Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Loins' GM Brad Holmes seems to be having a good offseason, except for having to cut that punk CB. Though that was the right move.

Said in a press conference he got every "Plan A" free agent he wanted, and I believe him.

Weird that the NFC North seems to be shaping up in the near future to be the Loins and the Packers. Bears' and Vikings' GM's don't seem to have much of a plan (I wonder what Ras is thinking about his team's management and offseason).
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

All GMs are going to say they have a successful offseason blah blah blah. In DET's case, they actually did do pretty well. DJ Reader is a good get, and so is Carlton Davis. Their secondary was supposed to be improved last year but were still shaky at times. I think they will be a tough out, especially in their dome. Campbell has them drinking the KoolAid, and they managed to keep both their OC and DC from leaving for HC jobs.

CHI will take Caleb and he will be an occasional problem for GB. He's a good QB but I don't trust CHI to develop him properly. He'll have a defense to help him out and some good if aging skill players. That OL is still not great though.

MIN will move up to take the QB3 or QB4, depending on how high they can get and what they are willing to give up in picks/players to do so. KOC is a good coach and I actually think he could develop a QB if everyone there stays patient. If they get Drake Maye they will absolutely be a problem with their skill players, OL, and defense. If they get McCarthy or Daniels or one of the other guys I'm less worried. Not that they are bad players, but they have more warts to work thru and I have doubts they will have that much patience.

DET will be good now and they have a nice window, but with Goff aging and two years from now being potentially the worst QB in the division, you have to wonder. GB is going to push all these teams, especially DET and have a good chance to win the NFCN.

Offseason workout schedule:

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I really don't think the Lions are gonna be anything special. They may be the second best in the division pretty much by default, as the Vikings are getting worse and the Bears are still gonna suck even with draft picks, etc. that should reduce that sucking factor. The Lions are similar - they're doomed to have mediocrity as their ceiling, especially with Goff as their QB.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I find this just as surprising as LaFleur. How can there not be communication between the front office & head coach. Does Green Bay have a cell phone blind spot like Rodgers' house in California?

"It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” LaFleur told the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/01/pa...ut-josh-jacobs

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatouille View Post
    I find this just as surprising as LaFleur. How can there not be communication between the front office & head coach. Does Green Bay have a cell phone blind spot like Rodgers' house in California?

"It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” LaFleur told the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday."

Silos, yo.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatouille View Post

Or maybe The Flower was apprised of the possibilities, but then things happened fast and Guter didn't have time to contact his head coach, and since he'd already informed The Flower that it might happen, it's not that big of a deal. Could be that, too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Or he could have meant it caught him off guard that the guy who played like 5 full games wouldn't take a pay cut.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Well, as far as I can tell, Jones was willing to take a pay cut - just not one as big as the Packers wanted him to take.

KYPack

In other news rumors swirling around Justin Simmons in green and gold....although when I read the article it sounded sort of like "it would make sense" more than any meat on the bone.

Smells like a fanpost, not actual news.

Gute's recent comments sure made it sound like he wants to draft and develop a safety to play alongside McKinney, I think he'll take one in Day 2 and then a flier on another in Day 3. If all the good prospects get snapped up I think he'll revisit FA, but I don't think he wants to add another veteran and end up with a $25M safety group.

It would make sense only if they don't come out of the draft with a S before R4.

Stefon Diggs must have really worn out his welcome in Buffalo.

Dianna Russini
    @DMRussini

Breaking: The Buffalo Bills are trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans in exchange for a 2025 second-round pick (via the Vikings).

The Texans also receive a 2025 fifth-round pick and sixth-round pick.

Jason_OTC
    @Jason_OTC

The #Bills will carry about $31.1 million in dead money for Diggs. Pretty much a disaster extension for them. Wound up paying an extra $20.9M in 2022 and 2023 to come away with a net of less than a 2nd rounder next year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Stefon Diggs must have really worn out his welcome in Buffalo.
    Wow, yeah they really wanted to get rid of him. I've heard McDermott is...not a good coach. Blames everyone else etc.
    Diggs was a prima donna in MIN. He's kind of a high strung guy. $31M in dead money is a LOT. Teams are going to start getting smarter about some of these contracts to avoid those hits.
    BUF losing a number of players. They'll have to retool at WR without Davis and Diggs.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Diggs called out Allen for not living up to the hype?

Guess I better not throw stones. Packers might be having some hard financial WR choices to make in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Maybe Diggs called out Allen for not living up to the hype?

Guess I better not throw stones. Packers might be having some hard financial WR choices to make in a few years.
    Just give Wicks a 10 year extension right now. I'm drinking the kool aid on him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Just give Wicks a 10 year extension right now. I'm drinking the kool aid on him.
    Me too

He's our star IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Why on earth would the texans make that trade? They're a young and impressionable team and Diggs is toxic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Why on earth would the texans make that trade? They're a young and impressionable team and Diggs is toxic.
    THey are trying to win soon and win NOW while their rookie SuperStar QB is not getting paid. They didn't give up much for Diggs.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    If the Packers draft Kool-Aid Mckinstry, that's gonna be a loaded phrase.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If the Packers draft Kool-Aid Mckinstry, that's gonna be a loaded phrase.
    I don't really want him, and I can't help but saying McKthirsty every time I mention him.