Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Russell Wilson will sign 1 year team friendly contract with Steelers. Basically Broncos will be paying him to play for Steelers.

Legal tampering period starts Monday at 11:00 AM CDT.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Is 'bad luck' a euphemism for 'aging'? Because that's what Russell and Rodgers have done to where injuries and poor performance get you. Having an old QB fail to play well or last a full season is not bad luck, it's bad planning.

At some point teams have to at least ease up if not stop cooking, otherwise the weight of the dead cap hits prevents your team from signing or keeping (good) players. If GB hadn't hit the jackpot on its receivers this past season, or if Gute hadn't drafted Jordan Love, they would've been a trainwreck last year...and they had kicked everything they could forward just to get under the cap and absorb Rodgers cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Is 'bad luck' a euphemism for 'aging'? Because that's what Russell and Rodgers have done to where injuries and poor performance get you. Having an old QB fail to play well or last a full season is not bad luck, it's bad planning.

At some point teams have to at least ease up if not stop cooking, otherwise the weight of the dead cap hits prevents your team from signing or keeping (good) players. If GB hadn't hit the jackpot on its receivers this past season, or if Gute hadn't drafted Jordan Love, they would've been a trainwreck last year...and they had kicked everything they could forward just to get under the cap and absorb Rodgers cap hit.
    Bad Luck is a thing in the short term. But people like Tex (and APB) think making poor decisions over and over equates bad luck.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Maybe, run pMc, but they had good reason to believe Wilson would be way better than he turned out to be - I call that bad luck. Worse luck for them would be if he snapped back and played good for somebody else - on their money. Joe, I know in baseball it happens like you described. I don't know, but isn't there some rule in the NFL that a guy can't double dip - still receive money from one team and then sign and get more with somebody else?

As for Rodgers, I'm actually predicting that Rodgers comes back and plays like the GOAT that he is this year for the Jets, unless there is another round of bad luck, and he gets hurt again.

Fritz, yes, now you're getting it - exactly like you said, sarcasm be damned hahahaha. As for you and Drew, luck has it's limits. I Googled her, age is catching up with her. She's 46 now, so maybe you 've got a chance like the Steelers with Wilson hahahaha.

bobblehead, yeah, that's about right I guess, but I can't really say cuz I never had any extended run of bad luck - it must mean good decisions hahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Joe, I know in baseball it happens like you described. I don't know, but isn't there some rule in the NFL that a guy can't double dip - still receive money from one team and then sign and get more with somebody else?
    I remember reading that "offsets" were one of the negotiating angles in the revamped draft contracts, and it looks like it's caught up to the vets as well.

I keep reading that Russell will get his full guaranteed Broncos salary minus whatever his current team pays him. I'm curious if his Steelers minimum is added back to the Broncos cap or if both teams lose out on that $1.xxx million.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

I read in some Yahoo Sports article that Russ Wilson didn't have the same super-meticulous playbook memorization that Drew Brees had (I assume the source is Payton or someone on the offensive staff), so a lot of the if-thens and hundreds of plays were scrapped for a slimmer selection.

Back in my fantasy football seasons, I remember the Broncos having a number of above-average WRs/TEs but never a clear #1. Most of those dudes I was waiting for a breakout were still on the roster (until Jeudy got traded). So it's not like talent was a problem, but I think Wilson wasn't the playbook nerd/non-improvisor Sean Payton wanted. That may be part of "bad luck," when the coach and QB don't agree on how to play offense.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 03-11-2024 at 11:34 AM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Tony Pollard signing 3 year, 24M deal with Titans

Vikings signing Texans OLB Jonathan Greenard to a 4 year 76M deal with 42M guaranteed. Greenard had 12.5 sacks in 2023.

Bears signing RB D'Andre Swift to a 3 year 24M deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Vikings signing Texans OLB Jonathan Greenard to a 4 year 76M deal with 42M guaranteed. Greenard had 12.5 sacks in 2023.

Raider signing former Dolphins DT Christian Wilkins to 4 year, 110M deal with 84.75M guaranteed.

Jaguars signing former Bills WR Gabe Davis.

Rams signing former Lions G Jonah Jackson to a 3 year 51M deal with 34M guaranteed.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I don’t think that number counts Russell’s cap hit. Over the cap has them at $19M over after releasing Russell.
    You’re either misreading or simply cannot comprehend your own source. Wilson currently sits at the very top of the Broncos’ cap hit this season at 35.4M, according to OTC. Broncos are currently 28.8M under the cap, according to OTC.

But yeah, since I lack knowledge of astrology, I’ll just assume that the sun is 8 minutes away from the earth - just like the person who cannot understand the dynamics of the NFL salary cap assumes the Broncos are in a cap hell, especially since they saw the 85M “dead money” figure.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    You’re either misreading or simply cannot comprehend your own source. Wilson currently sits at the very top of the Broncos’ cap hit this season at 35.4M, according to OTC. Broncos are currently 28.8M under the cap, according to OTC.

But yeah, since I lack knowledge of astrology, I’ll just assume that the sun is 8 minutes away from the earth - just like the person who cannot understand the dynamics of the NFL salary cap assumes the Broncos are in a cap hell, especially since they saw the 85M “dead money” figure.
    Over the Cap has the Broncos $28M under the cap with Russell counting $35.4 million. When the Broncos official release Russell pre 6/1 his cap hit for 2024 jumps to $85M which puts the Broncos over the cap.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Savage signing with JAX for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They need to create cap space to pay off the Russ contract.
    No they don’t. The greed-fucked Waltons just don’t want to pay Juedy his 12.9M 5th year option. All things being equal, Broncos coulda kept Juedy and still be $16M beneath the cap.

Trading Juedy costs the Broncos $0 in “dead money.”

Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs, according to reports. Holy crap. What are we doing?

Packers are signing RB Josh Jacobs, according to reports. Holy crap. What are we doing?
    Wait, what? Ain’t the Packers in a cap hell?

Kirk Cousins signing with Falcons.

Raider signing former Dolphins DT Christian Wilkins to 4 year, 110M deal with 84.75M guaranteed.

Jaguars signing former Bills WR Gabe Davis.

Rams signing former Lions G Jonah Jackson to a 3 year 51M deal with 34M guaranteed.

Yeah Cousins supposedly signing a 4 year deal with ATL. Yikes. The NFCN is going to be interesting this season. You have to think 2 new starting QBs in the division.

Yeah Cousins supposedly signing a 4 year deal with ATL. Yikes. The NFCN is going to be interesting this season. You have to think 2 new starting QBs in the division.
    And probably both rookies.

Eagles signing former Jets DE Bryce Huff to 3 year, 51M contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Over the Cap has the Broncos $28M under the cap with Russell counting $35.4 million. When the Broncos official release Russell pre 6/1 his cap hit for 2024 jumps to $85M which puts the Broncos over the cap.
    1. It was obvious as fuck the Asses ain’t gonna absorb all 85M this year.

2. I replied to your post in which you questioned another poster about the Asses being under the cap.

But feel free change contexts to make yourself look smart.

Runyan signing with NYG for 3/30M, 17M guaranteed. Madness.