Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
True, but press is going to be Hafley's bread and butter. It's his religion. I've googled some seminars he's given over the last few years on defensive backs, and saw a Youtube video of him talking to his players at Ohio State. He sounded like George C. Scott in the opening speech in "Patton" - "attack, attack, attack!" His defense is centered on harrassing, frustrating, and interfering with every single thing the recievers try to do; punch him at the line, keep your hands on him, block his path, fight him every single step of his route so that he can't run his planned route, make it so that only a perfect pass can beat the coverage, and the QB has to choose between throwing a risky pass he doesn't want to throw or not throwing the ball at all.

Obviously we won't see that on every play, but it's what he's going to keep going back to on the majority of pass plays. If you're taking a CB in the first round, when there are still a lot of players to choose from, it seems smarter to take one whose strengths fit the coverage you're going to be using the most often.

But that's just my opinion. I don't have a lot invested in it.
Press man can turn into Cover 2 and Cover 2 can look a lot like press man. Ohio State used to love sitting in cover 1 tempting teams to beat them with better athletes outside. It rarely happened until the College Playoffs because Ohio St has had some phenom type corners in the college ranks. College is so much different than the NFL. You can't breath on a receiver in the NFL after 5 yards. It really limits how aggressive you can get with the outside receivers. You can't live in one type of coverage in the NFL, the receivers and QBs are too good and will pick it apart. It's not even so much about multiple coverages its disguise and changing who has what zones.