Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Jones Being Released

Blog Entries
    Gute and AJO's agents were in negotiations to restructure the deal for a while. I love AJO. Gute did himself no favors when he commented right after the last playoff game that Jones would absolutely be back as a Packer.

His agent was trying to use the late run to get him some serious ching and GB was not having it.

I just hope GB didn't JordyNelson Aaron Jones
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Calm down, people. There's still a 50/50 chance Jones will re-sign with the Packers, and we will have two great RBs.

The Cowboys lost Pollard who is very similar to Jones, so I could see how they would want him, especially with McCarthy. Considering Jones' age and injury history, though, there's a significant chance the Cowboys and everybody else will try to lowball him. If that happens, I could certainly see him coming back to the Packers. I highly doubt this was a hostility thing. Gutekunst probably told him to test the market and come back if he couldn't get what he hopes for.

I was hoping to have us draft a RB to rotate with Jones - now Jacobs, but having both would probably be best.

And for ya'all cap panickers, hell yeah, all things are possible.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I was hoping to have us draft a RB to rotate with Jones - now Jacobs, but having both would probably be best.
    I'd still draft an RB, probably Day Three. If we were to sign Jones, that'd be the end of AJ, and our only other back would be Wilson - who Gute claims to love, and says he has a great future, etc, but I'm not convinced. I'd be uncomfortable knowing he was all we had on the shelf.

LeFleur must be bumming. If they could’ve kept Jones AND had Jacobs, LeFleur would’ve had TWO really good running backs to ignore for long, crucial stretches of games.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I just hope GB didn't JordyNelson Aaron Jones
    I hope not too. Jacobs is younger than Jones by four years, so I don't see the comparison to Nelson and Graham as particularly good.

Aaron Wilson
    @AaronWilson_NFL

#Vikings are having constructive dialogue with former #Packers running back Aaron Jones with some optimism that a potential deal could be reached for him to remain in NFC North after being released by Green Bay, per league sources @KPRC2
    I would think at this point in his career he would want to go to a team with a better chance of making the playoffs. Vikings right now have as big a question mark at QB as any team in football.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I just don't get it. Sure, the cap number is lower for the dude this year, but they are paying Jones either way. Seems kinda silly. AJO is a unique player and team MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I would think at this point in his career he would want to go to a team with a better chance of making the playoffs. Vikings right now have as big a question mark at QB as any team in football.
    I think they not only have a question mark regarding the position itself, but an even bigger cultural question mark about their ability to even figure out how to solve the first question mark. Unless their master plan revolves around waiting until 2025 and signing Rodgers when he's used up the Jets, and then waiting another 15 years until it's Jordan's turn.

Fran Tarkenton was their highwater mark for franchise quarterbacks. Culpepper stirred up some excitement for a minute or two, until the rest of the league figured out he was as dumb as a rusty horseshoe, but in the half century since Tark, Cousins was really as close as they've come. And now they're right back to Square One.

They had a shitty enough year to get the #11 pick, but in a year that's only about 3-4 QBs deep (at best) in terms of likely 1st year quality starters. There are another 3-4 who may have a realistic chance to be developed into a franchise quarterback, but not quickly enough to mean anything significant to Jones (and even then, only with a decent coaching staff, and we poached Sean Mannion from them. It sounds like they really did assume that when he retired, he'd become their Tom Clements).

Unless they trade up, I don't know if they have any option. If the Bears cut Fields, they'd be fools not to snatch 'im up, but the Bears will never do anything that smart. They have 9 picks, and in a draft where the 1st round is bursting with OL, they could maybe move up a few spots with a team who needs a lineman (which they do not) and steal a QB. Otherwise, it's probaby Darnell or Garrapolo, and if I'm Aaron Jones, at that point I say "screw it, I'll go with Green Bay for whatever, and get my ring".

I highly doubt Jones will sign with Green Bay after being released. If there is a chance, it is significantly lower than 50-50. Money clearly was a key factor here, so Jones is now focused on getting top dollar. Green Bay did right by him by releasing him early, so he has a great chance at landing a strong deal. Honestly, this breakup was largely forced by Rodgers and his demands for retaining players who provided little long term value to the team. Gute has done a good job worming his way out of that, but it wasn’t going to happen without some pain. We got the best of Aaron Jones in Green Bay, and he’ll proudly enter the Packers HOF in the not too distant future.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Yep. 1year, $7million is what I've heard.
    Vikes released Alexander Mattison and signed Sam Darnold at QB. Will be a new backfield for MIN.

Is really going to be hard to watch Jones run against GB.

I think Jones made a bad decision here. He's likely played his last playoff game.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    I think Jones made a bad decision here. He's likely played his last playoff game.
    Virtually everyone has an ego. The ego keeps the tilting poker player at the tables and consequently turns her into a notorious punter.

Jone’s ego is telling him to sign with the Queens for a chance to stick it to the German Shepherd twice a year.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Vikes are a dumpster fire at this point.

The coolest Packer since Donald Driver will be wearing purple in the most artificial environment in the NFL with either Sam Darnold or a rookie as his QB. Sigh.

Certainly seems like this is Jones trying to stick it to the Packers. It’s not like he’s making a king’s ransom for the Vikings compared to what the Packers were looking for him to accept, and he signed very quickly. This will absolutely impact his legacy as a Packer, no different than Favre. Still a great Packer, but this move will reduce his luster as a former Packer…and how much extra coin did he get for that? Not much.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Or he saw a field of FAs (no complete/healthy feature backs, though: Derrick Henry, Joe Mixon, JK Dobbins, D'Onta Forman, Alexander Mattison, CE-H) and draftees, and felt squeamish about what was available for starter money. A one-year deal for a running back is practically a final contract (not even a signing bonus that could get split to next season's cap when the Vikings part ways with him after missing the playoffs).

His 1-for-$7M is better than Ekeler, Zack Moss, Antonio Gibson, or Gus Edwards' got for per-year values. Only Saquon, Josh Jacobs, Pollard, and D'Andre got better so far, and a flipside way of looking at it is those spots are no longer available.

I got nothing against AJ signing quickly once he was told to take less or start packing.

Plus, Jones has four games against common opponents that he can look good against, particularly the Bears.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Certainly seems like this is Jones trying to stick it to the Packers. It’s not like he’s making a king’s ransom for the Vikings compared to what the Packers were looking for him to accept, and he signed very quickly. This will absolutely impact his legacy as a Packer, no different than Favre. Still a great Packer, but this move will reduce his luster as a former Packer…and how much extra coin did he get for that? Not much.
    Like I said, everyone has an ego, defined by the layman as “a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.” And that ego is as fragile and as sensitive as fuck.

We all know Bobble’s ego is as big as his net worth. That’s why he refuses to “acknowledge” myself as his “tribal chief,” as “head of the table” and/or as Packerrats’ top capologist. Yeah, yeah - we all would like to see Cody Rhodes finish his damn story at Wrestlemania, what, 40? Ain’t gonna happen. Roman Reigns is too damn good.

Anyways, unlike y’all, I am wishing ole AA-Ron the best in purple, except when he suits up against my beloved Pack.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Are they not paying this dude either way? They are paying _more_ on the cap for a worse player. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. That said that’s looking at one year in isolation knowing new Jones is front loaded. Still, I like old jones and don’t think this was a good choice

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have to wonder how those knees will hold up with so many turf games.

Hard truth is Packers likely got 80% of his best years if not all of them. This was the right move.