raiders, Colts, probably others too.
    But I don't understand what you mean by these teams "making a big deal out of the cap". That's a lot of different teams with a lot of very different cap situations; I don't see the common denominator.

Frozen, read the news. There are players cut or not signed or traded cheap, etc. past and present. The most recent one I can think of is Keenan Allen. Beyond that, you're on your own. And you want a common thread? How about not having very good teams?

The Chargers were so far out of cap space they had to redo Bosa and Mack's contracts, didn't bring Ekeler back, and asked Allen to take a pay cut. If they made noise about the cap being a big deal, it's because for them it was.
    The Saints are constantly in some level of cap pain or hell going back to Brees. The Micheal Thomas contract. Their defense. Their OL. It's big contracts and they keep kicking them forward. They will continue to with Derek Carr's contract. That's just how Benson goes - he'd rather be in cap hell at 9-8 then have one or two years of purging to get everything clear.

The Dolphins gave Tyreek a yacht full of money, now they have players up for contracts and can't keep them. They weren't going to be able to keep Wilkins, not if they are keeping Tua.

List goes on. Almost every team has cap decisions to make except a few that have a lot of expiring contracts or just have many players they don't want to keep. The Bears have been an example of this in recent years. The teams that have a lot of cap space to spend and aren't in some form of cap pain are often the exception. And yes, they often suck because they don't have big money allocated to good players or an at least average-level starting QB.

When you don't have talent, you don't pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    if the cap goes up every single year the way it has been going, then it makes sense to kick the can down the road

lets take year 1, you have a guy with a 20 million dollar cap hit, and the cap is 200 million. that guy is taking up 10% of the cap

but you can somehow kick that 20 down the road a couple years to where the cap is gonna be 300 million. now that guys 20 million dollar cap number is only taking up 5% of the cap

so in the long run you win. (i used easy to use numbers, and not real life numbers that suck)

does that make any sense?
    See...all I read is that in several years you are handicapped 5% against the cap vs. a team that didn't kick it down the road. Sure, its a good move if you plan on being GM for only a couple years (Rodgers), but not so great for your successor (Love).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

The Raiders have fucked up their cap, it just hasn't hit yet.

The rest of the teams haven't had the talent to push the cap. Its chicken and egg.

edit: actually the dolphins are going to be in cap hell soon enough too. Your list is a list of bad teams with no real bearing on your argument. I assume you grabbed a list of bad teams and did no research as to their cap situation whatsoever meaning you didn't make an argument at all.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    The Chargers were so far out of cap space they had to redo Bosa and Mack's contracts, didn't bring Ekeler back, and asked Allen to take a pay cut. If they made noise about the cap being a big deal, it's because for them it was.
    The Saints are constantly in some level of cap pain or hell going back to Brees. The Micheal Thomas contract. Their defense. Their OL. It's big contracts and they keep kicking them forward. They will continue to with Derek Carr's contract. That's just how Benson goes - he'd rather be in cap hell at 9-8 then have one or two years of purging to get everything clear.

The Dolphins gave Tyreek a yacht full of money, now they have players up for contracts and can't keep them. They weren't going to be able to keep Wilkins, not if they are keeping Tua.

List goes on. Almost every team has cap decisions to make except a few that have a lot of expiring contracts or just have many players they don't want to keep. The Bears have been an example of this in recent years. The teams that have a lot of cap space to spend and aren't in some form of cap pain are often the exception. And yes, they often suck because they don't have big money allocated to good players or an at least average-level starting QB.

When you don't have talent, you don't pay it.
    You're demonstrating my point. The Chargers decided they needed to do those things rather than kick the can down the road (unless you assume Ekeler and Allen weren't worth keeping.

Possibly the Saints are doing things my way rather than yours hahaha. It that "purging" thing that I'm referring to as the stupid way to go.

Dolphins: can't keep them by restructuring? or deciding not to?

The Bears are another form of a bad example - not pushing the cap and thus being losers, although arguably they would be losers anyway because they just naturally still suck hahahaha.

True about not paying not good talent, but the converse is the point: if you're smart, you DO pay good talent - you find a way, cap be damned.

Frozen, read the news. There are players cut or not signed or traded cheap, etc. past and present. The most recent one I can think of is Keenan Allen. Beyond that, you're on your own. And you want a common thread? How about not having very good teams?
    So, basically... you don't know. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing, because you like to find things to disagree with people about so you can shout at them.

Got it. Thanks.

You're demonstrating my point. The Chargers decided they needed to do those things rather than kick the can down the road (unless you assume Ekeler and Allen weren't worth keeping.
    LOL. The Chargers DID kick the can down the road and continue to do so, AND they had to let talent go because of it. They were in cap hell.

So, basically... you don't know. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing, because you like to find things to disagree with people about so you can shout at them.
    Yeah pretty much seems that way.

Oh sure. NOW you want others to read the media pukes.

It will be interesting to see how the Packers play the cap now. They had been paying up front before Covid. The Covid year messed up that strategy

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Buffalo only has 20 of the 53 players that suited up for their Jan playoff game still on the roster.

Just think about that for minute.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Oh sure. NOW you want others to read the media pukes.
    That's a good and funny response.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Buffalo only has 20 of the 53 players that suited up for their Jan playoff game still on the roster.

Doesn't matter. They were clearing roster spots so they could kick that cap down the road and sign every stud FA available because the cap isn't real, and the money multiplier theory means every team can sign every FA, its just that Gutes is a prick and doesn't want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

Stefon Diggs eating up $31M, meanwhile all of GB's receivers costing $11M.

Buffalo is near the top with $55M is dead money with an ugly Von Miller contract still on the books but are not the only one. In 2024 it is a combined $801M for all 32 teams with the average being around $25M. The Vikings lead the way with $57M in dead money with the Rams at the other end with only $4M. Getting players on rookie contracts that can contribute early is the key to success.

Yeah, Buffalo until recently was a good example - cap be damned, keeping their talented players. I knew about Diggs, but I wasn't aware of the "just 20 of 53" thing. They now have apparently joined the ranks of the stupid - reacting to the perceived cap problems and getting rid of good players. We'll see how long they stay near the top.

I'm extremely thankful for the Packers situation - all our excellent young receivers for a fraction of Diggs' cost, but the fact is (or seems) that Diggs is still damn good, and they probably could have restructured him to get his cap number way down. Oh well, my third favorite team benefits from the Bills turn toward stupidity. I heard Josh Allen is now asking for a trade hahahaha.

Fritz and Sharpe, I read the shit from media pukes all the time. I just don't believe it like most of ya'all. Like blind squirrels, every now and then they get something right, and even when they don't, it's kinda fun to read their stupidity. Honestly, most of the posters in here, even the ones I disagree with, have a better percentage of being on the right side of things than those media assholes.

I think you can throw the entire TE room in for a few million as well.