Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible rules change to Kick-offs. Thoughts?

I'm not bitching about safety, I'm bitching about people that complain every damn time there's a change for safety. If you believed all the complaints, you'd be certain the game was boring as hell and nobody watched anymore. Funny how there's plenty of fans still interested despite all the whining from the old dudes about pussification.

Kick returns are boring as hell today. They're not going to make it worse because it's the worst part of the game. I'd rather they just got rid of them all together.

Sexist old guy here to suggest they put sex back in the NFL. Bring back the lingerie league so each NFL team drafts a parallel women’s lingerie league roster. Then use them for the kickoff, with current rules. Safe, but not boring!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Sexist old guy here to suggest they put sex back in the NFL. Bring back the lingerie league so each NFL team drafts a parallel women’s lingerie league roster. Then use them for the kickoff, with current rules. Safe, but not boring!
    Well, when it comes to rule changes, and player safety, it's a complicated issue and needs to very carefully considered. To begin with, I thi....

Wait a minute. I'm sorry, did you say something about sex? And lingerie?

I'm sorry I interrupted you. Please keep talking.

I'm a fan of kickoffs and punts as these plays can in an instant change the momentum of the game. Both have some of the highest injury risk for plays in the game but all plays have risk and I doubt the game can ever be made entirely safe. I convinced the NFL would prefer to eliminate kickoffs entirely (with punts to follow) but would make it more unwatchable.

These are just the rule changes made to formation and kickoff spot in the SB era. You can see a complete list of all kickoff changes at the following link.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2018/...rules-changes/

Formation
    2006 A minimum of 4 kicking team players must be on both sides of the ball

2009 Kicking team must have on each side of the ball at least 3 players outside the hashmarks including 1 outside the numbers

2011 Kicking team players must be no more than 5 yards behind the ball

2018 Kicking team players must be no more than 1 yard behind the ball and no prekick motion

2018 Kicking team players must have 5 on either side of the ball, at least 2 between hashmarks and numbers, at least 2 outside numbers

2018 Receiving team must have 8 players within the “setup zone” (15-yd zone between 10-25 yards from the ball)

2018 Receiving team cannot exit the setup zone on either side until the ball touches the ground or a player

2021 Receiving team is permitted to have a 9th player in the setup zone at their option

Kickoff Spot
    1974 35-yard line

1994 30-yard line (17 seasons)

2008 Kickoff must be made at the restraining line, removing an option to place anywhere behind

2011 35-yard line (33 seasons total, as of 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Well, when it comes to rule changes, and player safety, it's a complicated issue and needs to very carefully considered. To begin with, I thi....

Wait a minute. I'm sorry, did you say something about sex? And lingerie?

I'm sorry I interrupted you. Please keep talking.

I'd watch her watch the football sailing through the end zone for a touchback.

I'd watch her make a fair catch.

I'd watch her make an unfair catch.

Yeah, I'd watch the kickoffs.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is actually a great idea. Except use it to replace cheerleaders. Then we can see them during the game and they bounce around a bit.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd watch her watch the football sailing through the end zone for a touchback.

I'd watch her make a fair catch.

I'd watch her make an unfair catch.

Yeah, I'd watch the kickoffs.
    that red mark on her arm is from a creep like you trying to grab her.

I’m the toothless old skeez sitting at the end of the bar, cackling at the barmaid and leering at the girls in the bar forty years younger than me.

A true sexy dude.

But if I was grabbing her, the arms are not the body part I’d be thinking of.

KYPack

seems like a whole hell of a lot of new rules, just to make the game lamer

refs already don't know the rules we already have

just put the flags on the players already and call it soccer