Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Used to be, the cap’s purpose was to handicap fat owners from buying championships like in the MLB. Nowadays, with soaring revenues and revenue sharing, the owners have been exploiting the cap to limit labor costs.

The cap can always be cooked. Pigs simply ain’t too fond of “cooking the cap” cos it fucks with their bottom line. Getting fatter remains the name of the game.

In truth, Wilson wasn’t benched last season due to poor play. Was he prime Russ? No. But he played better than a lotta garbage QBs in the NFL. The Waltons benched Wilson to avoid being on the hook should the slings and arrows struck Ole Russ.
    Yes, the caps can be cooked, but eventually, all payouts will have to hit the books. No, the cap isn't an excuse for owners to pad their pockets. They are required to pay at least 89% of the alotted cap over any 4-year period. I guess technically, they could pad it that 11%, but that would be the most.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Yes, the caps can be cooked, but eventually, all payouts will have to hit the books. No, the cap isn't an excuse for owners to pad their pockets. They are required to pay at least 89% of the alotted cap over any 4-year period. I guess technically, they could pad it that 11%, but that would be the most.
    The key word is "eventually". By the time eventually rolls around, the cap is much higher and the benefits are realized.

Buying championships - in football or baseball - isn't all it's cracked up to be. A helluva lot of small market teams with less money have outperformed the richer ones. Luck and smarts have a lot more to do with success than money.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The key word is "eventually". By the time eventually rolls around, the cap is much higher and the benefits are realized.

Buying championships - in football or baseball - isn't all it's cracked up to be. A helluva lot of small market teams with less money have outperformed the richer ones. Luck and smarts have a lot more to do with success than money.
    Continually cooking the cap can lead to a team not being able to offer an UFA the same amount of money when that bill comes due. That's where it hurts. For instance, there were players we couldn't go after this year because the bill finally came due on AR. Same next year with what's left of Bakh's contract. Again, these bills DO come due and it will make it so you can't offer someone new the same amount of money that another team can at that given time.

Continually cooking the cap can lead to a team not being able to offer an UFA the same amount of money when that bill comes due. That's where it hurts. For instance, there were players we couldn't go after this year because the bill finally came due on AR. Same next year with what's left of Bakh's contract. Again, these bills DO come due and it will make it so you can't offer someone new the same amount of money that another team can at that given time.
    I can't believe this still needs to be explained to people. It's like people think that as long as they have checks in the checkbook, they can just keep writing checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    I can't believe this still needs to be explained to people. It's like people think that as long as they have checks in the checkbook, they can just keep writing checks.
    Did you (or would you) postpone buying a house or a car until you had enough money to pay cash for it? Or would you "cook" the limit of your finances with a mortgage or car loan? THAT's what needs to be explained to people. You are anticipating that you will have more money (or cap space) in the future, so you kick the can down the road and benefit in the meantime.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Did you (or would you) postpone buying a house or a car until you had enough money to pay cash for it? Or would you "cook" the limit of your finances with a mortgage or car loan? THAT's what needs to be explained to people. You are anticipating that you will have more money (or cap space) in the future, so you kick the can down the road and benefit in the meantime.
    When I buy a house or a car, I usually expect to keep them for several years - not buy one or two more houses and cars every single year for the indefinite future. So the payment becomes a fixed, one-time part of my yearly budget, and stays constant for years or even decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    When I buy a house or a car, I usually expect to keep them for several years - not buy one or two more houses and cars every single year for the indefinite future. So the payment becomes a fixed, one-time part of my yearly budget, and stays constant for years or even decades.
    Wait...you don't refinance it every 4 years and then continue paying for it during the "void years" 3 years after you move out?? You must be doing it wrong.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Continually cooking the cap can lead to a team not being able to offer an UFA the same amount of money when that bill comes due.
    And since you're trading unguaranteed money (future seasons' salary) for spread-out guaranteed money (prorated bonuses), you can't cut or trade that player without getting an anvil dropped on your salary-cap plans. So if you "cook the books" or "kick the can" or whatever metaphor (It's easy! Any team can do it!), you're hoping that this is a dude who can play the whole term of his contract, who won't change for the worse when a huge bonus is dropped in his lap, and who won't be a big cloud of stink in the lockerroom.

My local team, the Saints, had their head coach leave for the Rockies once he saw that his retirement-postponing QB wasn't postponing it anymore and years of his prorated salaries were gonna come due -- causing them to cut more players to clear cap space. Now that I write it out, I'm thrilled he's got a Russel Wilson-sized hole in the 2023 and 2024 salary caps.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the "If we spend a lot of money and make it to the Conference Championship, I'll be okay as the division's doormat for seasons to come!" THAT is what I think of as true credit-card mentality.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 03-06-2024 at 05:46 PM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.