Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't think they can fine him while tagged and not signed. Pretty sure the player doesn't lose a dime until he loses game checks.

The other thing you may have not explained quite right is that they lose the league year if they don't sign by week 10. i.e. the team can tag that player again next year for the exact same thing. In Pitt, whats his name reported and signed in week 10 because that gave him credit for signing and the league year. If they had tagged him a second time the amount was obscene. If he didn't report they tag him as if he had never been tagged a first time.
    Thanks, I knew I had a couple of things either only half-right or left out completely. Not to make excuses, but they really did make this one complicated as hell.

I knew somebody else would know and set it straight. Appreciated!

Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN

Source: #Chiefs are releasing wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Saves Kansas City $12 million on the cap.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN

Source: #Chiefs are releasing wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Saves Kansas City $12 million on the cap.
    2 years, 20+ million frogskins in the bank. 2 rings. Not bad for a former 5th rounder from some no name swamp college in Florida.

Apparently, after the latest Roman numerals game, the dammed media asked MVS to explain why P-Ma is way better a rock thrower than Butte. MVS refused to bite. Said he has fond memories of pimping with Butte. This guy is gonna be a Jester, soon, no doubt.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Mecole Hardman certainly bit when asked about KC vs. NYJ. Basically made it sound like the offensive staff was a clown car and said certain players got preferential treatment. Shocking, I know.

There are reports that Bears and Falcons have agreed to a trade for Justin Fields. If true, any trade wouldn't become official until March 13.

Damn. I was hoping da Bears would pin their hopes and their salary cap on Fields. Now I can only hope they pick a QB overall #1 who turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf, and Fields goes on to a solid career in Atlanta.

In my estimation, MVS will be lucky to land a minimum-wage deal somewhere. He drops more balls than an unpaid hooker.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Damn. I was hoping da Bears would pin their hopes and their salary cap on Fields. Now I can only hope they pick a QB overall #1 who turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf, and Fields goes on to a solid career in Atlanta.

In my estimation, MVS will be lucky to land a minimum-wage deal somewhere. He drops more balls than an unpaid hooker.
    MVS will do better than minimum. He has speed few have to stretch the field. Packers missed him very much in the 2021 playoff game vs. 49ers. And he has a knack for coming through in big games. And he's never had more than 7 drops in a season. He had 3 last year.

Since I have no statistics or evidence to back up my position - just my feelings - then I must revert to this:

Ah, fuck that guy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Since I have no statistics or evidence to back up my position - just my feelings - then I must revert to this:

Ah, fuck that guy.
    My guess is the drops probably seem more numerous than they really are because when MVS does drop one, it usually would have been a big play. Most of his routes are run well downfield. Also, MVS was never very good at coming down with 50/50 balls, which some might regard as drops.

MVS will do better than minimum. He has speed few have to stretch the field. Packers missed him very much in the 2021 playoff game vs. 49ers. And he has a knack for coming through in big games. And he's never had more than 7 drops in a season. He had 3 last year.
    3 on 21 receptions...

Jason B. Hirschhorn
    @by_JBH

The Broncos have announced that they will release quarterback Russell Wilson at the start of the new league year.

Andrew Brandt
    @AndrewBrandt

Broncos officially releasing Russell Wilson.
    They were as all-in on him, between trade assets given up and contract, as any team was all-in on any player.
    Now they're all-out.
    $39M left over in cash.
    $85M left over in Cap.
    Will go down as one of worst contracts in NFL history.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 03-04-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Jason B. Hirschhorn
    @by_JBH

The Broncos have announced that they will release quarterback Russell Wilson at the start of the new league year.

Andrew Brandt
    @AndrewBrandt

Broncos officially releasing Russell Wilson.
    They were as all-in on him, between trade assets given up and contract, as any team was all-in on any player.
    Now they're all-out.
    $39M left over in cash.
    $85M left over in Cap.
    Will go down as one of worst contracts in NFL history.
    Yeah, moving on from Wilson was being telegraphed a few weeks back, but the numbers are pretty staggering.
    I'd counter by saying the Bakhtiari contract is one of the worst in history as well. No fault of Bakhtiari, the guy wants to play, but 13 games in 3 seasons since signing a $92M contract is pretty bad.

Back to Russell - some QB needy team will kick the tires on him, but I think his superstar days are long past. Denver's holding a big bag of excrement on their cap. Seahawks looking smart there.

Clueless fans who think they’re smarter than a burger flipper with a worthless bachelor’s in accounting, as well as having passed the fucking Wisconsin CPAs, see $85M in “dead money” and they think, cap hell!

There ain’t any fuck as a cap hell anymore. Asses of Denver (not to be confused with the Asses of Indianapolis), don’t owe Wilson 85M. They’re gonna spread the hit over two years. Wilson’s cap hit this year will be 35.4M, minus chump change from another team - the 35.4M figure would be exactly the same figure if Wilson was still an Ass. 49.6M next year when the cap’s gonna inflate even more. Cap hell, my ass!
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 03-05-2024 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Flipping burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Clueless fans who think they’re smarter than a burger flipper with a worthless bachelor’s in accounting, as well as having passed the fucking Wisconsin CPAs, see $85M in “dead money” and they think, cap hell!

There ain’t any fuck as a cap hell anymore. Asses of Denver (not to be confused with the Asses of Indianapolis), don’t owe Wilson 85M. They’re gonna spread the hit over two years. Wilson’s cap hit this year will be 35.4M, minus chump change from another team - the 35.4M figure would be exactly the same figure if Wilson was still an Ass. 49.6M next year when the cap’s gonna inflate even more. Cap hell, my ass!
    Your posts indicate the type of guy who's up to his neck in credit card debt, but because the minimum payment is "only" $350 a month, thinks it's just fine because he can probably come up with $350 each month, so it's not so bad.

KYPack

Your posts indicate the type of guy who's up to his neck in credit card debt, but because the minimum payment is "only" $350 a month, thinks it's just fine because he can probably come up with $350 each month, so it's not so bad.
    Bingo!

Terrible analogy. Unlike credit card instruments, “dead money” does not incur interest and it is neither a debt nor a cash flow. Dead money is merely an accounting item that denotes the premature termination of a contract with respect to the guaranteed portion of said contract.

Absence of contract restructuring, Wilson’s cap hits for the next two seasons, assuming he remained an Ass, would have been 35.4M and 55.4M, respectively. The Asses will actually receive cap relief next season for cutting Wilson this year. Not to mention, the recent termination allows the Waltons, owners of the Asses, to save money (and live better) - Wilson is owe 30-something frogskins this year, but the Waltons save $37M next year!

Terrible analogy. Unlike credit card instruments, “dead money” does not incur interest and it is neither a debt nor a cash flow. Dead money is merely an accounting item that denotes the premature termination of a contract with respect to the guaranteed portion of said contract.

Absence of contract restructuring, Wilson’s cap hits for the next two seasons, assuming he remained an Ass, would have been 35.4M and 55.4M, respectively. The Asses will actually receive cap relief next season for cutting Wilson this year. Not to mention, the recent termination allows the Waltons, owners of the Asses, to save money (and live better) - Wilson is owe 30-something frogskins this year, but the Waltons save $37M next year!
    Thank you for confirming my post.

KYPack

And this is a terrible understanding, too. Yes, the Waltons will save $37M in not having to pay next year's salaray, but that does NOT mean prior payments in bonuses and this year's $39M "frogskins" doesn't impact their overall salary cap availability. It most DEFINITELY impacts what other free agent transactions they will be able to do.

Which players received the franchise tag?
    Tee Higgins, Cincinnati Bengals WR
    L'Jarius Sneed, Kansas City Chiefs CB
    Brian Burns, Carolina Panthers EDGE
    Justin Madubuike, Baltimore Ravens DT
    Antoine Winfield, Tampa Bay Buccaneers S
    Josh Allen, Jacksonville Jaguars EDGE
    Jaylon Johnson, Chicago Bears CB
    Michael Pittman, Indianapolis Colts WR

Which players received the transition tag?
    Kyle Dugger, New England Patriots S
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    And this is a terrible understanding, too. Yes, the Waltons will save $37M in not having to pay next year's salaray, but that does NOT mean prior payments in bonuses and this year's $39M "frogskins" doesn't impact their overall salary cap availability. It most DEFINITELY impacts what other free agent transactions they will be able to do.
    Have you passed the CPAs? If not, then - check out this awesome analogy - you’re basically telling a brain surgeon that she ain’t know shit about brain surgery. Leave the cap to experts such as myself.

Sure, there are opportunity costs. But Wilson’s cap hit is 35.4M this year whether or not he’s on the team. It ain’t that difficult to cook the cap if the Asses need that 35.4 so baldy to sign, say, Mike Evens.