Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    I can't believe this still needs to be explained to people. It's like people think that as long as they have checks in the checkbook, they can just keep writing checks.
    Did you (or would you) postpone buying a house or a car until you had enough money to pay cash for it? Or would you "cook" the limit of your finances with a mortgage or car loan? THAT's what needs to be explained to people. You are anticipating that you will have more money (or cap space) in the future, so you kick the can down the road and benefit in the meantime.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'm kinda hoping the Packers can sign Xavier McKinney from the Giants. He would be a step upward IMO from Savage. The total money might be more, but likely, you could fix it so the cap hit is no worse.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm kinda hoping the Packers can sign Xavier McKinney from the Giants. He would be a step upward IMO from Savage. The total money might be more, but likely, you could fix it so the cap hit is no worse.

Xavier McKinney comments on potentially signing with Packers in free agency

If the Packers make a deal with McKinney, they can give an assist to Kay Adams. On a recent episode of Up & Adams, she brought up the possibility of McKinney reuniting with former defensive backs coach Derrick Ansley in Green Bay.
    McKinney said that he was "intrigued" when he heard the news of the Packers hiring Ansley.
    "I didn't know that he was there. I thought he was still with the Chargers," said McKinney. "So when I heard that news, I was kind of intrigued a little bit."
    Ansley was the lead recruiter and defensive backs coach at Alabama during McKinney's time there. The Packers hired Ansley as their new defensive pass game coordinator this offseason, having spent last year as the Los Angeles Chargers' defensive coordinator.
    Reuniting McKinney with Ansley makes a lot of sense, and the former second-round pick could play various roles in Jeff Hafley's defense.
    "I'm very versatile," said McKinney. "I've proven I can play the deep part of the field. I can play half the field, quarters coverage, I can blitz. I'm able to play man to man, I'm able to play zone, I can play in the slot."

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They can get a Jordan Fuller or Julian Blackmon type of S for less than they paid Savage last year, and get better production. Savage missed almost 14% of his tackle attempts, that's not good.
    The FA safety market might be the area they strike. I don't see them signing a vet RB in FA. Maybe a LB?

They can cut DeVondre and get 2.6M cap space, do the same with Royce Newman and get about the same number and put together sign someone who can help.
    It's quite possible that we can solve our immediate safety problem (2 quality starting safeties) in free agency, and go into the draft totally focused on other needs - OL, DL (which is one the fans don't seem to be thinking about, but I promise you Hafley sure is), RB, LB, secondary depth.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Did you (or would you) postpone buying a house or a car until you had enough money to pay cash for it? Or would you "cook" the limit of your finances with a mortgage or car loan? THAT's what needs to be explained to people. You are anticipating that you will have more money (or cap space) in the future, so you kick the can down the road and benefit in the meantime.
    When I buy a house or a car, I usually expect to keep them for several years - not buy one or two more houses and cars every single year for the indefinite future. So the payment becomes a fixed, one-time part of my yearly budget, and stays constant for years or even decades.

I dunno about signing two guys, but I think, given how many safeties have been let go now, that they ought to be able to get someone who'll be an upgrade from what they put out there last year. After all the releases, it's hard to imagine Savage getting some big contract somewhere.

If they can sign a safety and either a running back or a linebacker, then they'd go into the draft with fewer pressing needs.

I'm still hoping they re-sign Kesean Nixon.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I dunno about signing two guys, but I think, given how many safeties have been let go now, that they ought to be able to get someone who'll be an upgrade from what they put out there last year. After all the releases, it's hard to imagine Savage getting some big contract somewhere.

If they can sign a safety and either a running back or a linebacker, then they'd go into the draft with fewer pressing needs.

I'm still hoping they re-sign Kesean Nixon.
    i like the idea of signing a safety , then drafting another one high

with so many vet safeties hitting free agencies, that should drive the price down for them. you might be able to sign a second vet for dirt cheap to be a backup/ possible starter

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

Sources: The #Broncos are in the process of trading star WR Jerry Jeudy to the #Browns, as Denver tries to stockpile draft picks & Cleveland adds a weapon.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

Sources: The #Broncos are in the process of trading star WR Jerry Jeudy to the #Browns, as Denver tries to stockpile draft picks & Cleveland adds a weapon.
    Not surprising. The Broncos are fucked for the next couple of years while they get Russel off their salary cap. They aren't going to be able to sign contracts and have the time to wait for their new QB to develop. Their window isn't even going to start to open for 2-3 years.

Might as well get as much good young talent as possible and let it develop over the next couple of years.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

only getting a 5th and 6th round pick in return

broncos are a shit show

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    only getting a 5th and 6th round pick in return

broncos are a shit show
    They need to create cap space to pay off the Russ contract.

They need to create cap space to pay off the Russ contract.
    According to Spotrac the Broncos have $27M in cap space after the Jeudy trade compared to the Packers $13M. The Broncos will also have a $50M dead cap this year and I believe $45M dead cap in 2025. Packers have a dead cap of $12.5M for just this year but a looming contract for Jordan Love. I have no idea what the Broncos will do at QB as I doubt Jarrett Stidham or Ben DiNucci is the answer.

Hmmm..

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero

Veteran kicker Nick Folk, who leads the NFL in field-goal percentage over the past four seasons, is expected to test the free-agent market, per source. Folk made 29 of 30 FG attempts in 2023 with Tennessee.

Hmmm..
    Do it. In a heartbeat.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatouille View Post
    According to Spotrac the Broncos have $27M in cap space after the Jeudy trade compared to the Packers $13M. The Broncos will also have a $50M dead cap this year and I believe $45M dead cap in 2025. Packers have a dead cap of $12.5M for just this year but a looming contract for Jordan Love. I have no idea what the Broncos will do at QB as I doubt Jarrett Stidham or Ben DiNucci is the answer.
    I don’t think that number counts Russell’s cap hit. Over the cap has them at $19M over after releasing Russell.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Hmmm..
    If they were gonna have an old-ass kicker, why get rid of Crosby? I guess they tried the young kicker thing and he kind of sucked so there's that.

Why are you all talking about Denver being in cap hell because of the Russell Wilson contract when APB has schooled us all in the myth of the limitations of a salary cap?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hmmm..
    I think Chase McLaughlin is available? He made plenty of FG/XP and would be cheap competition for Carlson. Folk will ask for more money.
    I doubt they spend a lot for K competition; I really think they want Carlson to win but also want to make him work harder for it than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Why are you all talking about Denver being in cap hell because of the Russell Wilson contract when APB has schooled us all in the myth of the limitations of a salary cap?
    Cap is totally fake. Just think they coulda had BOTH Rodgers and Russ in trades and platooned them, alternating series to throw off teams. The cap numbers would've been fine as long as you kicked the can down the road until 2032 and signed nothing but street free agents, but who cares. That's all fake. Sign Dex Bryant and OBJ and bring back Jermichael. The salary cap is fake just like a credit card balance. Pure Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    When I buy a house or a car, I usually expect to keep them for several years - not buy one or two more houses and cars every single year for the indefinite future. So the payment becomes a fixed, one-time part of my yearly budget, and stays constant for years or even decades.
    Wait...you don't refinance it every 4 years and then continue paying for it during the "void years" 3 years after you move out?? You must be doing it wrong.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.