Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I Googled this and watched the little video. It looked and sounded a lot like what young players are taught to do if you're trying to bring down somebody bigger than you. It seems to me to be just another step toward watering down the game in the name of safety. I'm against the new rule. The fact that the players association is against it should be the determining factor.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I Googled this and watched the little video. It looked and sounded a lot like what young players are taught to do if you're trying to bring down somebody bigger than you. It seems to me to be just another step toward watering down the game in the name of safety. I'm against the new rule. The fact that the players association is against it should be the determining factor.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it is the determinative factor, but it certainly is an indicator. Their role is to look out for the players, keep them healthy and extend their careers, and the argument is that the "hip-drop tackle" puts the players at risk. Which, yeah.... it does. It's a violent game.

This is one of the ways I was taught to bring down a big running back with a head of steam when I was a linebacker, if that's how I had hold of the dude. If they ban that tackle, it's going to be one more rule that's subjectively and arbitrarily enforced, and people will be even more pissed at the referees. Teams will make a stop on third down and see it turned into a first down with a stupid and controversial penalty. and everyone will be on the warpath.